Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi Final 1: Sydney Swans Reserves v Aspley Hornets @ Blacktown

Semi Final 1: Sydney Swans Reserves v Aspley Hornets @ Blacktown

Especially with the senior bye round, my attention this weekend is turning to our semi-final v Aspley, who knocked out the reigning premiers, NT Thunder, this weekend (and who beat us in the GF in 2014). I hope to make it out to Blacktown this Saturday to see the match. And, ugg, I am impatient for your usual peerless match preview. If we make the GF next weekend, I will try and make it to that too if I'm in Sydney.

Which of the senior team are eligible to play? Can we assume that if a senior player is selected they are not in the frame for selection for the senior team's QF? Is it likely that either Marsh or Cunningham or both or neither would play? I'm guessing neither will play, although might Swampy need to keep building his match fitness? What about Towers? Will any or all of Robbo, Abe, Sinclair and Zak Jones be available to play and try and build some match fitness in the hope they may yet sneak (back) into the senior side this year? What about Talia? He didn't play our last reserves match, did he? If Naismith gets suspended will they hold Nankervis back?

Here's hoping we can avenge our 2014 after-the-siren loss against the Hornets!

On a side note, it's interesting how many of our players from that team have moved on to senior footy both with the Swans (Heeney, Hewett, Mills, Marsh, Mitchell, Jones, Naismith, Richards etc.) and elsewhere (Biggs, Membrey). I wonder if so many of the current team will have progressed in the next two years? Newman? O'Riordan? Foote? Dawson? Leonardis? Murray? And I wonder how many of those will be for other teams? It's sad to lose good players. Conversely BJ and Hiscox are currently stuck in the reserves. Where will they be in 2 more years?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The match starts at 11.25am and is part of a double header NEAFL prelim final, the second match being Giants v Sydney Uni starting 2.15pm

According to the official NEAFL 2016 rules and regulations http://neafl.com.au/uploads/media/NE...16_-_Final.pdf

Section 16.2 Finals Eligibility

(a) Any under 18 academy player/under 19 approved academy player does not have to play any Competition home and away matches to qualify.
    (b) Any listed player must have played a minimum of three (3) Competition home and away Matches for the club to qualify to play in the Competition finals series
    (c) In the event a listed player has played five (5) matches or more in the AFL, he must have played at least nine (9) Competition home and away Matches to qualify to play in the Competition finals series.
    (d) Notwithstanding anything with these Rules, should an AFL Club listed player not be selected to play for his AFL Club in an AFL match, that player will be eligible to play in the Competition finals series Match with the AFL Club Reserves team that same weekend, irrespective of whether or not he has played in a Competition Match that season.
    (e) Despite Rule 16.2(c), the AFL may grant in its absolute discretion an AFL Club listed player eligibility to play in the Competition finals series where:
    (i) the relevant senior AFL team has a bye/week off in the AFL finals;
    (ii) the player played in the previous week of the NEAFL Finals; or
    (iii) the player missed a number of weeks of football due to injury.

So pending AFL approval, everyone should be eligible for this week's prelim final. The only restriction being we are limited to a maximum of 16 listed players.

If I were in charge at the Swans, I wouldn't play any of the 22 that played against Richmond as well as Mills who was being rested anyway.

If both Swans and Giants ressies win this weekend, the GF is scheduled for Sat 10th at a ground to be announced, when the seniors play the QF.

I doubt they will be keen to play a curtain raiser on ANZ given the normally less than ideal surface, so I wonder if the Swans would be prepared to give the Giants home ground advantage and play the game at Spotless as a psuedo curtain raiser. Throw the gates open and anybody with a ticket to ANZ gains entry. It will ensure a bigger crowd than if played at Blacktown and is just a short 200m stroll to ANZ for the main game.

Win/win...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    If I were in charge at the Swans, I wouldn't play any of the 22 that played against Richmond as well as Mills who was being rested anyway.
    If the club is confident that Mills will come back in for Marsh, I'd be playing Marsh. Certainly it would be against the spirit to play Cunningham, even if he is in the gun. To a lesser extent McGlynn, but I wouldn't be playing him regardless.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    If both Swans and Giants ressies win this weekend, the GF is scheduled for Sat 10th at a ground to be announced, when the seniors play the QF.

I doubt they will be keen to play a curtain raiser on ANZ given the normally less than ideal surface, so I wonder if the Swans would be prepared to give the Giants home ground advantage and play the game at Spotless as a psuedo curtain raiser. Throw the gates open and anybody with a ticket to ANZ gains entry. It will ensure a bigger crowd than if played at Blacktown and is just a short 200m stroll to ANZ for the main game.

Win/win...
    Nice idea, Triple B. It would add to the incentive for me to get to both games.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Nice idea, Triple B. It would add to the incentive for me to get to both games.
    I'd be all for that too - I would come up early to catch both games, as the ressies have been great to watch this year and deserve lots of support

Aspley won't be easy to beat though.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Aspley have beaten us in the 2 finals we've played them

2014 Grand Final by 2 points (after the siren urgh)
    2015 Semi Final by 7 points

Both times the game was played at Aspley's ground.

2016 was the first time we hosted them, at Blacktown, and we beat them by 63.

In 2014 they got a dubious free kick which was converted. Definitely a "home town" decision. Anyway that's ancient history now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Aspley have beaten us in the 2 finals we've played them

2014 Grand Final by 2 points (after the siren urgh)
    2015 Semi Final by 7 points

Both times the game was played at Aspley's ground.

2016 was the first time we hosted them, at Blacktown, and we beat them by 63.
    Final quarter free kick count was something like 10 to 1 in Aspley's favor I seem to recall.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Just looked up the team list for that game

Aspley Hornets v Sydney Swans Reserves, NEAFL Season 2014

Probably 7 and maybe 8 from that team will be playing in the Qualifying Final

Mitchell, Hewett, Naismith, Richards, Marsh, Heeney, Mills and Towers.

Jones might be in the team if he wasn't injured.

Also Biggs and Membrey are established first teamers at other clubs.

Plus the outcast ROK.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I'd be all for that too - I would come up early to catch both games, as the ressies have been great to watch this year and deserve lots of support

Aspley won't be easy to beat though.
    Heard Wilson, Veale & Baron-Hey went back & played Prems for North Shore,
    in a hard fought win over Pennant Hills.Reports on RWO say that the North Shore bench resembled a casualty ward !
    Does anyone know how these three are as they have been good contributors to the NEAFL team all year.(With a major semi due seem strange sending them back to play Prems BTW!).

Quote Originally Posted by Leaguey View Post
    Heard Wilson, Veale & Baron-Hey went back & played Prems for North Shore,
    in a hard fought win over Pennant Hills.Reports on RWO say that the North Shore bench resembled a casualty ward !
    Does anyone know how these three are as they have been good contributors to the NEAFL team all year.(With a major semi due seem strange sending them back to play Prems BTW!).
    Wilson in particular has been a significant contributor to the ressies team this year - I hope he is ok for the weekend. Veale and Baron-Hey have also played a fair bit - Ugg can provide much better detail than me however.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast