Page 102 of 196 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,213 to 1,224 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Tim English looks special at 204cm. He was playing in the midfield a couple of years ago than had a massive growth spurt. Tippet only has two years left. If he's still there at 19 take him.
    Just watched a video of this guy - looks very impressive - especially by hand and foot. Very light but skillful. Thats the thing Tippett will be gone in 3-4 years max and we currently have 3 ruckmen that are a bit injury prone.

I don't know much about the draft. But I think what Gold Coast will do will be interesting and affect what players will be available for us.

I can see
    1# Essendon - Mccluggage
    2# GWS - McGrath
    3# Brisbane - Petrevski Seton (apparently a fan so maybe less go home risk)
    4# Gold Coast - Bowes
    5# Carlton - one of Ainsworth, Brodie, Tarranto
    6# Gold Coast - ?
    7# Fremantle - English (or maybe Petrevski Seton if available)
    8# Gold Coast - ?
    9# Sydney -?
    10# Gold Coast -?

I wonder if Gold Coast would take two of Ainsworth, Brodie, Tarranto, who were generally rated as top 7.

Or because they have got four top 10 picks, instead take players of different positions eg Marshall full forward, Logue as defender, scrimshaw as half back, florent as a different type of midfielder.

Or possibly be weighing up other factors like go home likelihood or leadership qualities.

I'm pretty sure that Tim English will be taken by Freo at pick 7. I wouldn't be interested in him anyway.

I think we will be targeting Griffin Logue at pick 9. He tested exceptionally well. 5th in the 3km and tied for 1st in the beep test. He's listed as a key defender, but is that type of player who can play anywhere. He has a lot of Nick Riewoldt attributes, although not saying he will come up to that exceptional level. I think Logue is the best KPP in this year's draft. Josh Battle is also good and may not last till pick 19. Todd Marshall might be a star, but is too big a risk IMO. The only risk on Logue is that he's a West Australian and we will have to check out the go home factor, as we should with all WA boys. I think Logue should be available at 9, but would probably not last until pick 14. If you can get a top KPP in a draft, I think you should go for it.

There is a slim chance that either Ben Ainsworth or Tim Tarranto will available at pick 9. Either would be a fine addition to our club. Both are damaging players and can hit the scoreboard.

Outside of this group I am leaning towards Oliver Florent, a quick and skillful midfielder who can play inside, but would be an outside player for us.

There are several quick and skillful players that should be available at pick 19. Some will go earlier, but there will still be a few good ones there at our pick. It's hard to rank them, but I'll list them in rough order of how I rate them for the needs of the Swans.

1. Jordan Gallucci: Very quick and athletic outside midfielder with good skills
    2. Jarrod Berry: Powerful runner that can play any position. Hanners type bravery. Was captain of Vic Country. Kicking can be wayward.
    3. Jy Simpkin: Quick and skillful small forward coming back from injury.
    4. Alex Witherden: Medium paced defender with elite kicking and decision making skills. Future Nick Smith replacement.
    5. Daniel Venables: Injury prone, but powerful midfielder with pace and skills. Can play inside or outside.
    6. Will Hayward: Gary Rowan type. Quick, great mark with booming accurate kick. Slots them from 60 out. A quicker version of Dawson.
    7. Sam Powell-Pepper: Powerful hard running midfielder from WA who can play many positions. Breaks tackles. Kicks long, but erratic. Decision making questionable. Could be a Dustin Martin, but quicker.

My guess is that at least 3 of the above will be available at pick 19.

There are always players that slip in the draft and we might find a good one at pick 46. I think the quality runs a bit deeper this year than last and we still managed to pick up a couple of good prospects in the 50s.

I am pretty sure Tony Olango will be available at pick 49. Not many will be willing to invest 3 years or so to develop him only to see them leave once they've learned the trade. The situation may be a bit different than with Nanka in that when Olango is ready, Tippett and Sinclair will be ready to check out. Olango is very athletic for a big man and may also be a capable key defender or ruck forward in due course. At pick 49, I would roll the dice with him. He's got a lot of upside.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 20th October 2016 at 07:38 PM.

ok so last year we had to start the season

38 on the Seniors list

8 Rookies

we now have

IN:

Pick 9
    Pick 19
    Pick 46
    Pick 49

OUT: 6 players as per below

Ted Richards (retired)
    Ben McGlynn (retired)
    Tom Derickx (retired)
    Tom Mitchell (traded to Hawthorn)
    Toby Nankervis (traded to Richmond)
    Kyle Galloway (delisted)

If we keep X and Towers there is up to 6 spots to fill from last year

You would hazard a guess we may use all 4 picks i.e. 9,19,46,49 ? plus two other spots available as per last year

1. Rose
    2. AJ
    3. Macca
    4. Hannes
    5. Isaac
    6. ? (TomMitchell)
    7. HarryC
    8. Tippo
    9. Abe
    10. Zac
    11. Laids
    12. Kennedy
    13. ? (Nanny)
    14. Mills
    15. KJack
    16. Rohan
    17. Hiscox
    18. Sinclair
    19. ? (TomD)
    20. Reid
    21. ? (McGlynn)
    22. Towers
    23. Franklin
    24. Rampe
    25. ? (Ted)
    26. Parker
    27. Robinson
    28. Newman?
    29. Hewett
    30. Tyrone
    31. Marsh?
    32. Talia
    33. BJack
    34. Dawson
    35. Naismith
    36. AA
    39. Grundy
    40. Smith
    41. Papley?
    42. X
    44. Lloyd

Rookie:

38. Oriordan
    43. Melican
    45. Foote
    46. Murray
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Hope we don't do something silly with pick 9 like draft Shai Bolton or Todd Marshall
    What's wrong with them?

Veteran Site Admin
    If Towers and X both stay, there are just 5 senior spots to fill of which two are already committed to Papley and Newman. Marsh is also seen by the coaches as being of senior quality (not necessarily best 22) so might be elevated. Another one or two could yet get chopped from the senior list.

The senior list could be extended to 39 or 40 but I'd be surprised if that happened. The club has run with just 38 for many seasons now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Tim English will be taken by Freo at pick 7. I wouldn't be interested in him anyway.

I think we will be targeting Griffin Logue at pick 9. He tested exceptionally well. 5th in the 3km and tied for 1st in the beep test. He's listed as a key defender, but is that type of player who can play anywhere. He has a lot of Nick Riewoldt attributes, although not saying he will come up to that exceptional level. I think Logue is the best KPP in this year's draft. Josh Battle is also good and may not last till pick 19. Todd Marshall might be a star, but is too big a risk IMO. The only risk on Logue is that he's a West Australian and we will have to check out the go home factor, as we should with all WA boys. I think Logue should be available at 9, but would probably not last until pick 14. If you can get a top KPP in a draft, I think you should go for it.

There is a slim chance that either Ben Ainsworth or Tim Tarranto will available at pick 9. Either would be a fine addition to our club. Both are damaging players and can hit the scoreboard.

Outside of this group I am leaning towards Oliver Florent, a quick and skillful midfielder who can play inside, but would be an outside player for us.

There are several quick and skillful players that should be available at pick 19. Some will go earlier, but there will still be a few good ones there at our pick. It's hard to rank them, but I'll list them in rough order of how I rate them for the needs of the Swans.

2. Jarrod Berry: Powerful runner that can play any position. Hanners type bravery. Was captain of Vic Country. Kicking can be wayward.
    4. Alex Witherden: Medium paced defender with elite kicking and decision making skills. Future Nick Smith replacement.
    5. Daniel Venables: Injury prone, but powerful midfielder with pace and skills. Can play inside or outside.
    6. Will Hayward: Gary Rowan type. Quick, great mark with booming accurate kick. Slots them from 60 out. A quicker version of Dawson.
    7. Sam Powell-Pepper: Powerful hard running midfielder from WA who can play many positions. Breaks tackles. Kicks long, but erratic. Decision making questionable. Could be a Dustin Martin, but quicker.

There are always players that slip in the draft and we might find a good one at pick 46. I think the quality runs a bit deeper this year than last and we still managed to pick up a couple of good prospects in the 50s.

I am pretty sure Tony Olango will be available at pick 49. Not many will be willing to invest 3 years or so to develop him only to see them leave once they've learned the trade. The situation may be a bit different than with Nanka in that when Olango is ready, Tippett and Sinclair will be ready to check out. Olango is very athletic for a big man and may also be a capable key defender or ruck forward in due course. At pick 49, I would roll the dice with him. He's got a lot of upside.
    We're very interested in Luke Ryan from Coburg. Id be disappointed if we selected him with 19 but he might be a chance at 49.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I agree that English will be gone and I would only take him with 19 max. Jarrod Berry looks a likely type but if his disposal is not good then we should give him a miss.

Olango has a huge upside but would need a bit of work - ideal for Taubert.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My grammar and sentence construction really are dreadful this evening. And when someone has quoted your post, you can't go back and fix it up!!!
    Whew. Just catching up on the last two days having been flat out, I thought that somebody had hacked your account.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    100 games? He'd have been lucky to have got 100 minutes on the ground with us! Where is he these days?
    Last I heard, he had a sex change and is now playing as a tight end in American Football's Lingerie League.

Warning: It is possible that none of the above sentence is true.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Yeah I know that rule but as I said - "think about a ruckman" - if there is a good 'un I'd be prepared to use our second pick. Personally I don't think Sinclair will be long term and Tippett isn't getting any younger.
    We had one, I think his name was Nankervis, not a Gawn/Goldstein type but servicable and will improve in time. Tippett is getting older. Neeed to be below pick 46, that is after pick 46.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

I think Griffin Logue at pick 9 is ideal. I'd go for the best available outside midfield player with pick 19.