Page 145 of 196 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195 ... LastLast
Results 1,729 to 1,740 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think we'll definitely go for a ruckman in the draft as we have a nice two year development window until Tippett departs and thus the situation we had with Nanka could be avoided. We'll definitely get a quality young ruckman in the 40s I'd say, it's just a matter of who they rate the highest. I think a big bodied young guy who can potentially play the odd game in 2017 may be useful.

This draft really is make or break for Gold Coast, with four top ten picks plus Scheer who rated an early second rounder by most. I think they have also recruited well at the trade table and will probably bring in 5 quality mids (Lyons, Hanley, Bowes, Scheer and one other).

Absolutely no excuses now for that club and I'd say 10 wins is the absolute rock minimum for them next year and even that may be considered a failure.
    GC are definitely looking at a strong list after the draft, but will need to have GAJ and Swallow hold down the midfield next year because I don't think they can rely on 1st year players to carry the load. If they can retain Swallow, they should be a team on the move in '18.

Cal Twomey mentioned Olango on Road to the Draft as perhaps the 2nd best ruckman in the draft. It will probably be English, then a long gap before the next ruckman is taken, which could be us. It's always possible that Beatson has some big country kid hidden away that he has in mind for the rookie list.

Another longshot from WA is Sudanese player Ajang Ajang. I wonder what Brian Taylor would make of Aliir Aliir and Ajang Ajang on the same team. It will probably spell the end of his career as a broadcaster. Maybe we should have tried to get Majak Daw and corner the market. Then we could have Tony Olango and Daw singing their new hit single Ajang Ajang. (I can see now that I'm really going to miss Tom Derickx).

Ajang Ajang

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    I don't think winning hit outs is as big a deal as some make out. If there are ruck injuries I'd be happy with Sam Reid or AA pinch hitting. Yes they'll lose hit outs but both are athletic and would be handy around the ground
    It's not the Firsts I was lamenting about regarding ruckmen, that's my point, the Firsts will have all the talls. The cupboard is looking pretty bare at the moment for the Reserves in that department! No Richards, Davis, Nankervis, Aliir ...... Rhyce Shaw is going to have quite a challenge (that is if he is still Reserves coach) next year. This year having two of either Naismith, Nankervis or Dericks in the team for much of the time, in hindsight, must have contributed quite a bit to its success. I forgot about Galloway too.

we were rumoured a while back of maybe having interest in a mature age player that made the draft this year with our second pick

21. Luke Ryan
    General Defender (Coburg/VFL)
    06/02/1996 | 185cm | 82kg

Scouting notes: General defender who is a big chance to be drafted in the first round. Appears skinny when watching but is built enough in defence. Mostly collects his possessions uncontested but can intercept and mark the ball.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    It's not the Firsts I was lamenting about regarding ruckmen, that's my point, the Firsts will have all the talls. The cupboard is looking pretty bare at the moment for the Reserves in that department! No Richards, Davis, Nankervis, Aliir ...... Rhyce Shaw is going to have quite a challenge (that is if he is still Reserves coach) next year. This year having two of either Naismith, Nankervis or Dericks in the team for much of the time, in hindsight, must have contributed quite a bit to its success. I forgot about Galloway too.
    Ah my bad. Yeah i think recruiting one or 2 developing ruckman or ruck/forwards via the draft and rookie draft is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opti-pessi-misti
    That's OK I am just trying to make a case for taking Logue with our first draft pick - if he is available. I know he's not a ruckman but he is a 'tall'!
    Last edited by rojo; 4th November 2016 at 11:36 PM.

Regular in the Side
    i still reckon we need a big bodied mature mid for either a late pick/psd or delisted FA...i like barlow, he is too classy not to be on a list and would be good not only back up but take some of the inside load off JPK otherwise he wont last another 3 years the way he plays...

Berry, Veneables or Logue for me...we need some outside mid speed for sure..

I heard recently that the % of midfielders taken in the top 10 of the draft has a very high amount of games played versus talls or rucks taken in the top 10

Does anyone know where u can find these type of stats easily ?

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    we were rumoured a while back of maybe having interest in a mature age player that made the draft this year with our second pick

21. Luke Ryan
    General Defender (Coburg/VFL)
    06/02/1996 | 185cm | 82kg

Scouting notes: General defender who is a big chance to be drafted in the first round. Appears skinny when watching but is built enough in defence. Mostly collects his possessions uncontested but can intercept and mark the ball.
    Oops What I meant to say is that this profile sounds about as unappealing as they come. not big enough, gets easy possessions, utility type.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

No matter how good Logue is, there's no point in picking him. He'll eventually get home sickness and return to a WA club.
    Lewis Jetta, Brad Hill, Cam McCarthy, Marcus Adams etc. - The writings on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by tlock View Post
    No matter how good Logue is, there's no point in picking him. He'll eventually get home sickness and return to a WA club.
    Lewis Jetta, Brad Hill, Cam McCarthy, Marcus Adams etc. - The writings on the wall
    The 2 best West Australian players in history first played in Melbourne before moving to the Swans: Buddy Franklin and Tom Derickx.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The 2 best West Australian players in history first played in Melbourne before moving to the Swans: Buddy Franklin and Tom Derickx.
    Convinced me.
    And just as an aside, South Melbourne actually got the nickname of the Swans, because of the large number of West Australians, brought in to play for them in the 1930s

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybloods View Post
    Ah my bad.
    Does that mean "mistake" in normal English?
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.