Page 191 of 196 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,292 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Warming the Bench
    I have a good feeling about Shaun Edwards after reading this from the swans website

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2...by-opportunity

Sounds super keen. I hope he works hard and become a regular, sounds like he could be a handy outside mid

Senior Player
    The Pink selection reminds me of the other red head key forward we picked up from SA a few years ago in the rookie draft from nowhere, Ben Haren

I hope I'm proven wrong, and its only a gut feel, but it seems like an extremely long shot

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Ben Haren was a strange case, he played okay in the preseason and the first few reserves games (15 goals in 7 games) then was not sighted again (on the field or on the injury list).

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Sam Fisher v. Jake Brown

If I understand the academy and zone rules correctly, and I may not (Meg and Liz can correct me if I've slipped up here), I figure taking Fisher was a smart strategic move.

Fisher was available to us under the same rule that brought us Harry Cunningham. It was an opportunity to grab a player in the GSW academy zone. Jake Brown, being a Swans Academy player will still be available to us next year as an academy player, so we retain first access to him in the 2017 draft. Fisher, if not drafted, would revert to a GWS Academy selection next year, where they would get another crack at taking him.

So we actually go Fisher for free, so to speak, since Brown can stay in our academy another year and play with our reserves as a top up.
    Now the dust is settling & with a reasonable look at the new draftees I find it bemusing that the academy has been totally ignored.The Swans spend several years developing young academy players,2016 beat GWS in the 3 academy game series at start of the year,then invest in players for a year in the NEAFL, gain 2 rising stars nominations & play at least 17 games each.Understanding not everyone is a Heeney or Mills but may develop into good players.For example I thought one of them a least deserved another year in order Wilson,Hebron,Reinhard plus Brown. I would be questioning the relevance of the academy's role.We nominate 6 none taken, GWS 9 taken including one to Swans ! I suppose in football teams if their not good enough they're
    not good enough but appears a waste of effort.Just saying !

Great post, well supported. However, not sure if it means the Academy program is a waste of effort because one year none are taken.

The points you make certainly raise my eyebrows but if there were 9 GWS players all better than our best, so be it. If that happens 3 years in a row then I would begin to question the effectiveness of the academy program and staff.

Sorry,meant more about this particular year than whole of academy,because if you read other posts,this year was the strongest list outside of young Brown & Blakey coming along !

The Swans may have a great academy program, but there's no guarantee that the talent will be there. As disappointing as it may be that we didn't produce an academy player his year, except for Ben Davis, there is no point drafting players onto our list who are not going to make it. It wastes everyone's time. It doesn't preclude those academy players who were nominated from continuing their pursuit of an AFL career elsewhere. There were many players who nominated for the draft who missed out that were far better prospects than our academy nominees. That's just the way it is. I don't think it reflects poorly on anyone, neither our academy nor the nominees. GWS were gifted a far superior zone than we were. There are commercial reasons driving the pursuit of GSW success. Everyone has to live with that.

Agree !

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    GWS were gifted a far superior zone than we were. There are commercial reasons driving the pursuit of GSW success. Everyone has to live with that.
    We do have to recognise it as a fact of life, but we don't have to like it or even accept it. We are entitled to keep being critical of it and to continue to call for the AFL to change its approach. Setting them up for success is one thing, setting them up for a 5-year dynasty is another thing entirely.

Goes up to 11
    When the GWS 'Academy' makes a decent contribution to western Sydney footballing stocks I'll sit up and take notice. Until then it's just a rort.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaguey View Post
    Now the dust is settling & with a reasonable look at the new draftees I find it bemusing that the academy has been totally ignored.The Swans spend several years developing young academy players,2016 beat GWS in the 3 academy game series at start of the year,then invest in players for a year in the NEAFL, gain 2 rising stars nominations & play at least 17 games each.Understanding not everyone is a Heeney or Mills but may develop into good players.For example I thought one of them a least deserved another year in order Wilson,Hebron,Reinhard plus Brown. I would be questioning the relevance of the academy's role.We nominate 6 none taken, GWS 9 taken including one to Swans ! I suppose in football teams if their not good enough they're
    not good enough but appears a waste of effort.Just saying !
    I think there is something happening with the Academy and the NEAFL Development Squad. Last year was the first year the Academy effectively increased the age limit from 18 to 19 years. Given they get priority over the 19 year olds it makes sense for them to use their draft picks on interstate talent, whilst banking the academy players in the NEAFL. By doing so they get to develop not only the interstate draft picks but also the 19 year old academy players. Both groups get the same development it is just that the draftees get paid and the 19 year old academy players support themselves (usually the parents).

This is a smart move and provides an advantage over the Melbourne clubs who run VFL teams that are not as tightly integrated, and they have no drafting discount. The fact that the draft discount continues has not been worked out yet by the likes of Eddie Maguire but I think it will become an issue.

Again, I think it will be interesting what happens with Wilson, Reinhart etc. If they continue to play NEAFL next year, and then get discount drafted, then I think the swans have devised a cunning plan to effectively double the number of draftees without having to pay the extra salaries for the older Academy players.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Again, I think it will be interesting what happens with Wilson, Reinhart etc. If they continue to play NEAFL next year, and then get discount drafted, then I think the swans have devised a cunning plan to effectively double the number of draftees without having to pay the extra salaries for the older Academy players.
    Were the likes of Wilson and Reinhart not already 19 yos in season 2016?