Page 192 of 196 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196 LastLast
Results 2,293 to 2,304 of 2341

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Were the likes of Wilson and Reinhart not already 19 yos in season 2016?
    I think they were and Brown was still 18. I am assuming the draft discount continues as long as they keep nominating for the draft (which they did this year). I could be wrong, in which case I could see the swans then losing interest in them if they don't think they will make it. On the other hand it doesn't cost them to give them games in the NEAFL (other than blocking more junior talent)

Again, I think it will be interesting what happens with Wilson, Reinhart etc. If they continue to play NEAFL next year, and then get discount drafted, then I think the swans have devised a cunning plan to effectively double the number of draftees without having to pay the extra salaries for the older Academy players.[/QUOTE]

mmmm interesting,I also think when academy players nominate for draft the academy club has dibs for 3 years.

It is important to remember that all clubs have access to our academy players and can draft them in the ND too if they like, just without the discount (because they haven't found them and paid for their development) and provided we don't match the bid. So it's not like we are sneakily locking them away from other clubs while simultaneously screwing over the players by paying them nothing. I don't really think there is anything for anyone to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It is important to remember that all clubs have access to our academy players and can draft them in the ND too if they like, just without the discount (because they haven't found them and paid for their development) and provided we don't match the bid. So it's not like we are sneakily locking them away from other clubs while simultaneously screwing over the players by paying them nothing. I don't really think there is anything for anyone to complain about.
    I agree, but I have a funny feeling people like Eddie McGuire will not agree! I just think that the academy system is enabling a second path for players to get to senior level in addition to the draft and the swans will take advantage of this opportunity. As a consequence I think the draft will be used for gun players like mills, heeney, blakely and to bring in interstate talent. The NDS will be used to move local talent through the system with a view to drafting when they are ready to play at senior level.

It makes perfect sense to me, and the continuation of the discount provides the swans with the incentive to keep investing in the academy kids (and NSW footy) beyond 18.

I don't think the swans try to hide the kids, rather the clubs are quite TAC centric, and the discount scares them away. The fact that the swans asked for the NSW RAMs under 18 side to be disbanded for next year to enable the swans to field a stand alone side in Div 2 under 18 comp proves that.

Veterans List
    Maibaum looks a good size and shape for an 18yo KP player. U18AA to boot, could prove a bargain at that pick.

I don''t believe this has been posted yet, Will Hayward's 9 Goal Final
    If he can produce something similar on a consistent basis, what a weapon in our F50.
    "In some ways we?re less predictable to ourselves and sometimes that can be detrimental because we don?t really know where we?re going" - P.Roos

Just watched the video of Nat Edwards interviewing Oliver Florent with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background. Made me shed a few tears. But what a mature, intelligent young man is Florent. Both his mother and father have much to be proud of, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun.. View Post
    If he can produce something similar on a consistent basis, what a weapon in our F50.
    Thanks Shaun. Quite impressive albeit against a very ordinary opposition. He doesn't appear to have a left foot which will make it a tad more difficult at AFL level. I loved his defensive pressure and his ability to move through traffic. He reminds me of Rohan.

Gee isn't the SANFL a sad state of affairs these days. It was a Prelim Final And there was no one at the game .

Thanks for that, it's a very impressive highlight reel. He's certainly got the range from outside 50, which should only improve. Also seems to be able to apply plenty of tackling pressure and was able to set up a few for his team mates.
    Looking forward to seeing him develop next season.

Senior Player
    Yep, very exciting.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Just watched the video of Nat Edwards interviewing Oliver Florent with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background. Made me shed a few tears. But what a mature, intelligent young man is Florent. Both his mother and father have much to be proud of, I suspect.
    Yep, exactly. Picked for skills *and* character. An investment in a future leader. Love that smooth movement around the packs, too. Great pick, can't wait to watch him develop at our club.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    ........ Gee isn't the SANFL a sad state of affairs these days. It was a Prelim Final And there was no one at the game .
    Was an U18 game, the SANFL finals got very healthy numbers watching, I attended a couple myself, being a SOUTH Adelaide supporter. Also follow SOUTH Sydney Rabbitoh's and SOUTH Melbourne :-)