Page 4 of 196 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    Teams without huge salary cap space?

If he chooses to move then JOM would be restricted, so we'd need to trade for him.
    Even still, the player saying they want to go to XYZ club seems to get the deal done. Other clubs are reluctant to get involved for fear of picking up damaged goods.

I don't think any free agency bid has been matched so far? (Despite JOM it being a free agent)

Zero chance that we're chasing JOM unless we're planning to give them one of our premium mids (e.g. Hanners, Parker) in return. Outside of that we don't have the trade currency, nor the salary cap space.
    When a player wants to leave a club, then that club has limited trading power. If the club doesn't want to accept whats being offered then they have the option to reject, force the player into the PSD and risk getting nothing. With Prestia and JOM reportedly wanting out, I don't think they will risk that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    When a player wants to leave a club, then that club has limited trading power. If the club doesn't want to accept whats being offered then they have the option to reject, force the player into the PSD and risk getting nothing. With Prestia and JOM reportedly wanting out, I don't think they will risk that.
    It's more than just the ability to trade for the player though. The only way JOM nominates Sydney is if he has agreed in principle to contract terms. We need the ability to pay his salary, which won't happen without us shedding someone we don't want to lose.

I'd love for us to grab this type of potential superstar, but not if it means jeopardising our list. Other clubs will have more money available and better draft picks to trade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Even still, the player saying they want to go to XYZ club seems to get the deal done.
    Other clubs will have more cash to throw at him and any big money offer from the Swans would require us to make cuts from our list to free up salary space. Can't see us breaking the bank to add another midfielder to our ranks. I love how he plays (when not injured), but we have more pressing areas to focus our recruiting.

Is there any indication we are under serious cap pressure? Weve shipped out quite a few older stars since we brought anyone substantial in.

I'd love for us to grab this type of potential superstar, but not if it means jeopardising our list. Other clubs will have more money available and better draft picks to trade.
    We had the same argument with Buddy. I trust the club to make these long term decisions. I'm sure they have 1, 2, 5, 10 and 15 years plans. At the beggining of the year they probably didn't have any plans to go aftwr JOM. But the improvement of some of our younger players probably gives them the confidence to let some Established players go like Mitchell and Reid. Both are on reasonable coin. Richards and McGlynn are not likely to be there next year either. The development of Naismith and Nankervis would also give them confidence in renegotiating Tippett's contract on better terms when he is due for renewal.

Players have most of the power when it comes to trade. Other clubs are very reluctant to pick up a player if they don't want to play for them. As we have seen with Cam McCarthy, they will even sit out a season if they don't get what they want. I also doubt clubs will be offering JOM 700-800k for long term contracts with his injury history. For all we know, if he really wants to come and play for the Swans and learn his trade from the best midfield in the league then he may be willing to sign a 500K contract for 2 years with a 2 year extension trigger if he meets KPI's. Our team is only going to make him better and improve his value.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

While O�Meara is a Western Australian, there has been more speculation about him crossing to a Melbourne or Sydney-based club in 2017 if he opts to leave the Suns. The Swans say they would not have the salary cap room to accommodate O�Meara,

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Unless of course we make room.

Yes. Is that with or without Mitchell?

- - - Updated - - -

Zero chance that we're chasing JOM unless we're planning to give them one of our premium mids (e.g. Hanners, Parker) in return. Outside of that we don't have the trade currency, nor the salary cap space.
    Unless we (ahem) get involved in a three way with Hawthorn and Gold Coast.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I could see JOM going to GWS if they can fit him in their salary cap. They certainly would have the most to offer the Suns in trade value. JOM's from WA, so there's no go home factor to a Victorian club and playing in finals for the rest of your career would be attractive as well.

We've got JPK and Sam Reid out of contract and free agents next year, so we can't be throwing around big money at anyone if we want to re-sign them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We've got JPK and Sam Reid out of contract and free agents next year, so we can't be throwing around big money at anyone if we want to re-sign them.
    JPK is a must keep. Sam Reid....meh!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    JPK is a must keep. Sam Reid....meh!
    I'm a greedy man. Keep both I say!

I hope omeara stays at the gold coast. They need him more than us.