Page 8 of 196 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 trading and drafting (merged thread)

Veteran Site Admin
    There is a young chap who recently won the NSW MVP award at the U16 championships and who stands 193cm (already). His father has a fair AFL pedigree (playing over 350 games). He's also in the Swans academy (and potentially eligible to two other clubs under the FS rule).

Before there was Tippett and Franklin we probably saw Sam Reid as a future KPF, but as things have turned out he will never be a KPF with us. He plays the present role of Xavier Richards, or he could be a wingman or key defender. His versatility is his greatest strength. With Sam's injury history he will probably be forced into retirement before Buddy goes. A KPF is the main go to goal kicker on the team. That's Buddy, followed by Tippo.

We will have a first round pick this year and next year to get a couple of KPF prospects. We are likely to get a first round pick for Tom Mitchell, if he's traded and there's that kid Liz mentioned for the 2018 draft. There are 2 possibilities that might be available at our first pick this year in Patrick Kerr and Josh Battle. Next year is supposed to have a good selection of KPPs. Buddy's got 6 years left on his contract. I think Aliir can play forward if we want, but with Buddy in our side, he's better off in defence. Abe Davis will be a very good player, although probably not a main target KPF but who knows; he's still young. And maybe by the time Buddy and Tippo are gone, we will pull off another Buddy-like trade. Jesse Hogan will be a free agent when Buddy's contract ends. And Pauline Hanson will be PM, so we've got a lot more to worry about than our KPF stocks in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There is a young chap who recently won the NSW MVP award at the U16 championships and who stands 193cm (already). His father has a fair AFL pedigree (playing over 350 games). He's also in the Swans academy (and potentially eligible to two other clubs under the FS rule).
    And no way in the world he's going to North Melbourne, if his old man wants to keep his job.

Senior Player
    We once had a big athletic Key Position Forward who was much maligned by almost all who posted on RWO. He was paid probably about 50% of the pay packet that young Sam pocketed. Much venom was cast in his direction and when he was traded many rejoiced.
    I present for your perusal the indisputable facts that show that there was very little between them statistically, although the maligned one had a 20% higher return in scoring.
    AFL Player Comparison - FinalSiren.com
    Last edited by Faunac8; 4th September 2016 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Before there was Tippett and Franklin we probably saw Sam Reid as a future KPF, but as things have turned out he will never be a KPF with us. He plays the present role of Xavier Richards, or he could be a wingman or key defender. His versatility is his greatest strength. With Sam's injury history he will probably be forced into retirement before Buddy goes. A KPF is the main go to goal kicker on the team. That's Buddy, followed by Tippo.
    Um, this.
    Kind of sums up the Reid issue.
    Add that he didn't work in the back line and he's gonna struggle to find a place.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    We once had a big athletic Key Position Forward who was much maligned by almost all who posted on RWO. He was paid probably about 50% of the pay packet that young Sam pocketed. Much venom was cast in his direction and when he was traded many rejoiced.
    I present for your perusal the indisputable facts that show that there was very little between them statistically, although the maligned one had a 20% higher return in scoring.
    AFL Player Comparison - FinalSiren.com
    Fascinating how Reid and White have had such similar unproductive careers.

Read that Adam Tomlinson has committed to GWS. With Corr on their list and McCreadie to be drafted this year, I would think that KPD Sydney boy Jeremy Finlayson should be very getable if we want him. He's been impressive in the NEAFL. He's out of contract and surely he can't see a future at the Giants. But he would have a fight on his hands for a spot in our defence as well. But we would have the 'stay home' factor on our side. There are also some reasonable KPD prospects that might be available at our second round pick this year. With all the worry about our depth at the beginning of year, especially at KPD, we are now looking very strong, even in a post-Grundy era.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't tease us Liz, who would this be, a Langford?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Don't tease us Liz, who would this be, a Langford?
    Nicholas Blakey?

It will be fascinating to see how the off-season unfolds but for once, after that frigging trade ban, we'll be holding a few cards.

I can see three definites as being de-lists (Ted, Tom and Jack) I still think McGlynn will be cut which makes it four but I do think he is one of Horse's pets and if he has a big finals series then he may demand an extra year.

I can see Towers and Nankervis leaving. Towers is 26 and needs and deserves regular senior footy and financially he will be able to get a better deal somewhere else. Likewise I can see Nankervis leaving for the same reason and he is just perfect to be cherry-picked. I'd expect a late second rounder for each of these guys.

Mitchell I think is 50-50 but let's assume if he stays McGlynn goes and vice versa so we are talking six outs.

I'd upgrade Newman and Papley with Marsh being promised the AJ LTIL upgrade and Foote, who still has a lot of work to do to break into our midfield, having a make or break year as a third year rookie.

I would try and recruit Finlayson from GWS as defensive cover and a development player, say with our third round pick.

I'd try and use one of our Nanka/Towers picks to get us an upgraded second round selection leaving us with picks around 18,24 and 40. With our three picks I'd take the two best available mids with the first two selections and the best available ruckman with our other Nanka/Towers compo (circa Pick 40) (Tony Olango if he is available)

I'd also keep enough room in the cap to expand our list to 39 and match a late bid for Jake Brown if it comes in. I'd look at Liam Maze as a rookie listed ruckman since we'd be losing three if Galloway is also delisted.

Ideally I'd like to see us keeping our current stable of ruckmen as they have served us well this year and we have needed all four of them but I just have a feeling Toby feels he can do better after four years than being #4 in the ruck stakes.

If Mitchell was to be traded (and I hope he stays) I'd take a first rounder in 2017 because right now I think our list is pretty solid and an extra first rounder next year just give us that ace in the pack if we need to trade someone in then.

Veterans List
    Hadn't thought about a 2017 first rounder for Mitchell if he goes but thinking about it, seems the way to go and more palatable for possible suitors.

Veterans List
    Longmire said in his presser that Reid was the only player missing from our QF lineup, looks like Sam is still a required player despite people wanting to trade him out.

Longmire said in his presser that Reid was the only player missing from our QF lineup, looks like Sam is still a required player despite people wanting to trade him out.
    I for one would prefer a fit Sam Reid to a fit Xavier Richards. I think Sam is the best option for us in that role. But it doesn't necessarily make him a required player, just the best player for the job at the moment. I would like to see us work something out with Sam before the trade period ends so we know what he's likely to do as a free agent next year. I can't predict where those conversations will lead. There are too many variables.

Senior Player
    Seriously though even if he was fit why would you play him in a game as important as this? Methinks John is keeping an eye on RWO and is just fanning the flames of discussion ????