Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Giants @ Blacktown Sunday 11th Sept 1.30pm

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I love having the giants here in sydney. Yesterday's game was awesome for first 2.5 quarters.
    Neafl gf was a great last quarter.

What the glass half empty'ers fail to realize is that GWS bring in a lot of talent into sydney. Some will like it and stay. We should be targetting them.

It must be easier to convince s fringe GWs player to come to swans than any other club .
    Then you should just barrack for them then. You live out there, it makes sense. See ya.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I hate the Giants. Got that out of my system. Good.

Strange game in the sense that, on paper, the Giants were much stronger (in the sense that their reserves players are comprised substantially of quite high draft picks while ours are mostly ex-rookies). I didn't think our more experienced Swans players played that well and yet we were in it right up to the end. In particular, I thought Cunningham and Towers were disappointing for players with as much senior experience under their belts as they have.

The players who kept us in it with their intensity were, IMO, Jack (but butchered the ball a bit), Jones, Rose, Foote, Newman and Leonardis. Surprised to see Leonardis not named amongst the best. I thought he was terrific. Murray, Robinson and Melican were OK too. Davis looked a little slow - probably struggling for fitness after a decent stint out injured. Ted did OK in defence but dropped a mark at a crucial time to give the Giants back the lead. Dawson's intensity wasn't as good as I might have hoped. Hope he has a strong pre-season and gets his body right because his season hasn't progressed as well as his pre-season campaign suggested it might.

The losses of Jones and Leonardis in the final quarter didn't help the Swans' cause. And Nankervis would have made a world of difference out there.
    As always, a good summation Liz. I was impressed by Leonardis before the injury, he did very well.

Cant believe again Galloway got a big duck egg in terms of possessions! All credit to TDrex for valiant efforts in the ruck, basically toiling all day long by himself.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I have no issue with the split of the zone in Sydney - although as you say, seems GWS got the lions share. But the fact is they don't need to even focus on developing players in that zone while they have access to those guys down round the border area - who are already playing football, many go to school in Victoria, and which the GWS academy has to do the bare minimum to develop. I know Mug Punter goes hard on this topic every time it comes up, and I agree with him. It is as close to a 'zone' selection as one can get under the current setup.

The academies should be used to grow the game in areas where AFL is clearly not a 1st choice sport, and there is genuine competition for developing youngsters into AFL standard players. It shouldn't be a workaround to get access to existing talent, which a reasonable part of the zone GWS has down round the border areas clearly fits into.
    I do go hard on it I know, for the following reasons:

(a) The Academy system is all about developing players from non traditional football areas; and '
    (b) I fear that the GWS situation could see the entire system being destroyed as collateral damage

But at the same time I do think that the Academy system is about building local lists to both the negate the go-home factor that is cruelling Brisbane and also increase the level of community engagement. And in this respect we have a huge head start on GWS - if you have a look at their list there are very few GWS Academy players on the list yet but this will change and quickly.

The GWS list and any success this year will not be as a result of their academy selections but their list concessions that they have managed so well, and in that respect they have nothing to apologise about.

But when their next wave of gun kids come from Victorian border towns (most come from Albury which is NOT a development area) at discounted levels then there will be open warfare on the Academy System as a whole and my fear is that if it is not re-jigged then the best thing to happen in NSW and QLD football will be lost.

And GWS haven't helped their cause by their lack of investment in Sydney football but it is human nature to take the easy route so why should they when they can just cherry pick the best kids from the TAC Cup from the Murray Bushrangers.

It's just my personal view but I think there is a strong argument that Riverina is a "battleground" area with the NRL but I would think anything south of Wagga should not be a GWS area and any development should be AFL funded.

Canberra, the upper Riverina and Western Sydney (the fastest growing urban region in Australia) should be more than enough for GWS to work with, they just need to get working and make the area that bears their name a priority, because I can assure you that area has gone backwards at a huge rate since their arrival and that is a deplorable state of affairs.

Maybe it needs to changed on a phased basis and most definitely the Western Sydney development program needs to be funded properly, by the AFL if necessary even though we fund our own academy internally. But the current situation with GWS simply won't pass the sniff test down south. They can cop us getting Callum Mills when they see him in a Warringah Rugny jersey at 13 and they can cop Issaac Heeney coming from Newcastle saying he'd be playing NRL but they can't cop GWS claiming a bunch of kids playing in a traditional AFL area in the country's top development pathway (the TAC Cup) from a town on the Victorian border and nor should they.

One other thing, I must say that I was impressed by the level of support that the Giants had at BISP today.

We tend to sneer at them as being plastic fans, I know I do, but their turnout today was an indicator that they are doing something right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    One other thing, I must say that I was impressed by the level of support that the Giants had at BISP today.

We tend to sneer at them as being plastic fans, I know I do, but their turnout today was an indicator that they are doing something right there.
    Yep, that was a great turnout. Two very good teams. They should have the best squad in the AFL and to be so close to them is a great credit to our development staff (and the players).

If they get success at AFL level this year, then I can see the AFL retrospectively trimming them down a bit in the same way that they had a go at us.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veteran Site Admin
    Did anyone see what happened to Jones. When he went down it was a long long way off the ball, and I didn't see anything at all. Was it an accident? Did it actually happen when the ball was in the vicinity (but only became clear he was in trouble once the ball was on our forward 50m line)?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Make it happen.
    So from that reply, I take it that you can't find any evidence for your previous statement?

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Yep, that was a great turnout. Two very good teams. They should have the best squad in the AFL and to be so close to them is a great credit to our development staff (and the players).

If they get success at AFL level this year, then I can see the AFL retrospectively trimming them down a bit in the same way that they had a go at us.
    The list pipeline they have in place should ensure they have continued success, how much only time will tell but to me it is frightening. That team last night will, with the possible exceptions of Stevie J and Patful, run around again in 2017 but be 10-15% better. And we all say "what about the go home factor" but kids love winning flags.

I'm not sure what they can trim back really, the horse has bolted. And tbh I don't think the AFL could afford for them to be rubbish.

The only thing they can do is reign in the academy concessions to what they should have been to start with but I'd like it if GWS could at least get another 6-8 NSW boys on the list before they do that. I suspect that GWS will go hard at the academy recruits this year on that basis. Even without the academy kids they'd still have three first rounders plus two 2nds and that is before whatever they get for WHE, Steele etc.

This is a classic case of being careful what you wish for. GWS could just blow out a decade of hope for all the Bulldogs and Demons fans who are finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. And they could massively distort the history books with a manufactured entity.

And whilst they are clearly getting some new supporters due to winning, and we all know Sydney loves a winner, they are apparently so far from being financially viable it isn't funny. So you wonder how things will pan out when they have a blip - sure all their "Loyal" supporters talk about the "bad days" in 2012 and 2013 but, seriously, they all knew that success was just around the corner.

Anyway, they're not our problem but I just hope the collateral damage for us over the next five years is as minimal as possible.

If they win this year in front of 500 fans at the MCG it will be a fairytale but if they do it next year again then the knives will be out. It will make Eddie's Swans bashing seem like a picnic and it will make for fascinating viewing

What an outstanding afternoon of footy to witness live. The game had everything...tension, skill, physicality and a result that could have gone either way. Being able to go onto the ground and be standing next to the huddle listening to Shaw address his team is something Ill never forget.

Giants may be a good team but geez we are a GREAT club. Just about every Swans senior who played in the loss yesterday was there to offer support and cheer on the boys. Seeing the tears of disappointment roll down B Jack's face as one among many is an image I wont forget...even a reserves game means oh so much.

Make no mistake...the rivalry between the Swans and Giants is now oh so real. The distain between the two sets of supporters (respectful) was great to be apart of. Despite the loss, I loved every minute of being out there live to watch the game.

Newman was deservedly best afield. Liked Jack's leadership and talk on the field and Rose's intensity. Was a little disappointed in Towers and Cunningham's lack of influence overall. I have no doubt that we would have won had Laidler and Nankervis played and perhaps as simple if Jones did not go off half way through the final quarter. Hold your heads high lads...it was a tremendous effort and a great game of footy! Some photos of the day are included.

IMG_7364.jpgIMG_7365.jpgFullSizeRender (005).jpgNeafl GF.jpgNEAFL Anthem.jpg
    Swannies for life!

Rather than remove riverina zone of its that contentious . Why not just divi it up between swans and giants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    So from that reply, I take it that you can't find any evidence for your previous statement?
    I said we need to make it happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Then you should just barrack for them then. You live out there, it makes sense. See ya.
    Are you chanelling george bush... "either with us or against us "?

Did anyone see what happened to Jones. When he went down it was a long long way off the ball, and I didn't see anything at all. Was it an accident? Did it actually happen when the ball was in the vicinity (but only became clear he was in trouble once the ball was on our forward 50m line)?
    Got hit high either with a forearm/elbow in play, not long after releasing the ball - I'd argue while it may have been accidental high contact (just trying to hit him hard), but the guy that got him certainly didn't miss him, and should cop some time for it (I assume it can carry over to next season?).

You can see it on the neafl stream replay on youtube - 2 hours, 27 minutes, 50 seconds on the replay is the moment. http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8337537
    Last edited by mcs; 11th September 2016 at 09:00 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I didn't clearly see the incident, but previous posters, who were taping the game, seem sure that it was a flying elbow from Finlayson. I'm not sure how Reid also got hurt, but I'm fairly sure that the ball was nearby.
    I'd be interested to see the incident myself. Perhaps somebody who knows how to do those Tubechop thingies?

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast