Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mills is 2016 Rising Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I honestly couldn't do it no matter how much I was paid. I know it sounds silly turning down $1 million but there is no way I could be this passionate about another club.

But when it comes to a job that's a different story.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Yup that was my first thought. I couldn't barrack for another team. Not for anything. But when I thought about it a little harder, I wondered ... what price could tempt me (I haven't come up with a figure, as it's not a pleasant thought and no one is offering). I've given similar thought to what it would take to make me change jobs (a grapefruit & a movie voucher would probably suffice).
    I've always said if the Swans ever fold (they've come close a couple of times in my years) I'd never support anyone else.

I think Callum Mills is an interesting character. Watching how he carried himself over the last few years he certainly doesn't seem to get carried away by the glory of it all. Looking at some of the photos of the rising star event he is often barely smiling, whilst the other guys are lapping it up. My view is that he is highly motivated by his craft and not that interested in the ceremony and limelight. I admire this and I think this approach means he can continue to develop and make an even more significant contribution in the future. Imagine the focus and maturity to play in a position you have not played in before, in one of the top sides in the country, in your first year, and do such a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Stop sniffing the happy gas in the maternity ward!!
    I don't go up there ... only goswannette does & gets all clucky

She loves little trips up there every now & then.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I don't go up there ... only goswannette does & gets all clucky

She loves little trips up there every now & then.
    Sometimes you need a little baby innocence fix to get you through the day!!
    (Notice how I didn't say hurry up and have kids!!)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Sometimes you need a little baby innocence fix to get you through the day!!
    (Notice how I didn't say hurry up and have kids!!)
    You don't know how much I appreciate that!

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Heeney will likely sell more memberships but Mills looks like he'll shade him as a player.

As others have said already showing himself to be leadership material. Future captain and brownlow / norm smith medalist.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veterans List
    I was rewatching the Hawks game from earlier in the year and at one point Mills was outmarked (I think by Puopolo) and he was really angry at himself. I loved seeing that reaction.

That's an interesting hypothetical ... if someone offered you ... or any Swans fan here on RWO ... $200,000 a year to stop supporting the Swans & genuinely & passionately barrack for another team for up to 5 years, would you do it? You would be allowed to resume supporting the Swans after the agreed upon time, but the $200K stops at that time.
    Because essentially that is what could happen.
    Mills, the long time Swans supporter-turned-player, becomes AFL elite, another club offers him $200K/year above what we can pay. Would playing for a club you loved keep you over life-changing sums of money?
    For sure we'll be able to keep home grown stars easier than interstate kids.

It's a huge benefit of the academy system and getting a home grown list but I really see it as a removal of a disadvantage we have managed for decades. So far for the level playing field....

You only need to look at the Lions to see how the go home factor is just decimating them - poor buggers will probably get a priority pick and get picks 2 and 3 knowing full well that these kids will more than likely leave in 3 years.

Gold Coast could well go down the same route if they don't get success and GWS seem to be stacking their list with NSW kids asap (I reckon they'll take 6 academy kids this year) to try and get prevent it being a major issue.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    That's an interesting hypothetical ... if someone offered you ... or any Swans fan here on RWO ... $200,000 a year to stop supporting the Swans & genuinely & passionately barrack for another team for up to 5 years, would you do it? You would be allowed to resume supporting the Swans after the agreed upon time, but the $200K stops at that time.
    Because essentially that is what could happen.
    Mills, the long time Swans supporter-turned-player, becomes AFL elite, another club offers him $200K/year above what we can pay. Would playing for a club you loved keep you over life-changing sums of money?
    Some players take pride in being one-club players and will refuse lucrative offers from other clubs to preserve that loyalty.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Some players take pride in being one-club players and will refuse lucrative offers from other clubs to preserve that loyalty.
    That I do not doubt. And I hope Callum is one of those. Mine was just a hypothetical based on him being a Swans supporter who ended up playing for the club he barracked for. Is that enough to keep him a Swan for life?
    Was JPK - given his pedigree - a Hawks supporter as a kid? Situation is different, I know, as JPK didn't have opportunities at the Hawks. But if he was a Hawks fan, & the grandson/son of Hawthon royalty, playing for them would have been his dream (I would have thought). Possibly also Paul Hudson & Shane Tuck. Hopefully Mills is that good that he wouldn't shift because of lack of opportunity, but G.Ablett Jr moved for $ despite playing for the club he supported.
    As I said, it was a hypothetical question, not one I think will, or want to, happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was rewatching the Hawks game from earlier in the year and at one point Mills was outmarked (I think by Puopolo) and he was really angry at himself. I loved seeing that reaction.

I've been closely watching him most games this year, and that reaction is stock standard on the odd occasions he gets beaten one on one. He is absolutely filthy on himself each time, but doesn't linger on it to the point that he becomes distracted. Very good player, and in my opinion the only thing that will stop him from becoming an elite of the sport is injury.

I can hear the Bruce commentary already.

"Mills gathersss...through traffic...releases to Kennedy...on the overlap,,,back to Mills....deliverssssss....BUDDY!!! Oh he's a beauty that Mills. I know I say it often but we just expect so much from our champions. He reminds me so much of Chris Judd at his best. What do you think Lingy? Perhaps you're not the right person to ask seeing as though you didn't think he was worthy of the Rising Star all those years ago".

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    And very nicely played Dr J. In fact, special!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast