Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brace yourselves for yet another piece of junk journalism on academies, COLA & Mills

Veterans List
    Did he select 2009 because those draft picks in 2009 did next to nothing?

What would the 2008, 2010 or 2011 drafts provide by way of comparison?

If Mills was at Brisbane or Melbourne they wouldn't have Schache or Oliver either ...

Don't let it get to you. It's just what he wants.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    For the records , the following is from a Daily Telegraph post:

"Only a tiny handful of the current 650 academy members � and 1500 who have been through the program � will play the game at any decent level. Just a few athletic freaks will be transformed into AFL stars."

2 out of 1500, wow what a Big Advantage the Swans have!!!
    We have a few guys in NEAFL that have gone through the academy but think in the current team are Heeney, Mills and Naismith.

I see COLA as a way of previously attracting players to Sydney. Sydney was deemed to be 14% more expensive to live in then Melbourne so each players received a 8+% top up administered by the AFL. Once we started to get a body of players from Sydney/NSW (I think it is about 11 out of 44) the AFL put restriction on the pay out ie only players earn certain amount a year received the allowance ($250,000 a year?).

The academy is financed by QBE and Swans. It is needed as unlike the situation in Melbourne, there is no elite programs for the young kids to attend such as Clubs and colleges. Without the academy the stock of players to fill local clubs would be of ever lower quality. It is there to also build the game in a non traditional area.

We gain a player benefit from the academy as do Melbourne clubs from being in Melbourne. Josh Dunkley appears to be a Melbourne boy whose first preference was Melbourne Club then next on list Sydney.

I personally think father/son rule is more unfair then the academy situation.

I'm sure some of my figures as stated above are abit out but known are close. Stand to be corrected.

Wow. This writer has no journalistic integrity at all. Didn't provide research or quotes at all. Just wanted to rant and say what was in his head, basically. This should not have been approved or at the least been posted on a twitter or fb feed.

Veterans List
    Surprise surprise, Hawthorn barracker who has the ability to get hate articles published spews forth some anti Swans bile on the eve of our finals campaign.

I hope his reward is Hawks missing the GF.

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    We have a few guys in NEAFL that have gone through the academy but think in the current team are Heeney, Mills and Naismith.

I see COLA as a way of previously attracting players to Sydney. Sydney was deemed to be 14% more expensive to live in then Melbourne so each players received a 8+% top up administered by the AFL. Once we started to get a body of players from Sydney/NSW (I think it is about 11 out of 44) the AFL put restriction on the pay out ie only players earn certain amount a year received the allowance ($250,000 a year?).

The academy is financed by QBE and Swans. It is needed as unlike the situation in Melbourne, there is no elite programs for the young kids to attend such as Clubs and colleges. Without the academy the stock of players to fill local clubs would be of ever lower quality. It is there to also build the game in a non traditional area.

We gain a player benefit from the academy as do Melbourne clubs from being in Melbourne. Josh Dunkley appears to be a Melbourne boy whose first preference was Melbourne Club then next on list Sydney.

I personally think father/son rule is more unfair then the academy situation.

I'm sure some of my figures as stated above are abit out but known are close. Stand to be corrected.
    Naismith wasn't an academy player was he but rather a NSW priority pick in the rookie draft unless I am mistaken.

If the AFL wants to take over the academies and run all of them, then the criticism would be fair game. But while we are funding the thing, doing the hard yard to bring the kids through, then we should get priority access, but still pay fair market value (As we did for Mills). It is a reasonable outcome except for the numpties out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Wow. This writer has no journalistic integrity at all. Didn't provide research or quotes at all. Just wanted to rant and say what was in his head, basically. This should not have been approved or at the least been posted on a twitter or fb feed.
    You would think Fox Sports would at least fix it to make the definition of COLA correct....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Haven't read the article not going to. The fact that the Bulldogs selected Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore, Lachine Hunter and Zaine Cordy as father son selections having done no actual work to develop them. We pour millions into the academy to get two high quality players and as the Joker said in Dark Knight "everyone loses their minds"

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Don't rise to the bait and give this garbage oxygen. This is clearly some anonymous turd trying to establish a profile by generating controversy. Ignore it. To quote the great Johnny Cash: "Don't mention his name and his name will pass on".

Veterans List
    I won't be reading it, pissed off enough just reading this thread. Some 'journo's' don't deserve the title journalist. Liar would suffice in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Don't rise to the bait and give this garbage oxygen. This is clearly some anonymous turd trying to establish a profile by generating controversy. Ignore it. To quote the great Johnny Cash: "Don't mention his name and his name will pass on".
    Agreed. It's obvious what his intentions are. The last thing we need is another hawk leech in the media.

Ignore him. He'll go away.

Veterans List
    Hey you Hawks barracking Brett Geeves - hope you enjoy tonight's result! The Fourpeat is dead!

Senior Player
    Everyone understands the difference between journalism and opinion pieces right? I didn't read the article but maybe it was an opinion piece?
    A wise man once said " opinions are like aceholes everyone has one but we dont necessarily need to see or hear them "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast