Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brace yourselves for yet another piece of junk journalism on academies, COLA & Mills

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Brace yourselves for yet another piece of junk journalism on academies, COLA & Mills

Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

The wrongs in this piece of @@@@ article are piling up in front of me. Top of the pile is the simple fact that without the Swans academy, there would have been no Callum Mills playing AFL, period, with any club, period.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

I stopped at the "cash of living allowance".
    If he can't even get that right, the rest of the article is very wrong.
    Dickhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't the 2009 draft seven years ago?
    The game has changed A LOT over this time.
    Dickhead with NO idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Its RHYCE Shaw.
    Not Rhys.
    You think he or an editor would check these things.
    Trifecta... dickhead.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is Brett Geeves?
    Retired cricket player.
    Such credibility.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Hah hah! So you didn't stop at Cash of Living Allowance? Anyway, gotto go. Off to the supermarket to buy a packet of microwave popcorn, after which I'll login into Twitter and enjoy the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

The wrongs in this piece of @@@@ article are piling up in front of me. Top of the pile is the simple fact that without the Swans academy, there would have been no Callum Mills playing AFL, period, with any club, period.
    Yes, pathetic writing: I wouldn't even call it journalism. Though interestingly, I clicked on the comments section, expecting to see a collection of frothing at the mouth and conformist statements of agreement, but instead, it was full of people using rational argument to take him to task. Quite a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, pathetic writing: I wouldn't even call it journalism. Though interestingly, I clicked on the comments section, expecting to see a collection of frothing at the mouth and conformist statements of agreement, but instead, it was full of people using rational argument to take him to task. Quite a pleasant surprise.
    Absolute click bait article trying to drum up anti swans sentiment - no suprise there.

Also no suprise the author has no idea about afl - after all he is a former mediocre tasmanian cricketer employed solely by fox sports to write absolute nonsene like that article.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Wow.
    Just wow, what a ridiculously snippy article

I think Annie needs to post her helpful, rational corrections in the comments section. Annie?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Absolute click bait article trying to drum up anti swans sentiment - no suprise there.

Also no suprise the author has no idea about afl - after all he is a former mediocre tasmanian cricketer employed solely by fox sports to write absolute nonsene like that article.
    Yes, and he probably has some sort of strange fantasy about becoming the next, Bolt, Devine or whatever. He certainly used the common hack tactic of whining about future criticism, before it had been made.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    What a disgraceful piece of journalism!!Who the @@@@@@@ IS THIS IDIOT.? Without the money, time and effort the Swans Academy put into Callum Mills, there would be no Callum Mills to play for your precious Brisbane or Melbourne. HE would be playing rugby!!

There are comments!!
    I never got that far.

In for a penny, in for a pound Danzar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    I think Annie needs to post her helpful, rational corrections in the comments section. Annie?
    As you wish.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Yes, and he probably has some sort of strange fantasy about becoming the next, Bolt, Devine or whatever. He certainly used the common hack tactic of whining about future criticism, before it had been made.
    For the records , the following is from a Daily Telegraph post:

"Only a tiny handful of the current 650 academy members � and 1500 who have been through the program � will play the game at any decent level. Just a few athletic freaks will be transformed into AFL stars."

2 out of 1500, wow what a Big Advantage the Swans have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    For the records , the following is from a Daily Telegraph post:

"Only a tiny handful of the current 650 academy members � and 1500 who have been through the program � will play the game at any decent level. Just a few athletic freaks will be transformed into AFL stars."

2 out of 1500, wow what a Big Advantage the Swans have!!!
    Yes, and if someone wanted to do some actual journalism, they could investigate the payments that fall outside the club's salary cap: additional services agreements and third party player agreements. Unless I'm doing an internet search in entirely the wrong place, it seems like pretty well nothing has been written on the issue since the Judd/Visy deal blew up back in 2012. It seems that the AFL doesn't even release a summary of what is being paid? It also seems that no journalist has even bothered to try and track down what is being paid. Which is a shame, since I suspect that it is an area that clubs in traditional areas would enjoy an advantage. But who knows without any figures to go on?
    But it does seem like common sense, that if you're hiring an AFL player to represent your company, then the contracts would be higher in markets where players have the highest profile. And it's also not all that hard to imagine that in cities like Melbourne, where there is more traditional tribal fanaticism around AFL, then there would be more wealthy supporters prepared to dip into their companies finances, to ensure that their clubs star players remain a Hawk, Blue or a Pie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast