Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How losing to GWS can be a blessing in disguise

Veterans List
    No...just no! Don't want to lose this.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Hope you're right, because it ain't looking good at the moment. Giants are being physical and dirty. And we don't seem to be taking it that well.

Maybe Malthouse is right in that we're mentally weak.

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Now that we've had 2 finals was thinking about what would happen if we win/lose against the Giants.

Win - week off and play winner of Dogs/Hawks in PF - assuming GWS win next week, play winner of GWS/Cats in GF

Loss - play winner of Crows/North - play Cats in PF - could play GWS in GF

Now apart from not having the week off, think the losing path gives us better match ups. I'm confident against either the Crows/North at SCG - much more so than against Dogs and Hawks who have both won at SCG this year. And if we are to play Cats at MCG would prefer to do so in PF as opposed to Grand Final. And then if we were to play GWS in GF, I would be supremely confident even if we had lost three weeks earlier to them.

Do I want us to lose tomorrow? Of course not. Does the result tomorrow one way or another guarantee anything? No.

But as people around in 2005 know, losing in the first week can lead to the beginning of something wonderful.
    I wouldn't be supremely confident of beating anyone anywhere right now especially the giants!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Goes up to 11
    What a loser thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    What a loser thread.
    I actually agree with its sentiment. It might just be an easier path than if we had won today. Also it gives us some match practice rather than a bye. Byes and the swans don't go together well.

I reckon Giants will destroy Hawks when they likely meet. This in itself was worth the loss.

Giants now get a PF at Spotless , their home ground , regardless of crowd number , is that correct ?

But Swans , as minor premiers didn't get a home ground final....
    until next week....

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Gws will get pounded by the Hawks without the mummy.

Well dawson, you got your wish .

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt GWS could sell out a prelim at spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Well dawson, you got your wish .

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt GWS could sell out a prelim at spotless.
    It wasn't my wish at all. 2 days ago I would have been devastated had we lost to the Giants, now I'm ok.
    In a perverse kind of way, I was fearful of the result that happened today happening in a PF.

Senior Player
    OK , Dawson - now I'm warming to your logic !

So a lot of people have asked me about this since we made the Grand Final so let me answer here...

During the week of the qualifying final, I was extremely confident we would smash the Giants. Week off, their first final and all that. Not sure what happened but following the Cats-Hawks final, something in my guts changed. Was that it was being played at ANZ, was that they had nothing to lose, I'm not sure. Then I thought about the path that lay ahead of the Swans if they lost to the Giants and I was like "losing to them may actually be not that bad".

Did I want them to lose on purpose? No way. All I wanted to do was alert others here to the fact that if we did lose, not to panic and things would be ok.

So why did I say this.....

Playing winner of Adelaide - North: Every year the talk is about going out in straight sets for the 2 losers of the qualifying final. Was confident against 8th placed North who simply were shot or the Crows. While people were talking up the Crows, no-one mentioned the game they played at the SCG last year. It was the one Adam Goodes sat out. We came out of the blocks with a 6 goal to 2 first quarter - here it was 7-3. At half-time it was a 43 point lead, now it was 37 points. In short, we won but more important got our finals mongrel back.

After we lost to the Giants it was 4 finals losses in a row. A streak that began with the 2014 GF. Now we were the best team all year that year, but didn't turn up on the day. Hawthorn simply wanted to win more. For them, the loss of 2012 was personal and they were now avenging it. For a side who plays a finals-brand of footy during the H&A season, this element had been missing in our last 4 finals.

PF vs Cats - As I said, would prefer to play them at the MCG in a PF than a GF. Also it would give us good match practice at the G before the GF (see 2005).

Also, if we had won the QF, we would have played the winner of Dogs - Hawks in the PF. Who were the only away teams to win at the SCG this year? That's right the Dogs and Hawks. Didn't want a close PF like the Giants had where one of these teams had nothing to lose. At this stage, I wasn't thinking about playing 1 game in 3 weeks. And the edge we have been playing with in the last 2 weeks wouldn't have been present had we beaten the Giants.

GF vs Dogs - Thus far the only thing I haven't got right. Thought we would be playing the Giants. Have the Dogs already played their GF? I hope so. I would like to think that with Hawthorn gone, we will take their place as the GF bullies (pardon the pun). I want to smash and crush them from the first quarter (also nice payback for 1997). We are the ones with GF experience, we are the ones with the wounds of 2014 to avenge. We have to be clinical, we have to prevent them from having any sort of sniff. I would have no problem with the game being completely over at half-time.

So this is what I say it could be a blessing in disguise but obviously counts for nothing if we don't win the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    I want to smash and crush them from the first quarter (also nice payback for 1997). We are the ones with GF experience, we are the ones with the wounds of 2014 to avenge. We have to be clinical, we have to prevent them from having any sort of sniff. I would have no problem with the game being completely over at half-time.
    That 1997 game still angers me. Was at that game and the bulldogs supporters were absolute pigs. Don't care that they're the little innocent, underdog darlings of the AFL. Look at what Liberatore did to Paul Kelly. And the new Liberatore seems like a little dirtbag as well.

The 2014 GRand Final still cuts deep, so I don't want the swans to leave any stones unturned. We can't underestimate our opponent this time. We have to attack absolutely ruthlessly and kick them while they're down. Hopefully the swans supporters make more noise than the bulldog supporters and extremely vocal.

And ending at half-time would be magnificent. I want it over at quarter time. I just want to thoroughly enjoy the Grand Final rather than the previous ones we won where I could only enjoy the replays. Up until the end I almost had a heart attack.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast