Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How losing to GWS can be a blessing in disguise

Veterans List
    Great result last night on many fronts.

The biggest though is we match up so much better on the Dogs than we would have on GWS. If we play like we have the past two weeks then this shouldn't be a repeat of 2014.

Now to hope I get a ticket in the ballot so I don't have to stuff a thousand big ones into Etihad's greedy pocket. Driving over Friday from Adelaide and won't have a scarf anywhere near an open window on the way over, on the way back however? Let's hope :-)

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For purely selfish reasons I would prefer the opportunity to be able to attend a grand final in Sydney if my team happens to win the right to be the home side- I've been down for a Grand Final, it was an amazing trip that I hope to repeat again in the future, but it was probably verging on unreasonably expensive to do (being purely rational about it!).

I've been to 1/6 of the Grand Finals the Swans have been to since moving to Sydney, I'd say I likely would have attended 4/6 if they were in Sydney (can't be bothered working out what number it would equate to for them to need to earn the right to host it) and didn't have the associated GF weekend price gouging of Melbourne.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Doggies home ground is Docklands & they'll be wearing white shorts. We've played there as many times as they have this year. It's a neutral ground at best. And, for all of the whining about the Grand Final being played there, it's contracted to be played there until at least 2037.
    Hope we don't have another 21 years of bleating about the MCG as the Grand Final venue
    This will be the 3rd grand final where we, as highest qualifier, have had to play in the city of our opponent. 1996, 2014 and 2016. I didnt think much of the first two results.

I dont think its ready to be changed yet, but as we know stadium deals can be changed, but it needs to be called out as a distinct disadvantage for us at the same level as other so called advantages.

This is why brisbanes 3 peat easily trumps hawks. Brisbanes were all on the road against mcg tenants. Hawks were all at home against non vic sides.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This will be the 3rd grand final where we, as highest qualifier, have had to play in the city of our opponent. 1996, 2014 and 2016. I didnt think much of the first two results.

I dont think its ready to be changed yet, but as we know stadium deals can be changed, but it needs to be called out as a distinct disadvantage for us at the same level as other so called advantages.

This is why brisbanes 3 peat easily trumps hawks. Brisbanes were all on the road against mcg tenants. Hawks were all at home against non vic sides.
    Let's face it, stadium deals are not about fairness, they are all about making the league and certain associated individuals (you know who I'm talking about!) more money. While the Swans have had to fight to improve their lot with a full return to the SCG including finals (finally!!), when it comes to the GF, the league will always protect it's patch, hiding behind Victoria's love of and loyalty to, the 'G......and the fact that it is the best stadium in the country and the "spiritual" home of the game. Fairness to interstaters will not come into it.....but we all know, in a perfect world, it damn well should!

I could see a day when the grand final is a series like american sports. It could be as simple as a 2 game series with first at MCG to help vested interests and 2nd at highest qualifiers venue for fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    God i hope the swans smash the #sobrave's in the gf.

I had the misfortune to be sitting in amongst a great swath of their unwashed last night. Ungracious, humourless morons.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and ther cheering whenever libba snr came on the screen made me sick.

I was in disbelief that anyone would glorify that scratcher, even dogs fans. It was like cheering for george bush... jnr.
    Horrid people.
    I'm getting a little annoyed at our own fans love for the Dogs. And their easy acceptance of defeat.

I don't think I'll get over this one if we were to miraculously lose. We'll never live this one down. Losing to an inferior 7th placed side would be embarrassing as hell.

If you look at swans history, we made a string of Grand Finals after 1933 and we lost them all. I fear that our readiness to lose will set us up for another 72 years of defeat. Never again. History will not repeat itself.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Oh FFS - get over it. They won and earned their right to play in the GF, just like we have.

The conspiracy bull@@@@ is getting beyond a f#@##ing joke.

Some posters seem more like feral Richmond supporters that Sydney supporters.
    sprite

Senior Player
    During the home and away season the Dogs lost one less game then the Giants and two less then us. They play an exciting and free flowing style of football.
    I posted right at the start of the finals that they were the team to watch.
    And now we are playing them in the Grand Final any thoughts that they are inferior or don't deserve to be there need to be eliminated. They are however a team that , if we play to our best game plan can be easily beaten by the Swans.

Senior Player
    - - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Faunac8;711231]
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Oh FFS - get over it. They won and earned their right to play in the GF, just like we have."
    Yes they did they beat last years grand finalists and the team that owned us in the first week of the finals in three consecutive weeks
    "The conspiracy bull@@@@ is getting beyond a f#@##ing joke."
    Scary thing is that it's not a joke to many they really believe we are systematically discriminated against
    Some posters seem more like feral supporters " edited for accuracy
    QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Oh FFS - get over it. They won and earned their right to play in the GF, just like we have.

The conspiracy bull@@@@ is getting beyond a f#@##ing joke.

Some posters seem more like feral Richmond supporters that Sydney supporters.
    It's not a conspiracy they got there. They beat GWS, Hawthorn and

Don't be so bloody touchy. They deserve it, but to be the first team in history to let someone from 7th win when we finished minor premiers won't be the best look, and I for one will be embarrassed as hell. Winning is the only option, anything less and we should hang our heads in shame. Don't care if I seem like a Richmond supporter, at least they're loyal and dedicated after years of humiliation. I would argue they're the best supporters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    During the home and away season the Dogs lost one less game then the Giants and two less then us. They play an exciting and free flowing style of football.
    I posted right at the start of the finals that they were the team to watch.
    And now we are playing them in the Grand Final any thoughts that they are inferior or don't deserve to be there need to be eliminated. They are however a team that , if we play to our best game plan can be easily beaten by the Swans.
    They're an extremely dangerous team, most definitely. I'm not as confident as some, but the stars seemed to have aligned for us.

We play with our hard tackling & high pressure for 4 quarters & we pummel this mob with ease. We have the guns that will capitilise on their turnovers & dare I say it, our brand loves the MCG unless it's against Richmond mid season!

This is the last game of the year & there will be no players preserving themselves for next week. All out brutal football is what will win against these guys. It may take until the last quarter but we will break them open eventually.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I'm getting a little annoyed at our own fans love for the Dogs. And their easy acceptance of defeat.

I don't think I'll get over this one if we were to miraculously lose. We'll never live this one down. Losing to an inferior 7th placed side would be embarrassing as hell.

If you look at swans history, we made a string of Grand Finals after 1933 and we lost them all. I fear that our readiness to lose will set us up for another 72 years of defeat. Never again. History will not repeat itself.
    I don't think there's any easy acceptance of defeat. Indeed, I think most of us are cautiously optimistic. But Saturday will be a lot easier because, should the unthinkable happen, it'd be a loss to a team that won the hard way rather than a bunch of young thugs. GWS = Hawthorn lite, if you will.

But 2014 burns deep. I've opted not to go to this GF dinner because I couldn't bear another night like 2014. And my wife is so scarred she won't come down for the weekend at all. I hope the disgrace of that game is just as seared into each of the player's brains so they come motivated for redemption. It's only a few days away.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234