Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Grand Final moment.

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar

Best Grand Final moment.

OK.......... which was your best Grand Final finish? Leo Barry's mark 2005 AFL Grand Final.. Leo Barry's mark 2005 AFL Grand Final - YouTube or the Nick Malceski goal of 2012.. malceski goal - YouTube They both send chills up my spine but I`d have to go with Leo.............. Wouldn`t it be great if Aliir could fight back to fitness and pull off something great like that.
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Senior Player
    Malceskis goal for me. But that's only because I was at that game and not at 2005 so it has even more emotion to me

Senior Player
    Leaping Leo gets my vote. A 72 year premiership drought finally came to an end.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Leaping Leo gets my vote. A 72 year premiership drought finally came to an end.
    HERE IT IS!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Malceski's goal was deeply more satisfying.

As has been said before, 2005 was a relief. 2012 a celebration.

2012: Better overall game. The correct captain lifted the cup. Maxfield was present. Skilton presented the cup. More goals scored. Beat a scummier club. I got to see the players sing the club song.

My top 5 swans Grand Final moments of all time:
    1) Malceski goal and follow up celebrations.
    2) Leo's mark and follow up celebrations.
    3) Jack's goal to level the scores (2012).
    4) Schneider's goal in 2006 to level the score. Although the game was heartbreak, I will never forget this goal.
    5) Plugger pushes his own teammate out of the way on his way to snapping a goal. Lost 1996, but this moment really sticks out in my memory.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    1) Malceski goal and follow up celebrations.
    It was a great moment, the way it seemed to hang in the air for an age...then you realised it was a goal...and then you saw the clock and knew we'd won it.

Marred greatly for those of us watching C7 by a needless cross to Sydney to watch some fans jumping around, so missing most of the players celebration. Let's hope they don't do something similar this time.

I did like this one - Jetta v Rioli - the real AFL Grand Final Sprint - YouTube

Jetta blowing away Rioli in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    I did like this one - Jetta v Rioli - the real AFL Grand Final Sprint - YouTube

Jetta blowing away Rioli in 2012.
    I cringed when it first happened because it reminded me of a vid I'd made a few months earlier. Therefore I couldn't enjoy it as much. In terms of the match it didn't have any significance other than Bruce creaming his pants.

I had a theory that Bruce loved having all the extra attention on youtube and actually monitored it which is why I stopped making the vids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    It was a great moment, the way it seemed to hang in the air for an age...then you realised it was a goal...and then you saw the clock and knew we'd won it.

Marred greatly for those of us watching C7 by a needless cross to Sydney to watch some fans jumping around, so missing most of the players celebration. Let's hope they don't do something similar this time.
    Yes, true. The cross to Sydney ruined everything.

They seem to love making the needless crosses for Sydney games. It reminds me of when they kept crossing to Kennelly's family in Ireland. Hopefully they don't @@@@ it up this time.

Adam Goodes, playing on one leg, crumbing the ball from the pack and bouncing the ball through for a goal to put Swans up by seven points in the last quarter in 2012. That's actually the goal that won the premiership for us rather than Malceski's (fantastic) final goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Adam Goodes, playing on one leg, crumbing the ball from the pack and bouncing the ball through for a goal to put Swans up by seven points in the last quarter in 2012. That's actually the goal that won the premiership for us rather than Malceski's (fantastic) final goal.
    That moment was the crowning glory on a fantastic career - it summed up his career in few seconds. It was like he knew precisely what would happen before it did. As bruce said - cometh the hour, cometh the champion.

I hope we have some more moment to add come 6pm saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Goodes was an inspiration. You could almost argue he was never the same player after destroying his good leg in that day. He seemed to be forced to kick on his left the next season I recall? He sacrificed himself basically.

For some reason though, I can't remember being as excited for Goodes goal as Jack's goal. Thought the game was gone until Hanneberry kicked one. Still thought Hawthorn had momentum until JAck's goal, then I thought, "Oh my god, I think we might win now." Just that adrenaline you get when ...

Man I want Saturday to hurry up.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That moment was the crowning glory on a fantastic career - it summed up his career in few seconds. It was like he knew precisely what would happen before it did. As bruce said - cometh the hour, cometh the champion.

I hope we have some more moment to add come 6pm saturday!
    I read a story where Goodes was asked about that goal and he was very matter of fact about it. He said many people had said to him it was amazing (which it was!) but they probably didn't realise that players spend hours practising a kick like that just in case there comes a time they need to be able to do it.

Adam said he deliberately held back from the pack (as he couldn't jump) and used his body strength to ease the closest Hawthorn player into the pack so he could gather the ball and kick. You're right, he did know precisely what would happen, the brain of a brilliant footballer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast