Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Are all Croations to blame for not acting earlier against Ivan Milat ?
    Yes, if they knew he was killing backpackers....why, do you really think they did? Gee Barry, if you are going to use an analogy to back up your view, then at least make it a realistic one....

I think it’s definitely sad Goodes didn’t get more support from other indigenous players during that period. But let’s not judge them too harshly. If you are an indigenous Australian then maybe you can comment and have an opinion on that that is relevant. But if you aren’t , then you probably don’t ,and should be far less judgemental. Imagine seeing arguably the most decorated aboriginal player ( and Australian of the year) copping what Goodesy copped ! Geez you’d have to have some seriously immense courage to stick your neck out at that time! To try and put yourself in that position and say that you 100% would stand up is again irrelevant, unless you come from that background and know why it is like to be an indigenous Australian ( in a country that has a pretty poor record of its treatment of its first people). Pretty harsh to label it a disgrace I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I think it’s definitely sad Goodes didn’t get more support from other indigenous players during that period. But let’s not judge them too harshly. If you are an indigenous Australian then maybe you can comment and have an opinion on that that is relevant. But if you aren’t , then you probably don’t ,and should be far less judgemental. Imagine seeing arguably the most decorated aboriginal player ( and Australian of the year) copping what Goodesy copped ! Geez you’d have to have some seriously immense courage to stick your neck out at that time! To try and put yourself in that position and say that you 100% would stand up is again irrelevant, unless you come from that background and know why it is like to be an indigenous Australian ( in a country that has a pretty poor record of its treatment of its first people). Pretty harsh to label it a disgrace I think.
    I agree that 'disgrace' is a bit harsh but as I said days ago, they still have to live with their actions or non actions in this case and a few indigenous players have already come out and said they should have done more at the time. Betts and Burgoyne in particular, after viewing the 'Final Quarter' doco actually cried and declared they felt ashamed of themselves for not doing more to help their 'brother' when he needed them most.....so 'shameful' may be a better description and that's not too far behind 'disgrace' actually.

It definitely felt 'wrong'....the way other indigenous players barring Lewis Jetta, stayed silent for so long. Club loyalty can have a powerful influence on a footballer I guess but on reflection, it's not always satisfying to one's pride as a human being.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I agree that 'disgrace' is a bit harsh but as I said days ago, they still have to live with their actions or non actions in this case and a few indigenous players have already come out and said they should have done more at the time. Betts and Burgoyne in particular, after viewing the 'Final Quarter' doco actually cried and declared they felt ashamed of themselves for not doing more to help their 'brother' when he needed them most.....so 'shameful' may be a better description and that's not too far behind 'disgrace' actually.

It definitely felt 'wrong'....the way other indigenous players barring Lewis Jetta, stayed silent for so long. Club loyalty can be a powerful influence I guess but on reflection, not ultimately satisfying to one's pride as a human being.
    Of course they did with the benefit of hindsight and in the climate we are in now as opposed to then. That they feel ashamed now is one thing, for us to say they SHOULD be ashamed is another. Completely and utterly. Again I don’t feel like any of us non-indigenous people have any right to wade in on that .

Veterans List
    Of course they did with the benefit of hindsight and in the climate we are in now as opposed to then. That they feel ashamed now is one thing, for us to say they SHOULD be ashamed is another. Completely and utterly. Again I don’t feel like any of us non-indigenous people have any right to wade in on that .
    I agree, I don't think they should feel ashamed, that was their words (Betts and Burgoyne).....just that they have to live with their 'non action'.....and of course, it's never too late to right a wrong.

Veteran Site Admin

It definitely felt 'wrong'....the way other indigenous players barring Lewis Jetta, stayed silent for so long. Club loyalty can have a powerful influence on a footballer I guess but on reflection, it's not always satisfying to one's pride as a human being.
    But Barry's point - I believe. And if I'm wrong, Barry, I apologise. It's my point and one made by a few others - is why single out indigenous players for criticism in this regard? You didn't have to be indigenous to recognise what was happening and how ugly it was. Any player - regardless of cultural heritage - could have stood up and said "STOP!" and yet very few did with much conviction.

And as Melbourne Blood has pointed out, indigenous players arguably have a defence that the bulk of the rest of the playing group didn't have. Goodes wasn't booed because he was indigenous. He was booed because he was an indigenous man who spoke out against racism. The booing was a howling down of the conversation he was trying to engage the country in. In that context, it's not hard to understand that many indigenous players would have worried about the response they might have received had they too spoken out. Not an excuse, maybe, but more of an excuse than those from the cultural majority have to offer.

I agree, I don't think they should feel ashamed, that was their words (Betts and Burgoyne).....just that they have to live with their 'non action'.....and of course, it's never too late to right a wrong.
    I get that and I wasn’t suggesting you were saying they should feel ashamed . It’s just extremely rich in my view for anyone that isn’t an aboriginal to comment on how these guys reacted ( or didn’t react ) when this @@@@ was going on. The racists most likely would’ve torn them apart , and I feel it it’s really average for those of us who are on Goodesy’s side to lay the boot into them now for not having his back. Ease up! It’s not their fault and it never was . ( again not directed at you just a general statement )

Veterans List
    I'd love to hear from those that watch the documentary. It will be interesting to read everyone's opinion.

Veterans List
    I get that and I wasn’t suggesting you were saying they should feel ashamed . It’s just extremely rich in my view for anyone that isn’t an aboriginal to comment on how these guys reacted ( or didn’t react ) when this @@@@ was going on. The racists most likely would’ve torn them apart , and I feel it it’s really average for those of us who are on Goodesy’s side to lay the boot into them now for not having his back. Ease up! It’s not their fault and it never was . ( again not directed at you just a general statement )
    Fair point MB. Someone brought up the subject of the reaction of indigenous players to the Goodes saga, so I guess that's what we're discussing.....rather than singling them out. I am of the opinion that all players should have done more for Goodsey.....

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    But Barry's point - I believe. And if I'm wrong, Barry, I apologise. It's my point and one made by a few others - is why single out indigenous players for criticism in this regard? You didn't have to be indigenous to recognise what was happening and how ugly it was. Any player - regardless of cultural heritage - could have stood up and said "STOP!" and yet very few did with much conviction.

Yeah thanks Liz, I came back into this thread with trepidation, but glad I wasn't savaged too hard.

Goodes called Australia out. Most people dont like being called out. Some especially don't like being called out by an aboriginal. The group-speak of the AFL fan base is very influential. The culture of conformity is very strong in players and fans.

No surprise we have no openly gay players.

My point here is, the Goodes thing was not just about racism.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    This faux-outrage at a suggestion of racism sounds familiar.

FWIW, I dont think Annie is racist. I doubt the young collingwood girl is really racist either.
    Doesnt mean what they say cant be construed as racist. In the comment in question Annie singled out a group of people based purely on race for their failure to act.
    Are all Croations to blame for not acting earlier against Ivan Milat ?
    "We feel guilty that we, as his brothers, didn't do more to protect him." Quote. Speaks for itself. They don't need you to speak for them, Barry.

Appears to be just about the hottest tik at the Festival , they should put on xtra screenings.
    I’m going Sunday morning (State Theatre) before the game, don’t know how I got a tik, because it said SOLD out, went back in later, and got one.