Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I am lost for words and furious . I want to see this as a positive move but I can’t help feeling it’s an opportunist grab for some minor historical validation in response to the actual lack of response at the time of this ,and I will call it for what it was , shameful period of Australian history.
    Adam would be well justified to feel more a than a little offended .
    It was four years ago not four decades ago
    Exactly.....despite a nicely worded apology, the point you make in the last line of your post does makes this all feel a little empty. FFS, the AFL have supposedly been fighting racism ever since Nicky Winmar pulled up his jumper, acting outraged and banning fans for single incidents and yet, only four years ago they failed when it was staring them in the face for weeks on end.

The AFL failed on so many levels.....and only their future efforts in this area will deem whether this apology is worthy.....or not.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Apparently some media figures are made to look pretty ordinary in The Final Quarter, especially McGuire.

I hope some clubs cop it, too, and are made to feel highly embarrassed about the way their supporters behaved!

I'd be most interested to hear from anyone who goes to the premiere tonight if some clubs are put under the microscope more than others.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 7th June 2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Four years too late...
    Premiere tonight. How opportunistic of them.

AFL 2019, news: Adam Goodes apology from AFL, The Final Quarter | Sydney Film Festival
    Cynical and worthless apology. I wonder if they actually contacted Goodesy to deliver it personally! A blatant case of "getting on the front foot" before they're made to look like absolute cowboys tonight!

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I am lost for words and furious . I want to see this as a positive move but I can’t help feeling it’s an opportunist grab for some minor historical validation in response to the actual lack of response at the time of this ,and I will call it for what it was , shameful period of Australian history.
    Adam would be well justified to feel more a than a little offended .
    It was four years ago not four decades ago
    Well said. My feelings exactly.

Veterans List
    I'm curious whether Shane Warne gets a mention for questioning why Goodes was Australian of the Year and asking who the selectors were. That fuelled the situation especially with his large following.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I'm curious whether Shane Warne gets a mention for questioning why Goodes was Australian of the Year and asking who the selectors were. That fuelled the situation especially with his large following.
    It was an ignorant comment by Warne who had just arrived after living in England for some time. Would have fuelled a large number of fellow oats.

Veteran Site Admin
    Particularly odd given that Australian cricket players (eg Taylor, Waugh??) were previously AOYs, despite having no clear social issue to raise that would benefit from the platform that AOY provides. I find it surprising how many people think AOY is some kind of lifetime achievement award. It isn't. It's the granting of a platform to raise a socially relevant issue (or at least, that's how it's tended to be used in recent years).

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    It was an ignorant comment by Warne who had just arrived after living in England for some time. Would have fuelled a large number of fellow oats.
    The thing is that he made that comment after Goodes "staged" for a free against Richmond at ANZ Stadium. That has nothing to do with why he was selected as Australian of the Year and shouldn't suddenly mean that he is stripped of his title.

Shane Warne is a narcissist and self absorbed enough to be astounded that he never got AOTY.

Senior Player
    The thing is that he made that comment after Goodes "staged" for a free against Richmond at ANZ Stadium. That has nothing to do with why he was selected as Australian of the Year and shouldn't suddenly mean that he is stripped of his title.
    Dangerfield is a chronic stager. Don't hear much booing. Wonder what the difference is?

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I think the plural is oaves.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I think the plural is oaves.
    Oafs or oaves, Warnie is their king.