Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Sam Newman still thinks Goodes had incited supporters to boo him and that he couldn't take it. Reckons the whole episode has been hijacked into about being race. Unbelievable! Don't think he watched the documentary, despite giving the impression that he has.

Adam Goodes documentary: The Final Quarter, Sam Newman hits back
    I'm not sure how anyone who watched that documentary could countenance anything Newman says.

I was at a Men’s shed dinner last night
    and A. Goodes came up .
    A bloke not really into AFL said his son attended an AFL clinic at his school when Adam and another Swans player appeared and started drills with the boys .
    The Dad was there and was struck by Adams wonderful demeanour and humility with the boys .
    You hear these sort of stories all the time.
    Adam and Mickey O addressed a conference my sister attended and was so impressed by by these two amazing leaders .

I hope Adam will now do the Grand Final Parade (with his new baby).
    It will be OK.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    I recorded the documentary and watched it this afternoon.

It was gut wrenching to see close up what Adam was going through in those terrible 3 years. The hatred and racist vitriol spewed out by Jones, Newman, Bolt and Devine was unbelievable and brought back horrible memories of going to the SCG games and watching on TV.

I wish that one day in the not too distant future, that Adam will be welcomed back into the AFL community and take his rightful place as a champion player and a champion individual. We can only hope that will happen.
    "Gut wrenching" are the right words - I saw this in the cinema and the effect of the booing was physical, oppressive, almost like I struggled to breathe. If I felt that way in a cinema many years after the event, one can only imagine what the impact on Adam must have been.

I've always loved footy since I started watching my beloved Claremont Tigers in the '70s - for half a season there, I hated it and couldn't bear anything to do with it. I do so hope this is the start of something different.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Newman gave himself away when he said that he was waiting for the AFL to have a special celebration round for "white, Protestant, heterosexual males."
    He's a narcissist - it's all about him and people who look and think like him. As a "white, Protestant, heterosexual male," he's been privileged all of his life. He doesn't like it when people who are different to him appear to be getting special attention and feels threatened by it. "The Final Quarter" showed him up as the insignificant and irrelevant little man that he is.
    Don't the AFL already have twenty two of these rounds every year? Poor old Sam is being re-affirmed every week and he
    hasn't even noticed.

Pushing for Selection
    Article in Fitz Files SMH this morning provides more insight into the disgraceful comments from Alan Jones during the saga which were highlighted in the documentary. Interestingly one of Jones comments was that their was no racism when he was coaching wallabies - Very quickly disputed by one of the Ella brothers. Basically Peter Fitzsimons is suggesting Alan Jones should be sacked from SCG Trust. I couldn't agree more - let's start an RWO petition - Get Alan OUT.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Postie View Post
    Article in Fitz Files SMH this morning provides more insight into the disgraceful comments from Alan Jones during the saga which were highlighted in the documentary. Interestingly one of Jones comments was that their was no racism when he was coaching wallabies - Very quickly disputed by one of the Ella brothers. Basically Peter Fitzsimons is suggesting Alan Jones should be sacked from SCG Trust. I couldn't agree more - let's start an RWO petition - Get Alan OUT.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone who watched that documentary could countenance anything Newman says.
    I have never understood the Sam newman/footy show thing.I'm not Victorian and not brought up with AFL as my passion but love my Swans but i can't understand how this guy got a media job. He cant string his words together and when challenged on his viewpoint ( on general AFL issues ) he goes the arrogant line. Melbourne appear to judge him on his performances on the field and robot like think his post career media views have credibility . Very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    I have never understood the Sam newman/footy show thing.I'm not Victorian and not brought up with AFL as my passion but love my Swans but i can't understand how this guy got a media job. He cant string his words together and when challenged on his viewpoint ( on general AFL issues ) he goes the arrogant line. Melbourne appear to judge him on his performances on the field and robot like think his post career media views have credibility . Very strange
    Likewise with Sydney and Alan Jones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post

I don’t understand the Sydney and Alan Jones thing either - and I live in Sydney ...

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don’t understand the Sydney and Alan Jones thing either - and I live in Sydney ...
    I don’t understand either meg , but I don’t like being tarred with a brush. Newman is a disgrace , Jones is even worse .

Misanthropic shock-jocks and newspaper columnists generally. Just do not understand the appeal of such miserable people. The difference between the two cities, though, is that these people have a large following in Sydney. In Melbourne they are less numerous and have a small, ageing, and dwindling following.

Senior Player
    I don’t understand either meg , but I don’t like being tarred with a brush. Newman is a disgrace , Jones is even worse .

Newman is at least as bad as Jones but not as cunning. Melbourne not perfect just like anywhere else.