Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

A lot of younger people wouldn’t realise that Muhammad Ali was very much disliked originally for standing up for African Americans but as the years progressed the tide slowly turned and he was shown to be a truly great ambassador for his people. To the point that he opened the Olympics in his country with universal fan fair.

As the years go by this will happen with Adam and people will look down upon the AFL administrators inaction during this terrible time.

No matter what Gil, Fitzpatrick and co say they will be shown to have completely failed the game, the fans, the clubs and lastly but sadly Adam. They’ll have to wear this for ever. It’ll stick with them for their whole careers whether they like it or not.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Gil has already begun a damage limitation exercise. He claims he was "a week late" in defending Adam Goodes. I don't really remember him defending him at all, or by the time he did, it was way, way too late. Also I don't really understand what he means by "I'm very accountable for everything I do" surely that should mean there are consequences for his (poor) actions. I've never seen him held accountable by anyone for anything. Quite the opposite!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...13-p51mxc.html

In a radio interview at the weekend, McLachlan admitted he would like to have his time again in his handling of Goodes' tribal dance for Sydney's Marngrook game against Carlton at the SCG in 2015.

"I called it out that I felt I was a week late, yeah," the AFL chief told 3AW.

"I'm not excusing it in any way – I'm very accountable for everything I do – but it wasn't easy at the time.

"A week is a week and I own that. I certainly wish I had come out a week earlier, yeah."
    I had to laugh when I read this. One week late??? The booing had been going on for months and he says he response was a week late?? He has to be the worst AFL boss.

I go to a lot of Geelong games because of my brother and I like how their supporters deal with the Ablett booing. When he gets the ball they cheer and clap really loudly and drown out the boos. If one of our players is ever treated like Goodes was then our supporters should do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I had to laugh when I read this. One week late??? The booing had been going on for months and he says he response was a week late?? He has to be the worst AFL boss.

I go to a lot of Geelong games because of my brother and I like how their supporters deal with the Ablett booing. When he gets the ball they cheer and clap really loudly and drown out the boos. If one of our players is ever treated like Goodes was then our supporters should do the same thing.
    The trouble is that our fans are much quieter and less parochial than Victorian supporters. You are right though.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The trouble is that our fans are much quieter and less parochial than Victorian supporters. You are right though.
    In fact that is exactly what we did with the Goodes booing - we cheered him loudly every time it started. I remember vividly doing that - at Geelong, as it happens.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Agreed, but I'd rather be us than the loud foul-mouthed Bombers bore that stood behind us in Bay 3 on Friday night. His idiotic behaviour got so bad that we moved at half time. We sit too close to the away fans and most games we're impacted by idiots who think its their right to be complete a-holes at the footy.

We cheered loudly whenever Goodsey had the ball when the booing stuff was going on - most Swans fans did.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Agreed, but I'd rather be us than the loud foul-mouthed Bombers bore that stood behind us in Bay 3 on Friday night. His idiotic behaviour got so bad that we moved at half time. We sit too close to the away fans and most games we're impacted by idiots who think its their right to be complete a-holes at the footy.

We cheered loudly whenever Goodsey had the ball when the booing stuff was going on - most Swans fans did.
    Yes, one of those guys snuck into the top deck of the Brewongle on Friday. They are always the same, loud and obnoxious,
    feeling they have to over compensate for being completely surrounded by Swans fans. Sensing the inevitable this bloke near
    us went all quiet in the last quarter and had gone before all the excitement at the end. This is why we never offer our seats
    up (unless to a Swans supporting friend) if we can't make it to a game. I wouldn't be able to handle the thought of my seat
    being forever tainted by having an opposition supporter sit in it.

On the veteran's list
    This little clip says it all

The Final Quarter — Sydney Film Festival
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    No-one will remember Gill in a few years. Adam will be remembered for many years. I am privileged for having seen him represent our club.
    Great post, Erica. I too feel privileged to have witnessed Adam Goodes’ entire career, including those Reserves games played at the SCG. I recall ringing my late dad, a complete Bloods tragic, and telling him with enthusiasm of “this young guy who will be a star”. Even my wildest imagination couldn’t envisage the star and legend he would become. It is to the shame of the Australian football public, and public in general, that such a storied career ended the way it did. A comment on the article in today’s SMH showed that we have a very long path to tread. Not so much that there are racist fools who espouse such disgusting ideas, but that the moderator thought it was an appropriate comment to print. Yes, a long way indeed.

Eddie making the Goodes docos about himself! McGuire said he had told Goodes and producers of the films that he wants to be "part of the solution and not to be part of the problem".
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p51o58.html

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Eddie making the Goodes docos about himself! McGuire said he had told Goodes and producers of the films that he wants to be "part of the solution and not to be part of the problem".
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p51o58.html
    I don't have an issue with those comments from Maguire. Indeed, I think they are positive. Not having seen the film, it's hard to know for sure, but I suspect that those who still harbour a negative attitude towards Goodes, and consider him largely responsible for the circumstances in which he retired are unlikely to be persuaded otherwise by a film that represents the story as it unfolded. I hope I am wrong, and that sufficient time has past for at least some people to see the events in a different light. Maguire asking people to watch the film with an open mind surely has to be a good thing.

Nor do I see him saying he wants to be part of the solution as making it about himself. Everyone needs to be part of the solution.

All well & good what Eddie has said above and they are indeed positive for the better, but even though he has apologised I'm not sure if he has ever admitted he was wrong with both his King Kong gaffe & Goodes War dance commentary. His apologies always contained the caveat "if I caused any offence etc..."

Dark day indeed for Australian sport and society in general. It is the " ïm not a racist'" crowd that operate "casual racism" that need to be informed and educated. You will never educate out and out racist's , just isolate them better.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast