Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Senior Player
    Fantastic article by Caroline Wilson.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...17-p51oec.html

Why doesn’t the club put on a screening of the film?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Fantastic article by Caroline Wilson.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...17-p51oec.html
    Thanks Blue Sun - a very readable article. And I don't mind seeing Caroline revisiting McGuire's contribution. Of course, she has her own criticism about Eddie, part of which bears out KSAS's comments above.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't have an issue with those comments from Maguire. Indeed, I think they are positive. Not having seen the film, it's hard to know for sure, but I suspect that those who still harbour a negative attitude towards Goodes, and consider him largely responsible for the circumstances in which he retired are unlikely to be persuaded otherwise by a film that represents the story as it unfolded. I hope I am wrong, and that sufficient time has past for at least some people to see the events in a different light. Maguire asking people to watch the film with an open mind surely has to be a good thing.

Nor do I see him saying he wants to be part of the solution as making it about himself. Everyone needs to be part of the solution.
    Noble thoughts Liz but doubt that the megalomaniac's intention is totally honourable. He is scared about his reputation and neither Adam nor the Swans don't need him to be front and centre playing the hero.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Noble thoughts Liz but doubt that the megalomaniac's intention is totally honourable. He is scared about his reputation and neither Adam nor the Swans don't need him to be front and centre playing the hero.
    Delete the word 'don't' from the above

Senior Player
    As per usual Eddie is making this all about him. He just can't help himself, it's like an addiction. He says he wants to
    be "part of the solution". Oh, brother. At his usual rate of putting his foot in his mouth, I'd expect his next clanger to
    come some time before the end of June.

Thanks all for keeping this issue before us. I have booked tickets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    It's a shame we can't see this in Melbourne. Although I'll probably be fuming while watching it.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    It's a shame we can't see this in Melbourne. Although I'll probably be fuming while watching it.
    I have a feeling it will have a life well beyond the Sydney Film Festival, given the attention it is attracting. I hope so because I won't be able to attend the festival to watch it.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't have an issue with those comments from Maguire. Indeed, I think they are positive. Not having seen the film, it's hard to know for sure, but I suspect that those who still harbour a negative attitude towards Goodes, and consider him largely responsible for the circumstances in which he retired are unlikely to be persuaded otherwise by a film that represents the story as it unfolded. I hope I am wrong, and that sufficient time has past for at least some people to see the events in a different light. Maguire asking people to watch the film with an open mind surely has to be a good thing.

Nor do I see him saying he wants to be part of the solution as making it about himself. Everyone needs to be part of the solution.
    I think this is one of those cases where the truth is probably somewhere in between.

I have no doubt that Eddie is motivated, in very large part (at least), by motives of self-preservation - not to mention self-justification and perhaps even self-glorification. He may be many things but he isn't actually stupid. He's sniffing the wind and is astute enough to know that he is currently on the wrong side of history. Put bluntly, he looks like a dick on the Goodes issue and he wants to do some pre-emptive repair work. Manoeuvring himself over to the right side of history is certainly in Eddie's self-interest.

That said, just because it's in his self-interest doesn't necessarily mean that he's trying to make it all about him. Being clear about where he stands (now) is probably enough for his selfish purposes. But I do absolutely agree with Liz's analysis that him making these comments is actually a positive overall for both the issue and for Adam, for all the reasons she says.

Ultimately, I see it as a win-win. There may be some of us (me included) who don't like the idea of him having a win at all ..... but I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. His comments are overall a net positive and may be quite powerful with his considerable constituency.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

‘Hurt, anger, shame and sometimes tears.’

‘After emotional reactions at previews for the AFL community, the new documentary on the controversy that surrounded Adam Goodes at the end of his celebrated playing career is about to ignite a debate about racism in this country when it starts screening publicly next month.’

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...1nmi.html?btis

It's going to be screened on TV and then sent to the schools to use as a learning tool.
    Good one.
    Expect the racists to deny it being racist... again.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It's going to be screened on TV and then sent to the schools to use as a learning tool.
    Good one.
    Expect the racists to deny it being racist... again.
    The denials have already started. The usual disgraceful comments were BTL of an article about the film in The Australian.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast