Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I thought that on the whole the level of support from other indigenous players at the time was very poor. That said, one can understand why they wouldn't want to enter the fray and find themselves exposed to the same garbage.

The player who really did put himself out there in support was Bob Murphy, then captain of the Dogs. He always seemed like a very decent guy but he showed he was actually a class act.
    I can understand it was very hard for the other aboriginal boys to make a stand. Supporting goodes verbally would have done little and made them a target.
    What was needed was decisive action, like refusing to play. This could have come from anyone. white players, black players, swans players, swans officials, umpires, anyone.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    "qui tacet consentire videtur" or he who is silent is taken to agree
    It's an extraordinarily uncompromising dictum, but sadly true.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Before the start of the Essendon v Richmond Dreamtime game just now, both clubs had a group of indigenous people (men, women, children) do war dances which had been especially developed to represent the clubs.

Sydney Stack, indigenous player for Richmond, took part in their dance which ended with the line of dancers advancing close to the Essendon player line-up and hurl imaginary spears? boomerangs? at the Essendon players.

I like to think this was deliberately designed to #westandwithAdam.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Before the start of the Essendon v Richmond Dreamtime game just now, both clubs had a group of indigenous people (men, women, children) do war dances which had been especially developed to represent the clubs.

Sydney Stack, indigenous player for Richmond, took part in their dance which ended with the line of dancers advancing close to the Essendon player line-up and hurl imaginary spears? boomerangs? at the Essendon players.

I like to think this was deliberately designed to #westandwithAdam.
    Andrew Bolt will be all over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Andrew Bolt will be all over that one.
    And rightly so. It was a terrible look. Stack has every right to participate in an indigenous dance but performing an act of aggression and intimidation like that was completely out of line especially when his opponents are unable to retaliate.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    And rightly so. It was a terrible look. Stack has every right to participate in an indigenous dance but performing an act of aggression and intimidation like that was completely out of line especially when his opponents are unable to retaliate.
    Have you heard of the haka?
    Have you got a translated version of the haka?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I'm tipping probably not. I remember years ago bumping into some old goose in Wellington airport, an Aussie tourist on his way back from NZ, who told me the Maoris were "good natives, not like ours". Maybe his ghost still haunts us.

Goes up to 11
    Tres funny!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Of course. I feel the same about the haka but that is more for show, provided they don't invade their opponents personal space.

This was worse. Running right to your opponents in a threatening manner and pretending to throw a spear at them? Its completely disrespectful. Why does the opponent have to stand there politely and take it all for the sake of not offending a culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I'm tipping probably not. I remember years ago bumping into some old goose in Wellington airport, an Aussie tourist on his way back from NZ, who told me the Maoris were "good natives, not like ours". Maybe his ghost still haunts us.
    I know it conflicts with your views 05 but people are allowed to have opinions without being labelled as racists.
    Last edited by liz; 1st June 2019 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Please keep things civil

Tempest in a teacup.

Senior Player
    'Good natives, not like ours', not racist???!

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast