Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Thanks Stevo, great memories. Imagine what Adam would have been like bursting out of the middle under 6x6x6.

For those who haven’t seen the Goodes documentary, that iconic photo of Adam - being chaired off the ground arm raised, fist pumped, number 37 blazoned on the back of his jumper - is strongly featured.

Caught a bit of Tony Armstrong being interviewed by Andy Maher on SEN this afternoon, expanding on his Roar article about Goodes being hounded out of the game. My summary isn't going to do it justice as Tony was very passionate & forthright. It is worth listening to, but not sure if it's available on podcast as I couldn't locate it on the SEN site.

Tony grew up in Adelaide as a Swans supporter with Goodes being his hero. He was thrilled as a lad when Goodes signed his Swans cap. Tony was awestruck when he came to us & got play to alongside the great man. These are the main points I got from Tony:

- Gets angry whenever people outside of any minority group passes judgement on that group like they know, when they really don't have any idea.

- When people are challenged to look into the mirror, they get angry and retailate if they don't like what they see.

- People need to look at the whole picture before they decide and react. In the case of Goodes calling out the 13yo girl for calling him an ape, people just reacted to the aftermath of the girl being led away by ground security and ignored the interview Goodes gave the following day where he passionately protected the young girl, which is largely forgotten about.

- People think Goodes AOY award speech was divisive when it was anything but, if they had bothered to listen / read it in its entirety rather than take someone like Andrew Bolt's version of it. People wrongly think Goodes was given the AOY award because of the 13yo girl incident.

- Has no objection to booing in footy, but when someone calls out it's racist in a particular situation people need to stop and realise if they continue to do so they are supporting racism no matter what they think their intentions are.

- So highly praising of how much a gentle and proud an indigenous man Goodes is, that many people just don't realise the extent the booing saga had wounded him. Thought Goodes was incredibly brave how he challenged/educated people on casual racism in such a passive manner.

- Being a elite runner, Tony was invited to enter the AFL umpiring ranks but is put off by the thought of a indigenous umpire paying a free kick against West Coast at a packed Optus Stadium and what he'll hear coming over the fence. Which is why he admires Goodes so much because that is nothing compared to what Goodes had copped.

Andy Maher was pretty much on par with everything Tony was saying and mentioned the predictable messages he was receiving during the course of the interview. He refused to read out/respond to any of them and challenged his audience to see the Final Quarter documentary when it's shown on free to air, whereby he'll happy to open the talkback lines for a week to discuss.
    Last edited by KSAS; 14th June 2019 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks for great summary KSAS.

The point about Adam’s AOY speech being badly misrepresented is one that makes me angry also.

Here it is:

Adam Goodes - Australian of the Year 2014 Acceptance Speech - YouTube

Thanks Meg. Andy Maher did mention that it's unbelievable some people today still find Adam's AOY speech as divisive! I'm guessing that view was being expressed in the predictable texts Andy was receiving during the course of that interview.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Excellent piece. The question about the conservative commentators' hypocrisy is particularly pertinent: why do they attack Goodes for speaking out about race, yet support Folau's right to say gays are going to hell? The answer is obvious - they don't like what Goodes was saying, but they're happy with what Folau is saying. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks for great summary KSAS.

The point about Adam’s AOY speech being badly misrepresented is one that makes me angry also.

Here it is:

Adam Goodes - Australian of the Year 2014 Acceptance Speech - YouTube
    Thanks so much for putting this link up Meg. Highly appreciated.

It is noteworthy that the page tells us that comments have been disabled. When you look further you see that there were hundreds of comments before their disablement, distributed fairly accurately as 2/3 and 1/3. To quote an old favourite, I'd bet London to a brick on that the 1/3 is the reason why the site has disabled comment. It seems that the vitriol was at poisonous levels.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I just listened to a Tony Armstrong interview on SEN from yesterday and it came up in passing that Tony was asked if he wanted to become an umpire, and then the conversation moved on.

I then Googled to see just how many Aboriginal AFL umpires there were in the game, as I couldn't recall any off the top of my head, only to discover that there has never been an an Aboriginal AFL umpire and only 1, Glenn James, in the VFL (1977-1985). So there has not been a single Aboriginal umpire at top level AFL/VFL for the past 34 years.

For me, this illustrates just how embedded institutional racism is in Australia. I can understand from the perspectives of potential Aboriginal umpires, as well as the AFL, what an enormous problem this would be when (and I don't mean if) the Aboriginal umpire would be abused by a fan an how this would replay the same issues and arguments as with Adam Goodes.

This is but one example of the deep discrimination Indigenous Australians face in the normal course of life. It is so clearly evident here, because of the effective exclusion of Indigenous Australians from a job where there would certainly be numerous qualified individuals. And what bravery it would take for an Indigenous Australian to become an AFL umpire, and how unprepared and frightening it would be for the Gil McLaghlan's of the world to deal with the fallout.

We might ask ourselves how many other jobs and opportunities are not available to Indigenous Australians that simply go unnoticed by those who are not subjected to this kind of 'benign' racism.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 14th June 2019 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I just listened to a Tony Armstrong interview on SEN from yesterday and it came up in passing that Tony was asked if he wanted to become an umpire, and then the conversation moved on.

I then Googled to see just how many Aboriginal AFL umpires there were in the game, as I couldn't recall any off the top of my head, only to discover that there has never been an an Aboriginal AFL umpire and only 1, Glenn James, in the VFL (1977-1985). So there has not been a single Aboriginal umpire at top level AFL/VFL for the past 34 years.

For me, this illustrates just how embedded institutional racism is in Australia. I can understand from the perspectives of potential Aboriginal umpires, as well as the AFL, what an enormous problem this would be when (and I don't mean if) the Aboriginal umpire would be abused by a fan an how this would replay the same issues and arguments as with Adam Goodes.

This is but one example of the deep discrimination Indigenous Australians face in the normal course of life. It is so clearly evident here, because of the effective exclusion of Indigenous Australians from a job where there would certainly be numerous qualified individuals. And what bravery it would take for an Indigenous Australian to become an AFL umpire, and how unprepared and frightening it would be for the Gil McLaghlan's of the world to deal with the fallout.

We might ask ourselves how many other jobs and opportunities are not available to Indigenous Australians that simply go unnoticed by those who are not subjected to this kind of 'benign' racism.
    I'd be interested to know if Glenn James copped a lot of racist abuse. My memory of it is that he didn't, and that he was very well-regarded by players and spectators alike. But maybe my memory fails me.

Nevertheless, your point is well made. It's hard to believe that the arseclowns who gave Adam Goodes such a hard time would be more restrained with umpires, especially if any of them had the temerity to take a stand against racism.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

Great post.

I remember Glenn James well. He was considered one of the best umpires to ever umpire the game. To me, watching footy back then, he had absolute integrity.....if only we could say the same about today's hacks.

In regard to the abuse indigenous umpires would receive these days (IIRC, James didn't receive abuse/racist abuse, because he was such a damn good umpire).....well, if the AFL are now kicking people out of grounds for calling an umpire "a bald headed flog" or "a green maggot", then based on what Goodes received from fans in his final years, they would be evicting nearly half the crowd. I can understand it if indigenous sports people shy away from the prospect of umpiring....for exactly the same reason Goodes shied away from a GF send off.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 14th June 2019 at 06:32 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    One person's opinion doesn't equate to the torrent of booing and lack of condemnation from AFL. Like comparing a molehill to a mountain.

Veterans List
    I guess this thread is the most appropriate thread to post this and while it's not directly related to 'cultural issues', I'm excited. I bought one of the Swans 'black swan' Indigenous Guernseys. The best looking footy jumper ever! They're on special at the moment in the Swans Shop ($75.00 + postage). Bargain!

https://shop.sydneyswans.com.au/foot...s-guernsey-792