Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Bravo. Great to see support from players at other clubs.
    Yes it is.

While it's all a bit late like the AFL apology, it's better late than never.....and I bet Burgoyne was behind it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes it is.

While it's all a bit late like the AFL apology, it's better late than never.....and I bet Burgoyne was behind it.
    Sure, but they can't go back in time. And I read Burgoyne was behind it. I'll be getting to the game early enough tomorrow
    night to see it...

It’s a nice gesture from the players. But the timing with Kennett being a racist buffoon (again) this week, I can’t help but feel it’s a slightly disingenuous PR move.

Hawks social media is going into a meltdown though. Funny how Goodes is accused of being the “sook” when it’s only the closet racist’s that whinge and cry as soon as Goodes is mentioned anywhere. 😂

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    From The Hawthorn club twitter feed:

Hawthorn players will wear the number 37 on their warm up tops tomorrow night, in a show of respect for Adam Goodes. 💛

DETAILS: Hawks to wear 37 - hawthornfc.com.au
    A great gesture by the Hawks, I just wish they did more at the time as their supporters were the ones that started the constant booing.

Speaking of their supporters, they have gone into meltdown over this announcement and some are threatening to tear up their membership. The Hawks are having to tell them to show respect. Impey told his supporters to "take a breathe". This is the mentality of some people out there that they are outraged over a gesture like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    A great gesture by the Hawks, I just wish they did more at the time as their supporters were the ones that started the constant booing.

Speaking of their supporters, they have gone into meltdown over this announcement and some are threatening to tear up their membership. The Hawks are having to tell them to show respect. Impey told his supporters to "take a breathe". This is the mentality of some people out there that they are outraged over a gesture like this.
    We are scratching the surface of Australian society and there is something really ugly under there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    We are scratching the surface of Australian society and there is something really ugly under there.
    Eastern suburbs of Melbourne fertile ground for the ugliness

Veterans List
    The problem with people like Bolt, Panahi, Jones and Newman is that they only focus on one aspect of the various incidents and conveniently ignore the complete facts.

1. Goodes pointing out the 13 year old girl.
    - They took one sentence from his press conference where he said that the face of racism was a 13 year old girl. They ignored the remainder of what he said which included that she shouldn't be blamed and that she needed to be supported.

2. Australian of the Year
    - Again they took one sentence from his speech and said he was being divisive and ignored the rest of what he said.

3. Indigenous Dance
    - They concentrated on the "spear throwing" aspect and ignored the background on who created the dance and the fact that Goodes and Jetta had an agreement that whoever kicked a goal first would perform the dance.
    - They also ignored that other indigenous players performed a dance during their games.

I really hope that these people take the time to watch the documentary when it is broadcast. They may not change their opinion but it may open their eyes and give them an understanding of what Goodes went through instead of them saying that he brought it on himself and that he is a sook. I won't be holding my breathe...they probably won't watch it out of spite.

The problem with people like Bolt, Panahi, Jones and Newman is that they only focus on one aspect of the various incidents and conveniently ignore the complete facts.

- They took one sentence from his press conference where he said that the face of racism was a 13 year old girl. They ignored the remainder of what he said which included that she shouldn't be blamed and that she needed to be supported.

- Again they took one sentence from his speech and said he was being divisive and ignored the rest of what he said.

3. Indigenous Dance
    - They concentrated on the "spear throwing" aspect and ignored the background on who created the dance and the fact that Goodes and Jetta had an agreement that whoever kicked a goal first would perform the dance.
    - They also ignored that other indigenous players performed a dance during their games.

I really hope that these people take the time to watch the documentary when it is broadcast. They may not change their opinion but it may open their eyes and give them an understanding of what Goodes went through instead of them saying that he brought it on himself and that he is a sook. I won't be holding my breathe...they probably won't watch it out of spite.
    These people are paid spruikers. They have no interest in self-reflection. In Panahi's case and Newman's case, they don't even have the intellectual capacity to do so. They do not warrant our attention, particularly with regard to the Goodes issue. Forget about them.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

3. Indigenous Dance

Great summary and exactly the way things were. They only focused on the points they could win.Adam Goodes spear dance frightened the children?? What a load of crap! Did they also get scared with the pre game indigenous routine?Many people in the morning paper said they only booed him because he staged for free kicks. More absolute garbage. If that was the case, why is Joel Selwood never. Booed? The greatest stager in the last 20 years and there is stats to back up that claim. I would like to know how many free kicks went for and against Goodsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the veteran's list

It was the Hawthorn supporters' behaviour at a MCG game a few years ago that prompted me to write to The Age which in turn resulted in two interviews on ABC radio about the issue. The conduct of the Hawk supporters around me could not be termed as anything else but racism. The names they yelled towards Adam were disgusting and all had a racist basis. Never heard anything about "staging" or "sooking" etc, it was all about his color, his race and his supposed "ancestory". We won, but the night was wrecked.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    These people are paid spruikers. They have no interest in self-reflection. In Panahi's case and Newman's case, they don't even have the intellectual capacity to do so. They do not warrant our attention, particularly with regard to the Goodes issue. Forget about them.
    Just got back from watching The Final Quarter and that is very apparent: Bolt, Devine, Panahi, Newman, Jones etc are paid to stir up the worst in people.

Veterans List
    Page 37