Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Firstly let me say that the Goodes booing was totally racism, and perfectly summed up by Walled when he said the uproar was centred on an 'minority rocking the boat'.

However, I think Goodes was naive in not expecting that sort of backlash from Australia. We do not live in perfect world. He was also in a very exposed position being a sporting player. A very high risk move in hindsight.

I think what he did was great as it exposed this great inperfection in society, but you need to be as hard as nails to be able to cope and overcome the backlash. Its not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Firstly let me say that the Goodes booing was totally racism, and perfectly summed up by Walled when he said the uproar was centred on an 'minority rocking the boat'.

However, I think Goodes was naive in not expecting that sort of backlash from Australia. We do not live in perfect world. He was also in a very exposed position being a sporting player. A very high risk move in hindsight.

I think what he did was great as it exposed this great inperfection in society, but you need to be as hard as nails to be able to cope and overcome the backlash. Its not for everyone.
    If he was hard as nails, he would not be Adam Goodes, and he would not have delivered his message with such sensitivity. A lot of its power would have been lost as a consequence. He knew he was taking a risk, I'm sure, but he was entitled to expect far better than he got. Almost all of the backlash against him was based on a wilful (or in the case of Newman and a few others, just plain stupid) misrepresentation of his actual comments and actions. The moment we start to justify deliberate and malicious lying on the basis that the victims of it just need to harden up is the moment we lose our moral compass. There is literally no justification for what these people did, and they are to be condemned without equivocation.

You could call Goodes naive. Another word is courageous.

He was made Australian Of The Year for "his leadership and advocacy in the fight against racism both on the sporting field and within society - a stance which has won him the admiration and respect of people around Australia" so he might have actually believed that certain people, namely the AFL would defend him.

Caroline Wilson wrote last week about "the manner in which the AFL – which campaigned passionately behind the scenes to appoint him Australian of the Year – then failed to back him for fear of a supporter backlash." In the end he was a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter.

I don't think you can just say "we do not live in a perfect world". It is completely unacceptable that he was hounded out of the game because he dared to (1) publicly call out racism and (2) talk about Australia's colonial past.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    If he was hard as nails, he would not be Adam Goodes, and he would not have delivered his message with such sensitivity. A lot of its power would have been lost as a consequence. He knew he was taking a risk, I'm sure, but he was entitled to expect far better than he got. Almost all of the backlash against him was based on a wilful (or in the case of Newman and a few others, just plain stupid) misrepresentation of his actual comments and actions. The moment we start to justify deliberate and malicious lying on the basis that the victims of it just need to harden up is the moment we lose our moral compass. There is literally no justification for what these people did, and they are to be condemned without equivocation.
    Great post.

Also agree with you, Mw.

Senior Player

Not many Indigenous players have put themselves on the line like Adam. Michael Long is one, Nicky Widmar the other as I recall. Takes great courage because it is a very lonely, frightening place.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    If you fear you are going to be persecuted, why say it and put yourself in that position?
    Most people on RWO are reasonable, tolerant and are accepting of all people, regardless of their colour, race, sexual orientation, religion (or not), etc., and have a very low tolerance level for bigotry and racism.
    Especially in a thread about probably one of our greatest players ever... indigenous or not. Would you talk the way you do about Bobby Skilton? Paul Kelly? Give it a rest, buddy.
    Don't feed the fire.
    Now that is balance and logic.....

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great post.

Also agree with you, Mw.
    I had the pleasure of seeing the premier of ‘The Australian Dream’. last night.

Without trying to compare it with the brilliant ‘Final Quarter’, it is more expansive, more ambitious and ultiminately an extraordinary instance of documentary film making.

You get an insight into Adam’s whole footy career, (dating back to 1997); as well as the story of his mum as a stolen generation Aborginal.

With Stan Grant’s writing you the audience get inside how a young Aborginal person, even a sporting superstar, feels to be black in modern Australia.

And it’s quite balanced, with people like Andrew Bolt actually appearing in the contemporary part of the film. (No contrition however from Bolt).

Isn’t it incredible that within 2 months two supreme instances of Australian documentary filmmaking both about Adam Goodes are released.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    SMH review of The Australian Dream

The Australian Dream is probably destined to be known as "the other" Adam Goodes film, arriving as it does a few weeks after The Final Quarter aired on Ten. But in no way is it a lesser work. Rather, this excellent documentary is the perfect sequel.

To put it in more emotional terms, if The Final Quarter left you seething at how appalling this country sometimes is, The Australian Dream might have you feeling cautiously optimistic about how good it can be – if it has the will to try.
    https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...01-p52d20.html

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The documentary also provides an insight in how Adam started his adult life with limited appreciation of his Aboriginal culture.

Then the Bloods culture stepped in: Goodes along with all the other Swans are encouraged to use their spare times beyond football, most nobably university studies. Goodes learns about his heritage through this uni process. He also feels part of two cultures for the first time in his life-the Bloods culture from the Swans, and of course his newly discovered Aboriginal heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    And it’s quite balanced, with people like Andrew Bolt actually appearing in the contemporary part of the film. (No contrition however from Bolt).
    I don't think Bolt has ever shown contrition about anything, or even been persuaded to change his mind, not even after the excoriating judgement handed down by Justice Bromberg (a much better judge than he was a back pocket). Contrast that with Adam's comments on Australia Day. How Adam has been portrayed as "a nasty, divisive personality" (text message from a listener read out on air on ABC 774 yesterday) by the same people who idolise the likes of Bolt is a confounding mystery. Something happens to people's brains at a certain point in their lives that turns reality upside down, and there seems to be no way of healing the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I don't think Bolt has ever shown contrition about anything, or even been persuaded to change his mind, not even after the excoriating judgement handed down by Justice Bromberg (a much better judge than he was a back pocket). Contrast that with Adam's comments on Australia Day. How Adam has been portrayed as "a nasty, divisive personality" (text message from a listener read out on air on ABC 774 yesterday) by the same people who idolise the likes of Bolt is a confounding mystery. Something happens to people's brains at a certain point in their lives that turns reality upside down, and there seems to be no way of healing the damage.
    Bloody hell. Give it a rest. You hate Bolt. We've got it.

Veterans List
    They mentioned on ABC news yesterday that the documentary will be shown on the ABC early next year.