Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

I recorded the documentary and watched it this afternoon.

It was gut wrenching to see close up what Adam was going through in those terrible 3 years. The hatred and racist vitriol spewed out by Jones, Newman, Bolt and Devine was unbelievable and brought back horrible memories of going to the SCG games and watching on TV.

I wish that one day in the not too distant future, that Adam will be welcomed back into the AFL community and take his rightful place as a champion player and a champion individual. We can only hope that will happen.

The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Three moments in the film which made me particularly emotional:

1. Lisa Sansbury, Adam’s mother, wiping away tears of pride as Adam was named Australian of the Year - not knowing what was to come.

2. The footage of the wonderful support and love for Adam from Swans fans at the SCG for the match against the Crows. (I was overseas and while I very closely followed what was happening, I hadn’t seen that footage before. Well done you lot.)

3. Adam walking off at the end of his last match against the Roos in the 2015 semi-final at ANZ. At that stage the players did not know if Goodes would retire, although everyone knew it was likely. I read recently that Macca asked Adam at the end of the match if that was the end - if so the players wanted to chair him off. You can see Ted and Reg walking by his side ready to lift him if he said yes. Instead Adam brushed them off - he did not want to give those despicable North Melbourne supporters one last chance to boo him. Heartbreaking.

Veterans List
    I watched the documentary today and I came away feeling sad, angry and proud. Sad that Adam had to go through this. Angry at the people that put him through this. Proud of the club that I support and proud that a champion like Goodes played for my club.

Adam was so calm and was well spoken after all of the incidents. I don't know if I would have been able to control myself like he did if I was in his shoes.

I loved how the documentary was able to make Newman, Bolt and Jones look like fools by showing actual facts that contradicted their continuous use of the 13 year old girl line and the false claims that Goodes was being divisive.

I hadn't watched the footy show in years and I shouldn't have been surprised by Newman's comments but I couldn't believe what was coming out of his mouth. How could he possibly find something negative about the Swans and Geelong players running through the same banner?? Hearing the crowd cheering him on after each comment was sad. Although I was hearted hearing that one person yell out that he was a racist.

I was surprised that Buckley said that the booing should be ignored and I was even more surprised how Robinson stood up to him. Buckley certainly changed his tune this year when he called out the booing of Pendlebury.

I hope that the Australian public that watched the documentary now appreciate what Goodes had to go through and don't just see him as a sook. When my mum saw the footage of the booing at the games she was shocked.
    Last edited by liz; 19th July 2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    3. Adam walking off at the end of his last match against the Roos in the 2015 semi-final at ANZ. At that stage the players did not know if Goodes would retire, although everyone knew it was likely. I read recently that Macca asked Adam at the end of the match if that was the end - if so the players wanted to chair him off. You can see Ted and Reg walking by his side ready to lift him if he said yes. Instead Adam brushed them off - he did not want to give those despicable North Melbourne supporters one last chance to boo him. Heartbreaking.
    It was such a sad way for such a wonderful player to go out A wrong that can never really be 'righted', no matter what steps might be taken to try and address it.

It was a wonderful night that night at the SCG when the Swans family stood up for Goodesy. A bright light in an otherwise very dark period.
    Last edited by liz; 19th July 2019 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Removed off topic comment
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

@@@@ that hurt! A brilliant format that allows no real wriggle room for those awful boors. He’s such an amazing man

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I was surprised that Buckley said that the booing should be ignored and I was even more surprised how Robinson stood up to him. Buckley certainly changed his tune this year when he called out the booing of Pendlebury.
    The one thing I will say about Buckley is that he seemed to want to talk about Adam Goodes as the great player that he was and not the booing. I think he said something like "let's not make this his story - he is much more than this." I agree with that in some way. So many people forget how damn good he was as a player.

P.S. I so wish Jetts didn't get home sick and was a lifetime Swans player.

Veteran Site Admin
    Please stick to talking about the Goodes incident and other footy related matters in this thread. If you wish to comment on events in US politics, please go over to Open Chat to do so.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    For some reason it won’t link properly but it’s a great summary that succinctly refutes the “ facts “ of the agenda that attempted to justify the booing as not a a “ Racist thing” copy and paste in your browser

https://10daily.com.au/views/a190712...ieved-20190717
    Great article....

This is interesting as well......some encouraging reactions to the doco.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-...ut-adam-goodes
    Last edited by stevoswan; 19th July 2019 at 11:54 PM.

I watched the Goodes Aust Day speech for the first time today. He certainly sent us a very worthwhile message about rascism. Very powerfully delivered.

Personally, given the occasion, I would have liked to have seen him perhaps start off with a few positives about the many good aspects of our our great country rather than go straight for the jugular on this important issue. Having said that, I can see that he had limited time to deliver this important message.

I admire his stance so much and will always see him as a great Australian and legend of our Club.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sam Newman still thinks Goodes had incited supporters to boo him and that he couldn't take it. Reckons the whole episode has been hijacked into about being race. Unbelievable! Don't think he watched the documentary, despite giving the impression that he has.

Adam Goodes documentary: The Final Quarter, Sam Newman hits back

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Sam Newman still thinks Goodes had incited supporters to boo him and that he couldn't take it. Reckons the whole episode has been hijacked into about being race. Unbelievable! Don't think he watched the documentary, despite giving the impression that he has.

It's a longstanding tradition. John Milton called it in 1642:

"But now, with a most inhuman cruelty, they who have put out the people’s eyes, reproach them of their blindness" - Manufacturing Consent
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

Newman gave himself away when he said that he was waiting for the AFL to have a special celebration round for "white, Protestant, heterosexual males."
    He's a narcissist - it's all about him and people who look and think like him. As a "white, Protestant, heterosexual male," he's been privileged all of his life. He doesn't like it when people who are different to him appear to be getting special attention and feels threatened by it. "The Final Quarter" showed him up as the insignificant and irrelevant little man that he is.