Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Final Quarter / The Australian Dream (AG documentaries) and related discussion

Senior Player
    So then that is his belief and if it’s not illegal then he is entitled to hold it and others are able to disagree if they want. I suspect no amount of online communication will do much to change anyone’s beliefs.
    So could we get back to celebrating Adam and leave the ongoing political discourse to be discussed in another arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    So then that is his belief and if it’s not illegal then he is entitled to hold it and others are able to disagree if they want. I suspect no amount of online communication will do much to change anyone’s beliefs.
    So could we get back to celebrating Adam and leave the ongoing political discourse to be discussed in another arena.
    Well we could, if SSB was shut down as soon as he starts this nonsense. But he's repeatedly been given latitude he shouldn't have been. He may not be trolling, in the sense that he really believes the idiocy he's spouting, but without a doubt he's being deliberately (and quite unnecessarily) provocative. Posts like this should not be allowed to go up in the first place.

Veterans List
    This is relevant to Adam but I couldn't find the 'moved thread' on 'Cultural issues", so I've put it here. It is relevant....but mod's can move it to the other thread by all means.

I found this letter in the Hun yesterday. I kid you not....it was the "Letter of the Day". It was titled "FANS AREN'T RACIST"......

"A racist would probably glorify in being called so; being labelled a racist when this is obviously untrue is a hurtful slur equal to that felt by anyone who is racially villified.

Australians overwhelmingly are not racist.....and especially not football fans.

How can you be a racist if you love Buddy, Eddie, Shaun, Trav and dozens of other AFL champions but dislike one other player who happens to be indigenous?

How can you revere Adam Goodes for ten years and then suddenly become racist towards him?

I'm definitely not in favour of booing a sportsman but in today's PC-driven world, if you were to make any adverse comment or question anything related to Aborigines publicly, it seems you are immediately labelled a racist.....hence the anonymous expressions of disdain (booing).

Who in the sports commentary field would be game to suggest Goodes is divisive, hypocritical, or needs to harden up? It would be goodbye to their career.

Let's call out racism where it truly exists.....and white Australia will be the first to point the finger.....but not solely because it suits someone's agenda to be a 'race victim'.

Terry."

So.....it suits Adams agenda to be a race victim? As if he actually chooses to be a victim? WTF?!

As for "goodbye to their careers', many commentators made those exact assertions about Adam....and I believe they all still have their jobs. One is an AFL club president.

Apparently disagreeing with someone is also 'booing' them.....so we 'lefties' must be just as bad as racist booers.....seriously Terry, get a grip.

"How can you love Buddy, Eddie etc"....ah yes, that ol' chestnut. Many fans 'love' the indigenous players in their own side for obvious reasons.....they increase their teams chances of winning. When the shoe is on the other foot however.....how many times have we seen a fans membership torn up for a racist outburst when they also have indigenous players in the side they barrack for.....who they apparently 'love'?

I do agree that it would be offensive for someone who is truly not racist to be called a racist but I doubt they would be saying stuff that could construed as racist in the first place.....and I highly doubt it would hurt as much as it would for an indigenous person when someone calls them a 'monkey'.

Exposing himself somewhat, we can see from Terry's second last sentence that he does actually think Adam is "divisive, hypocritical and needs to harden up".

So there you have it....this is one of this countries major publications representation of a voice of reason on the subject of Adam Goodes (by making it their 'letter of the day' and thereby basically endorsing it). Subsequently, it appears that at least sections of 'white Australia' have trouble 'pointing the finger' at racism even when it is staring them in the face....and that they possibly don't even understand what it actually is.

Sadly, we appear to have a looooong way to go.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 15th June 2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I heartily endorse this request. There is a thread under Open Chat for political discussion for those who wish to take part. Please don’t divert this thread.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post

With regards to the Goodes booing...yes there were times where he was booed sporadically for staging for frees and also during that period when he was sliding in with his legs. However, after he pointed out the 13 year old girl and then after being named Australian of the Year the booing was constant every time he touched or went near the ball. It was non stop.
    Spike Lee popularised the term The Magical Negro, a film character who exists solely to help the white man achieve his
    goals and in doing so, become a better person. I think there is a section of footy fans who can only accept the Magical Indigenous
    AFL Footballer, a player who exists to "unite and placate" us, and entertain us with his “magical” skills.
    Last edited by KTigers; 15th June 2019 at 09:23 PM.

At the risk of putting a toe out of line ( god forbid ) in terms of what is and is not a discussion regarding Adam Goodes ... had to comment on a post on Facebook ( well a comment on a triple m post of Chris Judd discussing a classy moment from him with goodesy at the beginning of the 2006 GF). Anyway some moron referring to the Goodes ‘ moment’ of calling out the ‘ape’ call decided to explain he was at that game in GEELONG !!! and that there was no way Goodes could have even heard the call from 3 rows back ! Not so politely pointed out that game ( which I was at ) took place at the MCG, between the swans and Collingwood and that he may be sans a brain and should perhaps go and watch play school and have a cookie . Geez there is some nuffies out there , there is still so much hate when you get into the comments section of these posts or similar ones. It’s sad, we are still a very racist country. ( I have a kiwi partner and it’s damning how the kiwis think of us too in that regard )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    To a dead set right winger, the ABC probably appears biased only because they tell both sides if the story, not just the 'right wing' point of view, a la Sky (and Fox in the US)....and they tell stories with 'empathy'.....you know, that quality that allows people to 'put themselves in someone else's shoes'. You should try it.....

It must piss them off that this is the case with our national broadcaster....."Why aren't they telling 'porky's' like Sky? They must be biased!"

FFS, get a broader view on life mate.....
    Stevoswan, I hope you don't mind my transferring your post to this page; it seemed better to follow on in this forum.

The outstanding quality of the ABC is that whoever is in office sees them as biased. Liberal and Labor are the obvious complainers, but the ABC doesn't hold back for the Greens, nor even for Pauline Hanson!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The way Sam Newman has been treated by Goodes and his supporters is a bloody disgrace (as was the booing of Goodes). Sam is a legend of the game and a legend of AFL media/entertainment. You don't have to agree with him but he has every right to express his opinion without bigots attacking him.
    Newman has made a living out of being an Aussie bogan in the worst sense. Treatment of Goodes and Winmar racist, Caroline Wilson sexist, people with a disability on "Street Talk" cringe worthy. He is a magnet for the worst in Australians - just because Sam says it, they believe it is OK to go with it. You can throw Shane Warne into the same conversation. After being attention seekers on the sports field they suffer from severe attention deficit when they retire. To them it is better to be regarded as an intellectual pigmy than to not be regarded at all.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Newman has made a living out of being an Aussie bogan in the worst sense. Treatment of Goodes and Winmar racist, Caroline Wilson sexist, people with a disability on "Street Talk" cringe worthy. He is a magnet for the worst in Australians - just because Sam says it, they believe it is OK to go with it. You can throw Shane Warne into the same conversation. After being attention seekers on the sports field they suffer from severe attention deficit when they retire. To them it is better to be regarded as an intellectual pigmy than to not be regarded at all.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The way Sam Newman has been treated by Goodes and his supporters is a bloody disgrace (as was the booing of Goodes). Sam is a legend of the game and a legend of AFL media/entertainment. You don't have to agree with him but he has every right to express his opinion without bigots attacking him.
    Both Andrew Bolt and Rita Panahi have weighed into the debate about Goodes again this week. They have slightly different viewpoints about the circumstances but they are coming from the same ideological standpoint. I’d be interested in hearing what you made of them, S.S. Bleeder.

I don’t share their opinion, or that of Sam Newman, but am curious when people do.

It is one of those issues where you see who is arguing on which side. When I see McGuire, Newman, Warne, Bolt, Panahi and Jones all lined up together I usually start moving in the opposite direction.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Both Andrew Bolt and Rita Panahi have weighed into the debate about Goodes again this week. They have slightly different viewpoints about the circumstances but they are coming from the same ideological standpoint. I’d be interested in hearing what you made of them, S.S. Bleeder.

I don’t share their opinion, or that of Sam Newman, but am curious when people do.

It is one of those issues where you see who is arguing on which side. When I see McGuire, Newman, Warne, Bolt, Panahi and Jones all lined up together I usually start moving in the opposite direction.
    Can't stand McGuire but he is not in same boat as the others even if he is nauseatingly "mates"with them.