Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to head hunt a forward coach?

Nature of the modern game when you get beaten around the contest. There's not a single team in the competition that keeps forwards inside 50 when they're defending.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    It's not the forwards as such I'm talking about. it is the structure of the forward line. Look at the options presented to the Giants as they went forward. We are usually out numbered or in one big pack. There is no spread or forwards dummy leading to create space. Kirk should work with the mids. Longmire should take responsibility for looking after the forward line himself because he was a gun. Kirk, Francou, Dew are all ex onballers and Blakey is an ex defender. Only Playfair was a forward and he was no great exponent of the craft.
    I know execution is a problem, but look at the options the crows have - space everywhere and forwards leading to all points of the compass.
    I went to Adelaide for the crows game. What I thought was interesting was that regularly the crows bombed an incredibly high long kick to a forward pack. They have a set play where they kick high and long to a tall forward with Eddie Betts crumbing. Their other two set plays are a short pass to a tall forward on the 50 line, or an over the back to Jenkins.

At the smaller SCG and with Swans defense these plays could be more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I went to Adelaide for the crows game. What I thought was interesting was that regularly the crows bombed an incredibly high long kick to a forward pack. They have a set play where they kick high and long to a tall forward with Eddie Betts crumbing. Their other two set plays are a short pass to a tall forward on the 50 line, or an over the back to Jenkins.

At the smaller SCG and with Swans defense these plays could be more difficult.
    That was our biggest problem on Saturday... no rovers.
    You have to WANT the ball.
    Our boys spent too much time playing the man and leaving the ball on the ground. I counted five instances of this.
    Not happy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Our boys spent too much time playing the man and leaving the ball on the ground. I counted five instances of this.
    Not happy.
    Yer I noticed that too, we never seemed to have anyone at the drop of the ball or at a spillage, where GWS always seemed to have a player there ready to pounce, it was frustrating the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Not happy.
    I noticed that too - how frustrating is it when we just run past the ball, too busy worrying about the player. In the end you can only kick goals if you actually have the ball. Its been a bad habit for a large part of the year, but has been exceptionally noticeable in our bad losses.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I may be in the minority here but I think we are a better team when Buddy is roaming the wing and F50 arc. He is not a great mark one-on-one, even less so when double teamed. With his long kicking he is a threat anywhere around the 50.
    A good contested mark like Reid, or early season Heeney, would be lovely to have inside the F50. I was hoping Naismith could also be that target but probably needs some more games at the top level. Rohan and Heeney should be a nightmare matchup out of the goal square but don't seem to be. Maybe the mids don't target them enough, or don't see them, which is hard to fathom with the bright blonde and ginger heads on them.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12