Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    I don't want our team to do this. But the AFL is condoning selected other teams doing similar by not sanctioning players who try to hurt other players intentionally... Hodge lining up and crunching a player's head between his hip and shoulder and the goal post anyone?
    The AFL are turning a blind eye to this type of thing and want teams to use this tactic to win. I guess they figure it's more appealing from a spectators perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    The AFL are turning a blind eye to this type of thing and want teams to use this tactic to win. I guess they figure it's more appealing from a spectators perspective.
    Certain teams. If we had gone out with the same intent as GWS did on Saturday we would have been pinged early on and given a few 50s to send a message. That i can be sure off. Heck we got pinged on some really anal things while GWS was given a lot of leeway.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Dear oh dear. Some irrational crap on here.
    Are you a footy fan or a robot? Emotional yes, irrational crap no. Fact based opinion delivered with passion and some justified anger. Healthy, and I never get constipated!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I feel the last time we had this was 2005-2006. We've lost that spirit imo.
    I thought that spirit would return this year with the return of Kirky. Early this season, I thought we were seeing it, but it's faded and we need his influence now more than ever. Arise the Spirit of the Bloods!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroyII View Post
    Yep that was terrible and then he gets caught drink driving but the narrative all along has been how much of a top bloke he is. And then on Friday night when things weren't going his way he was at it again with intent and punches to the kidney area while player wasnt looking. The expression on his face when he did it reminded me of the alpha bullies at school who would punch someone really hard while looking away. Tough man stuff.

I think its time the club start to have an edge, because being nice guys who play within the rules and spirit of the code is kinda being laughed at, especially when the comp is run by ex players who thrived on punching back of heads and throwing elbows around when they played in the 70s and 80s.
    It was funny (not), during the Geelong/Hawthorn game just after Hodge was doing one of his dog acts, on came an ad for 'Light'n'Easy', and I just had to chuckle to myself at the irony and injustice of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Do people seriously think Johnson tried to knock Joey out with his shoulder? I know the guy is great at working angles, but that's pretty flattering to think he could line that one up.
    Actually, yes. Earlier I did watch the replay a few times in slow motion, just to make sure that I wasn't venting on social media over an incident that was an unfortunate accident. While you can see Joey track the ball, that is, his eyes and head are firstly looking ahead, then up at the passing ball and then behind, Johnson's eyes never leave Joey. He pays no attention to the ball while he runs towards Joey and then smashes him squarely on the jaw with his shoulder.
    While you could possibly give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he only meant to illegally blindside him, without trying to cause a major injury, I see absolutely no reason to do that, given the fact that he is the second most charged player in the history of the AFL/VFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    By clearing mumford they are basically telling him he can get away with his thuggery for as long as they are in the series
    Yes, and by claiming that Tippo's head never at any stage hit the ground, they are just giving the big finger to anyone with at least half a brain and a few functioning sense organs.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Actually, yes. Earlier I did watch the replay a few times in slow motion, just to make sure that I wasn't venting on social media over an incident that was an unfortunate accident. While you can see Joey track the ball, that is, his eyes and head are firstly looking ahead, then up at the passing ball and then behind, Johnson's eyes never leave Joey. He pays no attention to the ball while he runs towards Joey and then smashes him squarely on the jaw with his shoulder.
    While you could possibly give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he only meant to illegally blindside him, without trying to cause a major injury, I see absolutely no reason to do that, given the fact that he is the second most charged player in the history of the AFL/VFL.
    I agree deja that the intent looked fairly clear from the angles I saw - Johnson seemed to have eyes only for the man. No surprise from a man of his snarky pedigree.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    From the limited vision available and the consequences (ie Joey down on the ground, clearly in discomfort) I think it is close to a certainty that he was struck somewhere in the face with an elbow. The missing vision seems only to be a frame or two, and from the frames either side I don't think Johnson's torso is ever close enough to Kennedy to suggest it was a bump. However, I realise that the MRP requires a higher standard of proof than is available from the vision. I wonder if they asked Kennedy or any of his team mates what actually happened. Clearly other players did see something, given they let Johnson know they weren't impressed by his actions.

Edit: There's now vision of the incident on the AFL website different to what was previously available. It shows the point of impact much more clearly. It appears to be fairly forceable contact to the face with the upper arm. How that was assessed as a bump rather than a strike I have no idea. But whether they could have assessed it as a deliberate strike is still a little questionable. A case could have been made, but I can see how they might also argue it was careless instead.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-09-...js-kennedy-hit
    Last edited by liz; 12th September 2016 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Dear oh dear. Some irrational crap on here.
    Really? Go and play outside for a while. The vitamin D will do you the world of good.

Back to it...
    I think the club (read: Andrew Pridham) should get up and start making a fuss about the treatment of our players and the lack of meaningful suspensions handed out to the bogans.
    I'd be calling up one of our QCs (who kindly offered their services for free, of which we have a few) and taking the Gill the dill, Mike Shiitpatrick and MRP to court for failing in properly punishing players that clearly break the rules of the game. The AFL STILL have a duty of care concerning players heads.
    What's the worst that'll happen?
    We'll be taking up space in the newspapers, big footy would explode, eddie would implode and a big fat spotlight gets shone on the MRP on their dodgy decisions.
    Oh. And we'd probably cop a fine.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's now vision of the incident on the AFL website different to what was previously available. It shows the point of impact But whether they could have assessed it as a deliberate strike is still a little questionable. A case could have been made, but I can see how they might also argue it was careless instead.

How the MRP saw Stevie J's Kennedy hit - AFL.com.au
    Yes, I think Johnson is very lucky that vision was not clear enough to deem it striking and/or intentional, so he was given the benefit of the doubt and it was deemed careless. He might otherwise have been out for 2 weeks and therefore the GF (if GWS make it).

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Really? Go and play outside for a while. The vitamin D will do you the world of good.

Back to it...
    I think the club (read: Andrew Pridham) should get up and start making a fuss about the treatment of our players and the lack of meaningful suspensions handed out to the bogans.
    I'd be calling up one of our QCs (who kindly offered their services for free, of which we have a few) and taking the Gill the dill, Mike Shiitpatrick and MRP to court for failing in properly punishing players that clearly break the rules of the game. The AFL STILL have a duty of care concerning players heads.
    What's the worst that'll happen?
    We'll be taking up space in the newspapers, big footy would explode, eddie would implode and a big fat spotlight gets shone on the MRP on their dodgy decisions.
    Oh. And we'd probably cop a fine.
    At the very least, I would like to see members of the AFL hierarchy, attempting to explain to sharp legal minds, as to just why they are of the opinion that Tippo's head never hit the ground.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast