Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Buddy & Jack taunted by Mumford

Some of the comments online justify why I dislike footy fans first and bogans second. Blokey blokes saying nothing wrong with sledging someone about their mental health, that buddy should be the bigger man and ignore it and then implying that it was a drug rehab holiday and not a mental one, so it was fair game.

I bet these stains on the underpants of humanity were massive bullies at school. All we need is a herald dumb article by Rita Paranah criticising those who find this offensive as the loony left and anything goes on the footy field.

I think i will avoid the internet this morning, dont want to ruin my day.

Very disappointing to hear that some people still feel in this age it is appropriate to sledge someone over their mental health condition. Times have changed.

And Barry with due respect to you...people can comment about this issue and not "move on from GWS" as the thread title is Buddy and Jack Taunted by Mummy so it's all on topic.
    Swannies for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Really I think the whole world needs a teaspoon of cement .
    This remark is pretty mild in the scheme of things and no more offensive then referencing the promiscuity of a partner / mother / sister etc.
    Josh went on the record last week saying that he wouldn't have an issue with sledging the Giants and when it happens to us it's all of a sudden offensive?
    If that remark put Lance off in any way ( and I seriously doubt it did ) then he's got some work to do on his mental preparation for games
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Does everyone understand what sledging is and what it is intended to do?
    I don't personally agree with it but as long as it doesn't reference race / sex / sexual orientation or religion I think we have to accept it for what it is. An attempt to gain a mental edge over your competition.
    You DO know you just contradicted yourself, don't you?

In your opinion, sledging can't reference race, sex, sexual orientation or religion, but CAN reference people's mental health issues.

Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroyII View Post
    Its interesting and maddening at the same time reading and seeing how older male supporters online dont think much of sledging someone about their mental health, while younger fans online can understand its no no and mental illness is a very serious thing.

I think the older supporters should actually back away about this and learn that in these modern times race, sexuality, religion and mental health is not something you bully someone over and male depression is a real issue, not something you dismiss while telling someone to harden the @@@@ up over it, that attitude is exactly why we are trying to beat the stigma attached to mental health.
    As a 54yo male I take issue with this generalisation about older males. I suggest using the word 'some' next time.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Senior Player
    Dumbford is dopey, the guy lacks any brains and is very lucky to be playing footy, let alone earning a wage of half a million bucks.

Its interesting and maddening at the same time reading and seeing how older male supporters online dont think much of sledging someone about their mental health, while younger fans online can understand its no no and mental illness is a very serious thing.

I think the older supporters should actually back away about this and learn that in these modern times race, sexuality, religion and mental health is not something you bully someone over and male depression is a real issue, not something you dismiss while telling someone to harden the @@@@ up over it, that attitude is exactly why we are trying to beat the stigma attached to mental health.
    Maybe I have misread the intent of your post here. I think I quite clearly stated that it is not ok to sledge someone in regard to mental health issues. I don't like sledging at all. I equate it to cowardice.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Maybe I have misread the intent of your post here. I think I quite clearly stated that it is not ok to sledge someone in regard to mental health issues. I don't like sledging at all. I equate it to cowardice.
    I wasnt having a go at you or anyone on here.

I was commenting on the crap i am reading online and facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    As a 54yo male I take issue with this generalisation about older males. I suggest using the word 'some' next time.
    Maybe, but the trend i am seeing is that older males seem not to want to adjust to modern times and feel the need to still throw their 1970s machismo attitude around.

Sorry if I offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Very disappointing to hear that some people still feel in this age it is appropriate to sledge someone over their mental health condition. Times have changed.

And Barry with due respect to you...people can comment about this issue and not "move on from GWS" as the thread title is Buddy and Jack Taunted by Mummy so it's all on topic.
    Please. Mummy's comments are very light and barely sledging in the time-honoured tradition. The Australian cricket team wouldnt have even called that a sledge. In fact if Mummy was opening bowler and tried that on, he'd be "rested" for the next game, no matter how many wickets he took.

This GWS-hatred is starting to feel a little contrived.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasnt having a go at you or anyone on here.

I was commenting on the crap i am reading online and facebook.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but the trend i am seeing is that older males seem not to want to adjust to modern times and feel the need to still throw their 1970s machismo attitude around.

Sorry if I offended.
    How old are you kilroy ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Please. Mummy's comments are very light and barely sledging in the time-honoured tradition. The Australian cricket team wouldnt have even called that a sledge. In fact if Mummy was opening bowler and tried that on, he'd be "rested" for the next game, no matter how many wickets he took.

Seriously? Are you trivialising what is a low act and a serious issue?

Is that what you are really doing?

Or are you being a contrarian just for the sake of it?

Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Lol @ kilroy

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Seriously? Are you trivialising what is a low act and a serious issue?

Is that what you are really doing?

Or are you being a contrarian just for the sake of it?

Talk about cognitive dissonance!
    Kilroy, How old are you? You report about sledging, but you think its OK to degrade and debase older supporters because they lived in the 1970s?? That all of them are racist/sledging people who should banned from being supporters? Let me guess!! you are the young generation and you know EVERYTHING!!! I find your comments rather offensive.

Only if you are a hater-bandwagoner.
    Where were the haters five years ago?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

As I said, times have changed. It is not appropriate to sledge someone in this context. Also nothing to do with contrived GWS hatred...wouldn't have mattered who said it, feelings would have been the same on this one.
    Swannies for life!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast