Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Buddy & Jack taunted by Mumford

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Really I think the whole world needs a teaspoon of cement .
    This remark is pretty mild in the scheme of things and no more offensive then referencing the promiscuity of a partner / mother / sister etc.
    Josh went on the record last week saying that he wouldn't have an issue with sledging the Giants and when it happens to us it's all of a sudden offensive?
    If that remark put Lance off in any way ( and I seriously doubt it did ) then he's got some work to do on his mental preparation for games
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Anyone with experience having a mental health issue or being close to someone who has, would find to comment to be based on ignorance.
    Sorry you're wrong. I have an extremely close relative who suffers schizophrenia, he is the most beautiful soul on earth and to see how he suffers is heartbreaking. I told him what Mumford said and he laughed!

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Please. Mummy's comments are very light and barely sledging in the time-honoured tradition. The Australian cricket team wouldnt have even called that a sledge. In fact if Mummy was opening bowler and tried that on, he'd be "rested" for the next game, no matter how many wickets he took.

This GWS-hatred is starting to feel a little contrived
    I don't often agree with you Barry, but I do on this post.

It seems to me that Mumford was levelling his comment more toward the innuendo that surrounded Buddies absence last year rather than the mental health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Kilroy, How old are you? You report about sledging, but you think its OK to degrade and debase older supporters because they lived in the 1970s?? That all of them are racist/sledging people who should banned from being supporters? Let me guess!! you are the young generation and you know EVERYTHING!!! I find your comments rather offensive.
    I was born in the mid 70s and grew up in the 80s. I grew up with the mindset that if you didnt do manly stuff, you were a poof and poofs were bad, like aboes and @@@@ were dirty bludgers. I also was told many times to grow a pair like a real man when i felt my emotions got the better of me and needed someone to chat too.

I hated it back then and was in a minority BUT I am so glad that mentality, that blokey toxic POV is finally being called for what it is. Imagine all those poor guys who ended their lives because Australian blokey culture bullied them into suppressing those feelings. Male suicide in Australia is a very real issue.

So yeah hardly a millennial, yep I do know a lot and am fully aware, I also have kids who I am teaching them the very core values that my parents and their generation refused to teach me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Agreed

Sorry you're wrong. I have an extremely close relative who suffers schizophrenia, he is the most beautiful soul on earth and to see how he suffers is heartbreaking. I told him what Mumford said and he laughed!

I don't often agree with you Barry, but I do on this post.

It seems to me that Mumford was levelling his comment more toward the innuendo that surrounded Buddies absence last year rather than the mental health issue.
    Disgraceful, but again it seems the older generation refuse to want to accept that trivialising mental health is not on.

And why use an anecdote? Your close relative might think it was funny, doesnt mean 99.99999% of those who suffer from that illness didnt think it was funny.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    As I said, times have changed. It is not appropriate to sledge someone in this context. Also nothing to do with contrived GWS hatred...wouldn't have mattered who said it, feelings would have been the same on this one.
    With you on that one Matt......run along Barry. Your agitating is becoming very tiresome. You're "hardness" exposes that your morals are actually 'weak as piss'........

Quote Originally Posted by kilroyII View Post
    Disgraceful, but again it seems the older generation refuse to want to accept that trivialising mental health is not on.

And why use an anecdote? Your close relative might think it was funny, doesnt mean 99.99999% of those who suffer from that illness didnt think it was funny.
    Oh get off your high horse! I was merely making a point from an actual sufferer of a sever mental illnesses perspective, or does the fact that an actual sufferer not get offended by the comment upset your oh so politically correct world?

Veterans List
    Oh get off your high horse! I was merely making a point from an actual sufferer of a sever mental illnesses perspective, or does the fact that an actual sufferer not get offended by the comment upset your oh so politically correct world?
    Your 'point' avoids the question of how would your 'friend' feel if his mental illness was targeted in the same way......I bet he wouldn't be laughing then. Having a mental illness does not give anyone the right to make light of someone else's plight, like they are automatically an authority on other mental health sufferers feelings and boundaries. I'd rather be on this moral 'high horse' than acting tough and suggesting people 'harden up'. It is not PC to expect respect and give likewise to others, I'd call it: being respectful, not to mention having the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, it's called empathy, a trait your friend may need to work on, in addition to his own mental health battle........I suggest that you are probably not the one to help him with this.....leave it to the professionals.

Ahh yes, Political Correctness gone mad! Just a euphemism for "I cant be offensive no more and it rooly rooly sucks!"

You used an anecdote and then used it as a blanket statement. Very poor form tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Your 'point' avoids the question of how would your 'friend' feel if his mental illness was targeted in the same way......I bet he wouldn't be laughing then. Having a mental illness does not give anyone the right to make light of someone else's plight, like they are automatically an authority on other mental health sufferers feelings and boundaries. I'd rather be on this moral 'high horse' than acting tough and suggesting people 'harden up'. It is not PC to expect respect and give likewise to others, I'd call it: being respectful, not to mention having the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, it's called empathy, a trait your friend may need to work on, in addition to his own mental health battle........I suggest that you are probably not the one to help him with this.....leave it to the professionals.
    Exactly, respect and empathy.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Stevo and Kilroy, what are your thoughts on Wil Minson getting sanctioned for saying someone's mum was a tramp?

I think all taunting or sledging is at the core, mental health related.
    I'm sure Mick Nolan copped a fair few fat comments on the field. How that affect his mental health? Lead to some depressing maybe, or some anxiety, perhaps put him in a frame of mind where he didn't want to run out on the field.

The old school mantra of "what happens on the field stay on the field". That is pretty much all encompassing. The line has been drawn with racial comments, and it will be adjusted to encompass other personal comments such as this.
    Maybe eventually players will be reported for talking back to other players.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Stevo and Kilroy, what are your thoughts on Wil Minson getting sanctioned for saying someone's mum was a tramp?
    Good sanction.........there's just no need for it. It's pretty simple. What, you think that's ok do you? Is your Mum a tramp......no. Would you be happy if someone called your Mum a tramp......no. Get a grip, it's not about toughness, it's about respect. Sheese!!! Mumfords brand of 'toughness' just exposes him for what he really is, and that is a coward.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 13th September 2016 at 03:00 PM.

Mum jokes are childish to begin with and expected from yr 7 students, so really just shows that idiots maturity level and secondly I dont like any sledging to be honest but if they are going to sledge then family-kids, wives, race, sexuality and illnesses is out, be witty about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I think all taunting or sledging is at the core, mental health related.
    I'm sure Mick Nolan copped a fair few fat comments on the field. How that affect his mental health? Lead to some depressing maybe, or some anxiety, perhaps put him in a frame of mind where he didn't want to run out on the field.

The old school mantra of "what happens on the field stay on the field". That is pretty much all encompassing. The line has been drawn with racial comments, and it will be adjusted to encompass other personal comments such as this.
    Maybe eventually players will be reported for talking back to other players.
    Mick Nolan would just walk off, sit on the bench, light up a smoke, open a can of beer and start chomping down on a meat pie. Thats the legend i heard when he got subbed by Barassi one year.

Wil Minson telling Kane Cornes "Shouldn't you be home looking after your sick kid" was he's coup de grace. What a scumbag...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast