Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two more years for Nic Newman

Senior Player

Two more years for Nic Newman

Newman has signed a new two year deal that sees him elevated for 2017
    A newy for Newy - sydneyswans.com.au

From everything the Reserves watchers have told us that is very good news. And makes the potential list changes at end of season even more interesting.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Very pleased to see this. I've only had the odd streaming on youtube to see him at work, but I'm impressed, and so I assume are the coaches.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Fantastic news. Looking forward to seeing his seniors debut.

Yes, good news indeed. It will be interesting to see if we upgrade Marsh as well, is it possible he is on a two year rookie deal?

Veterans List
    Everyone can thank me for this, the club has obviously taken note of my calls not to lose Nic! This is excellent news, has been ultra impressive in the NEAFL and I reckon he has just about got himself pencilled into the backline for 2017 with Mills or Jones to move to a wing/high HF.

I know there is paperwork needed but I wonder if he is going to debut this week against the Crows??

Yes, pleased with that, especially since there was some fear, that we might lose an obviously improving player due to lack of opportunities. I also noticed, that in the first paragraph of that story, that it mentioned a "forthcoming promotion to the senior list". Does that mean that he has been guaranteed a senior spot next year? Or does that mean we're about to pull a selection bolter?

Article on the Swans website says he signed a 2 year deal so will be with us until at least the end of 2017. I would have thought 2 years would take him to the end of 2018. I know cubs move players on with time still on their contracts but this statement seems a little odd. Is this an error which wasn't picked up before publishing? If so doesn't anyone proof-read anything anymore?

Or, as hinted to above, he will be promoted this week (2016) and for a second year in 2017.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Article on the Swans website says he signed a 2 year deal so will be with us until at least the end of 2017. I would have thought 2 years would take him to the end of 2018. I know cubs move players on with time still on their contracts but this statement seems a little odd. Is this an error which wasn't picked up before publishing? If so doesn't anyone proof-read anything anymore?
    I noticed that too and assumed it was a typo. I've tweeted club and Newman for clarification

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Everyone can thank me for this, the club has obviously taken note of my calls not to lose Nic! This is excellent news, has been ultra impressive in the NEAFL and I reckon he has just about got himself pencilled into the backline for 2017 with Mills or Jones to move to a wing/high HF.

I know there is paperwork needed but I wonder if he is going to debut this week against the Crows??
    Well spotted. I had my doubts on him after I seen him in the NAB cup, but after watching him in the NEAFL GF, wow he was impressive. Its obvious they want to bring in Laidler and Nankervis for Mills and Tippett, but hopefully they will bring in Newman for Mcglynn or Marsh.

Article on Swans app says "The extension ties the 23-year-old to the Sydney Swans until at least the end of 2018."

The elevation to senior list will happen for next year. I think it's too late for this year - no LTI vacancy on senior list and too late to place a new player on the LTI list (can't be done after Round 18).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast