Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two more years for Nic Newman

Fantastic news! I, too, look forward to seeing his debut. I was a bit spooked by people suggesting we might lose him to another club. I'm sure the offer of a position on the senior list and, I suspect, some concrete indication of where an opportunity to debut might come from helped getting him signed up.

Not such good news for Laidler, I fear, given that he has already dropped down the pecking order. Of the players not currently in our 22 there are a few that either are already part of our best 22 but injured or look like they will merit selection sooner or later (Newman and O'Riordan are the most promising unblooded talent and Sam Reid, Zak Jones, Talia, maybe AJ are returning from injury. Then there are the fringe players: Cunningham, BJ, Foote, Robinson, Towers) - and that leads to the question who can be left out of our playing 22 to make room for the new blood? I think McGlynn's time is nigh. (Towers isn't in our 22 currently but I think we should trade him out if he is worth anything and keep him for depth if he isn't.) Papley needs to keep in front of the fringe players but if he does should be ok. I like Hewett. X will likely lose his spot to Reid. I guess Macca is coming towards the end of his career, but it's not imminent. Who else can make way? Maybe we lose Mitchell, that will free up a spot which will see a shuffle of positions allowing someone like Newman into the team. That still isn't enough to see Newman (or O'Riordan or whoever) get a debut when we have a healthy list. Still, injuries are inevitable and so maybe that's the way it happens. Is anyone else vulnerable? Lloyd is the quiet achiever that plays his role and isn't seemingly in danger of being overtaken by any of the others. I guess Swampy is the last one on and hasn't cemented his spot yet (although he is obviously firmly in front of Laids at the mo') and could be overtaken by Newman or O'Riordan. There's no one else, is there?

Even though Laidler is down the pecking order wasn't his contract extended? Also don't clubs look at "best" 28 - 30?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Even though Laidler is down the pecking order wasn't his contract extended? Also don't clubs look at "best" 28 - 30?
    Yes. Laidler was extended another two years back in April. Will take him at least to end of 2018.

We have a lot of talent not in the seniors.
    Come 2017 and with all players available including AJ, i think the following players miss out of beiing in best 22:
    Mcglynn
    Mcveigh
    Towers
    Jones
    X.
    Cunningham

Laidler and papley looking over their shoulders.

I also think the brandon jack experiment might be over.

Plenty of scope for a clean out. We lack a good small forward. Is balentine worth a crack?

Veterans List
    Ballantyne? I hate the little b and he'll be 30 at the start of next season, so not worth a crack.

BJ has a contract for next year but unless he can fix his disposal it will be his last.

McVeigh is still best 22 and will be next year

Jones I still think should be a midfielder, fearless bash and crash, bit of speed, bit of mongrel. Let the classy guys do backline work, Newman will be best 22 and O'Riordan is coming with a bullet.

X, Towers, Cunningham and probably Laidler are only depth. We don't know the Talia washup or even if he is best 22!

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Ballantyne? I hate the little b and he'll be 30 at the start of next season, so not worth a crack.

BJ has a contract for next year but unless he can fix his disposal it will be his last.

McVeigh is still best 22 and will be next year

Jones I still think should be a midfielder, fearless bash and crash, bit of speed, bit of mongrel. Let the classy guys do backline work, Newman will be best 22 and O'Riordan is coming with a bullet.

X, Towers, Cunningham and probably Laidler are only depth. We don't know the Talia washup or even if he is best 22!
    Cannot believe people are mentioning X?? I really rate him for the future and yes, he was ordinary on Saturday, so were many others.

Zac Jones is a walk up starter had he not been concussed would be playing this week and will be in the 22 next year easily.

Veterans List
    I believe Newman's brother is a late bloomer as well only getting serious about his footy this year, likely to be a rookie pick. I'm sure now we'll be monitoring Newman Jr's progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Cannot believe people are mentioning X?? I really rate him for the future and yes, he was ordinary on Saturday, so were many others.
    I only think he is fringe because Sam Reid should be in front of him for best 22. A lot of water to flow under the bridge before 2017 first round and X is a recent forward conversion so he has upside you'd think.

I got drunk Friday and lost my phone in a Paris taxi. So I take the blame for Saturday's loss as I was unavailable to help Horse when he needed me most. I'm back online with Mrs Ludwig's phone and can communicate on English.

At least I was offline so didn't have to suffer watching the pitiful loss. My heart breaks for you all.

I got to T.H. and told him to sign up Nic toute suite becauae I already had him in my starting 22 next year.

Ah! Welcome back Ludwig. I was getting worried about you. And we have all needed a few laughs after Saturday!

Thanks Meg. In Avignon now and have to take Mrs Ludd to a traditional Provencal market but hope to get in a few posts before the Granny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks Meg. In Avignon now and have to take Mrs Ludd to a traditional Provencal market but hope to get in a few posts before the Granny.
    Yes, you were conspicuous by your absence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12