Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RWO Grand Final Day Thread - Saturday 17th September

Been trading barbs all day, walking the long way round the oval to specifically walk in front of the supporter group and then mouth off led to a few idiots doing something stupid. Walking the shorter way rather than trying to inflame the situation was probably a better idea.

Pushing for Selection
    Well well well another year behind us all done and dusted. ECE worthy winners yesterday although i bet now upset they are not looking at a second 3peat due to last years lose.

From the stand the off field behavior i cant say i enjoyed the red and white performance even if they did clean up their rubbish.

Two fathers at quarter time hurling abuse, including the bird and other hand indicators. Followed by the last quarter debacle where the ECE supporters where 3/4 past the St George supporters (similar to last year with Penno) and some ....... threw cans/bottles at the ECE crew which started a physical altercation. It appeared as though ECE supporter (in yellow jersey) was trying to diffuse the situation when set upon by St George supporter (grey jumper). It appeared to me the ECE supporter came off worse for wear too.

Finally (about 10mins to late) security arrived and then what looked like a Syd AFL rep and Lauren. All in all an unnecessary distraction during a good game of footy IMO where the better team won on the day.

Enjoy the off season, see you all next year and go the Giants.

If the actions of the ECE supporters, in walking in front of St George Hill area (most of whom had been drinking for about 5 yours) ... and taunting them well before the final hooter , and trying to grab their flag, was not designed to insight a response, it simply proves that they are allowing too much inbreeding out Baulko way.

The fact that most of them @@@@ themselves and kept walking when they did get a response, showed that they were also cowards.

A real shame that those idiots were able to detract from a great day.

Both teams turned up and put on a great show, and the best team all year needed to produce their best, and elite level conversion enabled them to prevail.

Congratulations to the players and the coaches of both sides, and the majority of the supporters.

Another step forward for the Dragons, and with success across all grades this year, the Club Champions have plenty to look forward to.

Almost Football Legend
    The RWO Wrap of Grand Final Day is now online.

Thank you to everyone who's read this column this season. And thank you to everyone who's played a role in making an eventful and enjoyable season happen.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    The RWO Wrap of Grand Final Day is now online.

Thank you to everyone who's read this column this season. And thank you to everyone who's played a role in making an eventful and enjoyable season happen.
    Boo re: the result. Terrible crowd behaviour all round. The competition is not reaching the heights it should unfortunately overall. Thanks Norris for your work all year and others for their insight and commentary, cheers.

Yes, great work again Norris. Thanks for keeping the news coming and for running our tipping comp.
    Best wishes for your cheerleading activities next week and, maybe, even the week after. Then, enjoy your summer.

Best wishes to all on this forum - it's been fun, hasn't it ?

Another Sydney AFL Grand Final, and another crowd incident.

It's all so predictable, and they all have one common ingredient - Alcohol. Maybe the SFL and the clubs need to have a serious look at themselves and the environment they want to create for Sydney football. My understanding is that the VAFA operate on a alcohol free zone inside the ground and I personally think the AFL in Sydney should consider making all Sydney AFL grounds alcohol free as well.

Any mention anywhere of EC playing 3 1/2 minutes of the final quarter with 19 on the field? ... a few people mentioned it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Another Sydney AFL Grand Final, and another crowd incident.

It's all so predictable, and they all have one common ingredient - Alcohol. Maybe the SFL and the clubs need to have a serious look at themselves and the environment they want to create for Sydney football. My understanding is that the VAFA operate on a alcohol free zone inside the ground and I personally think the AFL in Sydney should consider making all Sydney AFL grounds alcohol free as well.
    I agree. This season has been very disappointing in respect to the amount of bad behaviour I have witnessed on the field and off the field in a number of grades. Constant umpiring abuse, player abuse, fighting, cheap shots etc. No point naming names or clubs etc. However most rational youth don't want to be a part of this culture, and choose to go do something else. The games should be alcohol free, but where would the clubs make their money.

In my view the leadership of the clubs have the power to dictate the sort of behaviour they will tolerate from spectators, players and officials. However often the leadership are the worst offenders. It is not up to the AFL to manage the clubs.

At the end of the day a footy club is providing a community service to develop young men and women. It should take that responsibility seriously and establish what it means to be a tough, hard but fair player or spectator.

I don't think it was that bad other than this isolated incident, if you compare it to other codes.

Even this incident would probably pass without mention at a park rugby league or soccer match.
    Last edited by unconfuseme; 19th September 2016 at 05:50 PM.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Any mention anywhere of EC playing 3 1/2 minutes of the final quarter with 19 on the field? ... a few people mentioned it at the time.
    I didn't notice. If the St George captain had, then we'd really have had a momentous Grand Final.
    I've seen scores wiped in a player count. But if a premiership had been decided that way, the @@@@ would have really hit the fan.....

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I agree. This season has been very disappointing in respect to the amount of bad behaviour I have witnessed on the field and off the field in a number of grades. Constant umpiring abuse, player abuse, fighting, cheap shots etc. No point naming names or clubs etc. However most rational youth don't want to be a part of this culture, and choose to go do something else. The games should be alcohol free, but where would the clubs make their money.

In my view the leadership of the clubs have the power to dictate the sort of behaviour they will tolerate from spectators, players and officials. However often the leadership are the worst offenders. It is not up to the AFL to manage the clubs.

At the end of the day a footy club is providing a community service to develop young men and women. It should take that responsibility seriously and establish what it means to be a tough, hard but fair player or spectator.
    +1

I was at the Under 19s and it was a decent game but I felt it was played in a petty spirit. Just kids apeing what they see on TV and trying to be the big tough guys and mainly I must say from the North Shore kids who looked like a well manicured bunch of tossers. the constant sniping and melees where nobody had the guts to actually throw a punch, the dickheads the other side of the field sledging the players, the constant baiting of players like patting your opponent on the head when they missed a goal etc etc.

I know it was a grand final but it just had a bad look and ffs these were 16 or 17 year olds on the whole. Maybe I am old fashioned but I saw nothing tough about that behaviour and I think the game should be played in the right spirit.

I must admit I looked at the Code of Conduct at the front of the programme and I thought "What a joke" and clearly the behaviour got worse as the day went on.

To be honest I think this is an area where the NSWAFL needs to provide real leadership and history tells us that they are lacking in this area. There would be a immediate financial impact on the clubs but being a leader involves making tough decisions. Saying we are not as bad a rugby league where they now have paid security at junior games in some leagues is a pretty weak defence. I think that there are some public health initiatives where clubs and sporting bodies can get funding in return for promoting am alcohol free environment but I doubt if this would be taken seriously by the clubs and the NSWAFL but it should be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast