Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RWO Grand Final Day Thread - Saturday 17th September

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    +1

I was at the Under 19s and it was a decent game but I felt it was played in a petty spirit. Just kids apeing what they see on TV and trying to be the big tough guys and mainly I must say from the North Shore kids who looked like a well manicured bunch of tossers. the constant sniping and melees where nobody had the guts to actually throw a punch, the dickheads the other side of the field sledging the players, the constant baiting of players like patting your opponent on the head when they missed a goal etc etc.

I know it was a grand final but it just had a bad look and ffs these were 16 or 17 year olds on the whole. Maybe I am old fashioned but I saw nothing tough about that behaviour and I think the game should be played in the right spirit.

I must admit I looked at the Code of Conduct at the front of the programme and I thought "What a joke" and clearly the behaviour got worse as the day went on.

To be honest I think this is an area where the NSWAFL needs to provide real leadership and history tells us that they are lacking in this area. There would be a immediate financial impact on the clubs but being a leader involves making tough decisions. Saying we are not as bad a rugby league where they now have paid security at junior games in some leagues is a pretty weak defence. I think that there are some public health initiatives where clubs and sporting bodies can get funding in return for promoting am alcohol free environment but I doubt if this would be taken seriously by the clubs and the NSWAFL but it should be.
    As they say in the classics it take two to tango. There was a bit of push and shove but it was minor in the scheme of things.
    It was a tough contested game and close all day until the Bombers pushed ahead in the last quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    As they say in the classics it take two to tango. There was a bit of push and shove but it was minor in the scheme of things.
    It was a tough contested game and close all day until the Bombers pushed ahead in the last quarter.
    I know I'm being a bit petty and overall it was a good advertisement of the junior game but the baiting and poor sportsmanship was not a great look in my book. Again maybe I'm being na�ve but I still see Under 19s as essentially junior sport. Nothing to do with hardness and toughness, just kind of pathetic the hollow posturing. I know we've all become terribly PC but I'd just prefer the kids focus on being hard at the footy rather than the play acting which actually all looked pretty pathetic.

I know it is a different level but take a look at the AFL on Saturday night if you want toughness and the game was also played in a great spirit

I coach an u17s rugby legue side and the amount of stupid pushing and shoving is a joke. You try to coach it out of them but its the age group. From about u13s you start seeing it now. U19s is far from junior sport imo.

Regular in the Side
    The Laws of AFL clearly say that no player can be tackled, pushed, shepherded, etc more than 5m from the ball.
    Yet umpires at an AFL level allow grabbing of jumpers and pushing etc in a forward line when waiting for a centre bounce to occur.
    Try making sense of it. I've asked the umpires at a local level why this is permitted. No great response that I'm content with.
    So no wonder our kids do it.

I recall an u/18 Div 2 Grand Final mismatch of a few years ago, where the clear instructions to the underdog Southern Power kids was to put on the biff as soon as the game started to slip away. As soon as that happened, they were slaughtered by the SU side that should never have been allowed to play in that grade. Children do not play against the instructions of the coach, if the coach instills any respect from them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123