Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
+1

I was at the Under 19s and it was a decent game but I felt it was played in a petty spirit. Just kids apeing what they see on TV and trying to be the big tough guys and mainly I must say from the North Shore kids who looked like a well manicured bunch of tossers. the constant sniping and melees where nobody had the guts to actually throw a punch, the dickheads the other side of the field sledging the players, the constant baiting of players like patting your opponent on the head when they missed a goal etc etc.

I know it was a grand final but it just had a bad look and ffs these were 16 or 17 year olds on the whole. Maybe I am old fashioned but I saw nothing tough about that behaviour and I think the game should be played in the right spirit.

I must admit I looked at the Code of Conduct at the front of the programme and I thought "What a joke" and clearly the behaviour got worse as the day went on.

To be honest I think this is an area where the NSWAFL needs to provide real leadership and history tells us that they are lacking in this area. There would be a immediate financial impact on the clubs but being a leader involves making tough decisions. Saying we are not as bad a rugby league where they now have paid security at junior games in some leagues is a pretty weak defence. I think that there are some public health initiatives where clubs and sporting bodies can get funding in return for promoting am alcohol free environment but I doubt if this would be taken seriously by the clubs and the NSWAFL but it should be.
As they say in the classics it take two to tango. There was a bit of push and shove but it was minor in the scheme of things.
It was a tough contested game and close all day until the Bombers pushed ahead in the last quarter.