Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Hype? 2016 GRAND FINAL

Interesting to see what happens with u19 div 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Come on man, we all know you're from Camden.
    Ha! Strike one, Pekay. They'd love me down there though so I wouldn't ball after ball into the creek when slotting them from the goal square.

I'm only sharing some information that I was able to hear about after the Phelan. I had lengthy conversations with people from a couple of parties out West.

Giants, not a bad range of "predictions" and favouring there.

To be honest I hope "the race out West" goes to anyone but the Sydney AFL Magic and especially Town. Both clubs looked after by the AFL and can't see a future for either club.
    I'm interested to see who comes and goes for ECE. So our boys aren't playing a NEAFL team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Interesting to see what happens with u19 div 2.
    What are your thoughts re 19/2's

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    What are your thoughts re 19/2's
    Great for us, allowed 30 odd kids to play footy for the club when they might have given it up all together. Also gets the u17s in to have a couple of games and see what the clubs all about. Pretty sure we fielded 18 every game and 20+ most weeks. Wynny would know better than I do though.

That said, 6 teams (2 of which are reserves), 1 is a merger and 1 went the whole season winless. Team who won the gf by 9 goals had to forfeit twice in the 15 game season.

Rumour floating round that north shore might not field a second team next year which would mean a 5 team comp. Its good social footy and none of them (sides, there's a lot of handy players) would be able to compete in 19/1's so it serves its purpose, just whether or not they get enough teams next year.

Nth Shore will be fielding a 2nd team next year for the the exact same reasons you outlined in your post. They already have the numbers lined up.
    The team that won the gf forfeited twice because they didn't have the numbers all year, they won the gf because they pulled players from the senior grades who weren't playing finals.

Senior Player
    Nth Shore will be fielding a 2nd team next year for the the exact same reasons you outlined in your post. They already have the numbers lined up.
    The team that won the gf forfeited twice because they didn't have the numbers all year, they won the gf because they pulled players from the senior grades who weren't playing finals.
    I beg your pardon?

We forfeit twice last season not this. 11 of our team were under 19's with the majority of those first year under 19's. The other 11 were under 17's with an even mix of first and second year. 3 of those who were under 17's had never played AFL prior to this year, all three are very talented league players who from my conversations will make AFL their focus next season.

I took over coaching our under 19's 2 years ago because work commitments continue to grow and being both President and senior coach was not viable. The other reason was we were always going to struggle to have the numbers to field a team and asking someone to coach a team on a hiding is not something I would do. I also knew it was imperative that we fielded a team for 15 and 16 to ensure the work we have done would pay dividends. We were approached this season by two clubs seeking a merger with Wests being the first. The other club to approached us did so after an agreement with Wests was made in principle. With people like Steamboat and the Lemmes at Wests we were comfortable in our decision. I made it clear at the time it was for one season only - should the agreement continue beyond this year I cannot say as I will have no involvement at a decision making level or coaching level moving forward. One thing I do know is that in 2017 we have a squad of over 30 (as a South West Sydney standalone) with the vast majority first year under 19's and a strong pathway for a number of years beyond that in place.

Finally to say we wont the grand final because we pulled players from our senior grades is absolute rubbish. The only player given an exemption was Michael Lemme (first yr 19) who had injury issues all year and had played less than 3 full games all year across all grades.

North Shore given a forfeit by Manly in the final round were and did to some degree stack their team against us. The simple fact is that a misfit team who trained twice as a full group all season and with the vast majority of the team much younger than their opponents stayed more disciplined, attacked the contest far harder and simply wanted it more than the opposition throughout the finals series won the game.

As a coach I couldnt be prouder of the boys efforts all year especially the fact they had only two wins after the first seven games. If would have been far easier to listen to the parents who said we were wasting our time but they didnt and got a little better each week winning 10 of the last 11 games.

As the outgoing president I am content that as a club we have fostered very strong relationships with the juniors in our region and that next year with will be the tenth season since re-establishing the under 18/19's and one where for the first time our numbers will be very very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I beg your pardon?

We forfeit twice last season not this. 11 of our team were under 19's with the majority of those first year under 19's. The other 11 were under 17's with an even mix of first and second year. 3 of those who were under 17's had never played AFL prior to this year, all three are very talented league players who from my conversations will make AFL their focus next season.

I took over coaching our under 19's 2 years ago because work commitments continue to grow and being both President and senior coach was not viable. The other reason was we were always going to struggle to have the numbers to field a team and asking someone to coach a team on a hiding is not something I would do. I also knew it was imperative that we fielded a team for 15 and 16 to ensure the work we have done would pay dividends. We were approached this season by two clubs seeking a merger with Wests being the first. The other club to approached us did so after an agreement with Wests was made in principle. With people like Steamboat and the Lemmes at Wests we were comfortable in our decision. I made it clear at the time it was for one season only - should the agreement continue beyond this year I cannot say as I will have no involvement at a decision making level or coaching level moving forward. One thing I do know is that in 2017 we have a squad of over 30 (as a South West Sydney standalone) with the vast majority first year under 19's and a strong pathway for a number of years beyond that in place.

Finally to say we wont the grand final because we pulled players from our senior grades is absolute rubbish. The only player given an exemption was Michael Lemme (first yr 19) who had injury issues all year and had played less than 3 full games all year across all grades.

North Shore given a forfeit by Manly in the final round were and did to some degree stack their team against us. The simple fact is that a misfit team who trained twice as a full group all season and with the vast majority of the team much younger than their opponents stayed more disciplined, attacked the contest far harder and simply wanted it more than the opposition throughout the finals series won the game.

As a coach I couldnt be prouder of the boys efforts all year especially the fact they had only two wins after the first seven games. If would have been far easier to listen to the parents who said we were wasting our time but they didnt and got a little better each week winning 10 of the last 11 games.

As the outgoing president I am content that as a club we have fostered very strong relationships with the juniors in our region and that next year with will be the tenth season since re-establishing the under 18/19's and one where for the first time our numbers will be very very healthy.
    As a member of your club Tara and a coach I know the pain and trouble you and Rick had getting the 19s on the park so thanks mate, as for the uninformed comment above he is having a giggle or has been fed information from either someone who is bitter at worst, delusional at best. It tends to rankle when you see crap like that when you know the work that has gone into just getting the team on the park a great effort from both the Magpies.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    I beg your pardon?

I apologise for my error re the two forfeits.

I don't know you but anyone who gives up their time to coach and administer any sport is deserved of praise.

I have chaceked a couple of points that you raised in your response and would just like to respond.

I spoke to the people at North and they were bemused at your suggestion that they "stacked" their team against you, I am told they had another 4 players who played Div1 and Div2 who were qualified for the Div 2 finals but didn't play them because it would have meant that 4 other kids who played Div 2 all year would have missed out.

Michael Lemme is not a first year 19, he played 13 x 19's Div 1 for Uni/Easts last year (incl the 19/1 Grand Final) as well as a game in Prems and also a couple 19/1 games in 2014. A very handy player to drop into a 19/2 team.
    The point I made was that if Wests were playing finals he would probably have not been playing 19/2's.

Senior Player
    I apologise for my error re the two forfeits.

I don't know you but anyone who gives up their time to coach and administer any sport is deserved of praise.

I have chaceked a couple of points that you raised in your response and would just like to respond.

I spoke to the people at North and they were bemused at your suggestion that they "stacked" their team against you, I am told they had another 4 players who played Div1 and Div2 who were qualified for the Div 2 finals but didn't play them because it would have meant that 4 other kids who played Div 2 all year would have missed out.

Michael Lemme is not a first year 19, he played 13 x 19's Div 1 for Uni/Easts last year (incl the 19/1 Grand Final) as well as a game in Prems and also a couple 19/1 games in 2014. A very handy player to drop into a 19/2 team.
    The point I made was that if Wests were playing finals he would probably have not been playing 19/2's.
    Its interesting that they didnt play the four who were qualified yet definately played one who wasnt qualified and had they won the final against us would have have had the result reversed. Please note I did clarify this after the game with Lauren.

So essentially I pulled one one player not "players" and this is the reason we won the GF.

Michael as stated was injured all year, and in the first final did his ankle and I was forced play out of a pocket for the majority of the other two finals.

Due to rules in place I left the kid who was runner up in our B&F out for the finals. He injured his ankle in the last round and despite being right for the GF because we were restricted to 11 under 17's. Had we not been restricted he would have played in Michaels place.

My under standing from Michael himself is he still qualifies for under 19's in 2017 hence my referral to him being first year.

So you knew the opposing team was supposedly playing an ineligible player going into the game but would only raise it if your team lost.
    Clever.

Senior Player
    So you knew the opposing team was supposedly playing an ineligible player going into the game but would only raise it if your team lost.
    Clever.
    Actually no we didnt. The North shore team sheet changed 5 times from Friday night until the morning of the game. I tend to have spread sheets which detail opposition players, times in best, goals kicked, games at a higher level etc so that I have an understanding of my opponents each week. If you knew me you would know Im a little bit obsessive when it comes to statistics and numbers(just as well I work in finance). The team sheet we were handed about 15 minutes prior to the game hand yet more changes since the last one I saw online at 7am. A parent bought it to our attention after the game. Whilst having a beer about an hour later I asked Lauren is a kid hand played 11 div one games were they ineligible? Earlier in the season we lost to a team who played more than the allowed number of under 17's - we chose not to protest the result - I did speak to their president though afterwards and let him know if they did it again we would the next time.

All anyone expects is a level playing field, teams that have 2 19's are able to manipulate results if they want. The league should be the ones policing their own policys but clubs have a responsibility to be fully conversant of the rules as well. The rules around games this year increased from 9 to 10 and each club was made well aware of this. As it was you had 3 players who would have been ineligible without the late rule change including a kid who was BOG in your Div 1 premiership team.

Not my Div 1 premiership team, I just know some guys at the club.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast