Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Where is the Hype? 2016 GRAND FINAL

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    All anyone expects is a level playing field, teams that have 2 19's are able to manipulate results if they want. The league should be the ones policing their own policys but clubs have a responsibility to be fully conversant of the rules as well. The rules around games this year increased from 9 to 10 and each club was made well aware of this. As it was you had 3 players who would have been ineligible without the late rule change including a kid who was BOG in your Div 1 premiership team.
    It's a minefield going through the rules. I reckon I looked at them every week for the last 8 rounds or so trying to work out which players I needed to get qualified for finals. Throw in the rules around bye rounds, wet weather catch up games, different rules for u19s and then again with 2 u19s sides.

Would help if they made it clearer. I've never seen any rules so complicated but then again I come from a league background.

Almost Football Legend
    When both teams in the Under 19s Div 1 Grand Final had a result reversed during the year, there's clearly plenty of people who don't know the rules but should. I don't know what the answer is, and I'm not enough of a programmer to know how do-able this is; but possibly the FoxSportsPulse system could be modified so it's impossible to enter ineligible players onto the team sheet. It warns for duplicate numbers, maybe it could warn for inegligibility as well.
    Mind you, that can create issues. I've tried entering goals & bests after a game and been unable to find a player who's been manually written on the team sheet in the drop-down menu for team selections - so if that player kicked goals or was one of their best 6, can't be entered.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Regular in the Side
    The rules can be a minefield.
    Say you have a div4 team who is playing a round3 washed out round between rounds 12 and 13.
    On the morning of the game you find out that your div3 team playing a round6 washed out game at a different venue is washed out.
    So according to the rules any player who played in div 3 the week before(which is round 11 in div3 not round12) is ineligible. Also any player who played in div3 during the weekend of div4's round3 is ineligible...which is div3s round 2.
    But you then discover div3 had a bye that weekend so anyone who played div3 the week before in div3s round1 is ineligible.
    But 2 players could drop back div3 round1 then and another 2 from div3 round11....or is it only 2 in total from both rounds? But there might have been a div2 player coming back from injury...so you have to check what div2 has been doing all these weeks as well....they had not was out game this week.
    Toss into the mix that players might have played 2 games on these weekends and only the higher game counts for eligibility and maybe a player suspended back in week 3 was available to play this week. Can you play him or not?
    So even though you picked your team on Thursday night suddenly now with 4 hours to play you have to ring every man and his dog to check who is not ineligible and eligible and who is available from the div2 game which is now washed out or u/19s that can back up just to get 18 players on the field because a forfeit anyway was on the cards.
    Confusing. Ken Oath.
    If you think I've dreamt this up....I haven't. I probably have embellished a little but 90% of this did happen.
    So I can only imagine the hell and the countless scenarios clubs have to face at times. Honest mistakes can happen very easily. The eligibility rules need an urgent over haul as they have been slowly expanded over years and become complex beyond reason.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    It's a minefield going through the rules. I reckon I looked at them every week for the last 8 rounds or so trying to work out which players I needed to get qualified for finals. Throw in the rules around bye rounds, wet weather catch up games, different rules for u19s and then again with 2 u19s sides.

Would help if they made it clearer. I've never seen any rules so complicated but then again I come from a league background.
    The AFL NSW ACT bylaws have it all covered..

If you play more games in a higher grade then you are regarded as a higher grade player and not eligible for lower grade finals.

Nothing else is needed.

Rule no 2
    Refer to rule no 1

For some reason previous adminstrators weakened to satisfy a couple of the largest clubs to keep there lower grades happy.

While we are at it, UTS fourth grade has now won three flags in a row
    2014. DIv 4
    2015. Div 5
    2016 Div 4,
    Some say all are soft. At two are I think.

They have to be in Div 3 next year surely.
    Which means Div 2 would need to be 12 teams as Tom Wills has suggested and UTS third grade remain there.

The structure does need a tweak as does finals eligibility .
    The pecking order for higher grades should be

Neafl
    PD
    D1
    U19D1
    D2
    It seems this changed this year .
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    When both teams in the Under 19s Div 1 Grand Final had a result reversed during the year, there's clearly plenty of people who don't know the rules but should. I don't know what the answer is, and I'm not enough of a programmer to know how do-able this is; but possibly the FoxSportsPulse system could be modified so it's impossible to enter ineligible players onto the team sheet. It warns for duplicate numbers, maybe it could warn for inegligibility as well.
    Mind you, that can create issues. I've tried entering goals & bests after a game and been unable to find a player who's been manually written on the team sheet in the drop-down menu for team selections - so if that player kicked goals or was one of their best 6, can't be entered.
    For memory, it works that way with suspended players, they either get flagged when you add them or are 'greyed out' so you can't select them.

Almost Football Legend
    Maybe the Sydney AFL by-laws are too complex for FoxSportsPulse to work around, I don't know - but something like that would be a good feature for future seasons if that could happen to anyone ineligible for selection. Would be useful at times like Premier Division bye weekends, wet weather catch-up rounds, lower grade finals etc.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    The AFL NSW ACT bylaws have it all covered..

If you play more games in a higher grade then you are regarded as a higher grade player and not eligible for lower grade finals.

Nothing else is needed.

Rule no 2
    Refer to rule no 1

For some reason previous adminstrators weakened to satisfy a couple of the largest clubs to keep there lower grades happy.

While we are at it, UTS fourth grade has now won three flags in a row
    2014. DIv 4
    2015. Div 5
    2016 Div 4,
    Some say all are soft. At two are I think.

They have to be in Div 3 next year surely.
    Which means Div 2 would need to be 12 teams as Tom Wills has suggested and UTS third grade remain there.

The structure does need a tweak as does finals eligibility .
    The pecking order for higher grades should be

Neafl
    PD
    D1
    U19D1
    D2
    It seems this changed this year .
    Unless both teams play finals the same weekend then you can play in the lower grade if not selected in the higher grade

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234