Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Hype? 2016 GRAND FINAL

Warming the Bench

Where is the Hype? 2016 GRAND FINAL

I understand there has been a new turn of management at the top for the Sydney afl in the last couple of years but is this the least hyped Grand final in years gone by? Just went on the Sydney afl website and there is nothing on this weekends grand finals and it is already Thursday? the Phelan summary was terrible no research done into anything I think in the DIV 1 summary they said a player was from Manly and they aren't even in that comp!

Years gone by every grand final was streamed is this weekends grand finals even steamed?? very disappointing the lower grades were not.....Matt Graham set the bar so high its disappointing just how bad it is...im sure it will be a great day but give the neutral supporters something ??? this year has been terrible

I reckon Garry needs credit as well. Black Diamond's gain was Sydney's loss. They have plenty of coverage on their website..

Garry, if you are reading this, I did enjoy your commentary of the womens sprint a few weeks back!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    I reckon Garry needs credit as well. Black Diamond's gain was Sydney's loss. They have plenty of coverage on their website..

Garry, if you are reading this, I did enjoy your commentary of the womens sprint a few weeks back!
    I agree Gary set the bar and mg met it ..... Just sad because it used to be so good now it's just a few events and barely anything that is factual I see they have made a couple of things since my first post but what even happened to the footy record ? Match of the round was so much better as well

I grew up reading KayTee's stats in the record. Now that was a high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    I grew up reading KayTee's stats in the record. Now that was a high bar.
    They were good days PK - I also enjoyed the radio programmes with Simon Kelly and Michael Byrne, and Helen Meyer.

Should we be glad that the AFL took over our folkesy little comp in the late 1990s or whenever ? We lost a lot of enthusiastic people after that and I think I can say they were disenchanted.

Agree that the coverage now is pretty average - it took a couple of days to even get an announcement of the Phelan winner ! And nothing about the upcoming grand final which is surely the major event in the AFL Sydney calendar.

What HAS belatedly been updated is the tribunal Sheet of Shame for the year - clarifies a couple of things that we were wondering about, a couple of weeks ago under the light tower at BISP.

Agreed sometimes the comms aren't fantastic but it just seems to be two or three people are responsible for running the whole show (which consists of ten competitions). I know Chris the Ops Coordinator (or whatever his title is) basically works 10 hour days 7 days a week for six months, and Lauren is probably not too dissimilar. It was their first year in the role as well so I'm sure things will be smoother next season. Obviously Norris does a huge chunk of work during the year with his weekly reviews but I don't reckon there's much else happening in the way of volunteers providing content for the Record or website. I'm sure that if someone wanted to start a podcast or radio show there would be nothing stopping them!

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    They were good days PK - I also enjoyed the radio programmes with Simon Kelly and Michael Byrne, and Helen Meyer.

Should we be glad that the AFL took over our folkesy little comp in the late 1990s or whenever ? We lost a lot of enthusiastic people after that and I think I can say they were disenchanted.

Agree that the coverage now is pretty average - it took a couple of days to even get an announcement of the Phelan winner ! And nothing about the upcoming grand final which is surely the major event in the AFL Sydney calendar.

What HAS belatedly been updated is the tribunal Sheet of Shame for the year - clarifies a couple of things that we were wondering about, a couple of weeks ago under the light tower at BISP.

Almost Football Legend
    There'll be a Premier Division preview going up later today.

But between doing the reviews here, club stuff and gallivanting around the country on my GWS gig, I'm often not getting the weekly reviews up until fairly late on Monday. So Sydney AFL getting those reviews up later isn't entirely their fault.
    Last edited by Norris Lurker; 16th September 2016 at 09:31 AM.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post

But between doing the reviews here, club stuff and gallivanting around the country on my GWS gig, I'm often not getting the weekly reviews up until fairly late on Monday. So Sydney AFL getting those reviews up later isn't entirely their fault.
    Come on Norris....fess up.....you're still trying to come back to earth after Sunday at BISP aren't you ?
    After the Giants win the flag in three weeks, you will have plenty of time to bring us daily updates over the long and barren summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Good report Norris...we expect no less.
    You have placed one leg in either side of the barbed wire fence and I hope it brings you no pain.

Here's hoping for a close and entertaining contest.

Warming the Bench
    Well done Norris for putting your hand up to do it.......

As for Sydney AFL, it is now Tuesday and the debrief of the game is not on the website, the game wasn't streamed and still is not available to watch.......very disappointing for a grand final to say the least probably the worst in memory for the website and coverage hopefully next year they can find more time to do what they have done in the past to promote the local competition because this year was dismal

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post

Who was this?

Guessing it was the Parra coach.

It has been a shambles though. I asked about a player who was given a week for striking when he was actually red-carded for umpire abuse. The reporting umpire on the website did not even officiate at that game. He obviously copped with week with glee, enabling him to play in a premiership winning GF. My reply when I questioned it was the standard ICAC reply "I don't recall"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast