Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Preliminary Final: Swans vs. Cats

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Hi Folks.

Just joined and this is my first post. Been a Rugby League Fan all my life, but started supporting the Swans in 1996, and been a member since the Swans started playing at ANZ, seen about 85% of their games there. ANZ is far easier to get to with better public transport from my area (Bangor). Have a reasonable knowledge of the game but don't claim to be a guru by any means.

Just want to get people's thoughts on potential replacements this week.

Looks like we are bringing back Tippett this week. To me Nankervis and Naismith both deserve their spots and if Rowan is out, I am wondering what the forum thinks of bringing Tippett back mainly to play in the forward line with occasional ruck duties in the forward 50. Do we think he is a tad slow to play up front and thus better suited to the ruck? I think by putting him up front he might take one or two of the best defenders away from Franklin and Richards and thus free them up a little bit. Looks like Heeney is going to play more in the midfield. Looks like number of options for McVeigh.
    Thoughts.
    Welcome aboard. In regards to your questions, personally I wouldn't play three ruckmen if Rohan was ruled out. Mainly because on the wide open spaces of the MCG, we need plenty of pace, in order to apply forward pressure. While a few people have mentioned Towers as a possible replacement for Rohan, my preference is Rose. Even though he is slightly slower than Towers, he does apply more tackles and he does go in harder. He is also less susceptible to rabbit in headlights moments.
    Since Nankervis played well, I'd probably only play Tippett if he was at the least, 95% fit.
    And a quick aside on Heeney, I suspect that him playing more midfield, means that Papley and McGlynn are now combining better up forward?

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Hi Folks.

Just joined and this is my first post. Been a Rugby League Fan all my life, but started supporting the Swans in 1996, and been a member since the Swans started playing at ANZ, seen about 85% of their games there. ANZ is far easier to get to with better public transport from my area .
    Good post, but that's dangerous talk 'round here.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Good post, but that's dangerous talk 'round here.
    Thankfully not anymore.

History shows playin unfit players in finals results in weaving baskets down punt rd in September Richards looks real good and could show up buddy in the next 2 games in 2016 towers in and harry in Nankervis and Naismith nailed it no change and lets see white shorts for lower ranked teams in finals more tradition leaking away

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by round 22 1977 View Post
    History shows playin unfit players in finals results in weaving baskets down punt rd in September Richards looks real good and could show up buddy in the next 2 games in 2016 towers in and harry in Nankervis and Naismith nailed it no change and lets see white shorts for lower ranked teams in finals more tradition leaking away
    Woah that was hard to read. Some punctuation marks would help!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Haha was thinking the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by round 22 1977 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    and hit the return key every now and then.
    Welcome aboard by the way :-)
    I would also like the two N's to remain our rucks. Harry and Dean in wouldn't be the worst ins either. Tippo seems to be too fragile ATM to risk in finals.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I would also like the two N's to remain our rucks. Harry and Dean in wouldn't be the worst ins either. Tippo seems to be too fragile ATM to risk in finals.
    Seems like Tippet is the million dollar man (almost with $900K salary) with a glass jaw. Maybe play him in a padded helmet like Teddy wore, and Griffiths? from the Tigers and play him mostly forward as he is a good at leading and taking contesting marks.

On the contrary
    Tippo signed big first two years so that no one else challenged when we wanted to bring him to Sydney.... then the next two years only on $450-500k pa max

Perfect sal cap management

Tippo can give us more then nanko up front and is worth a shot vs Geelong if we want more goals and to work over their ruckman

Nanko is more then competent nonetheless

Veterans List
    If Tippett says he's right to go then it's a no brainer IN for Nankervis.

Tippett's injury is not like a leg injury that could stop his mobility, that's the kind of injury you don't risk in a final. Let's not forget he played out the GWS game, he was just in discomfort. Tippett is a superior ruckman to Nankervis and poses a much bigger FF threat, I think he'll play mainly FF which gives the Cats more headaches than Nankervis who doesn't seem to take many marks.

Mills will be given another week then replace Marsh at HB for the GF rematch against the AFL Allstars.

Personally, I'm happy enough with the way things have panned out. The Richmond game was no more than a training run - hardly great prep for finals intensity, and the Giants game was probably what we needed (injuries aside) for a reality check.

We also never seem to fire after a bye, so good to have a week off then and not now IMO. Looks like the Cats are also going in a favorites too, which I'm happy enough with. Hopefully they will still be in holiday mode ;-)
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Long Term Injury List
    Finally the ticket gods have smiled on me! I called the special needs line, the phone was answered by a person and I had tickets and companion ticket for my son all done by 9.11am. I am waiting to see the tickets in my email account just to make sure I'm not in some bad dream!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast