Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: That's it. I'm giving up Australian Football.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Yep, I think (almost) everyone here agrees we were robbed of a flag today. Sure we didn't play the best we could have, but we weren't allowed to play well. Our momentum was stunted from the opening bounce to the final siren. Neill Cordy's article from the Sun summaries the situation today perfectly.
    I agree that the umpiring could have been better. We also had some bad luck with injuries; Franklin sprained his ankle in the first quarter and Hannebery strained his knee in the third. Had these players remained fit throughout the game, the result may have been different.

But I think you're not giving enough credit to the Dogs here. The Dogs played well and earned their win.

I just wish we could break our drought. It's now six times in a row that we have finished on top of the ladder and not finished the job in the Grand Final: 1935, 1936, 1945, 1996, 2014 and now 2016. Minor premiers and runners up in these six years.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    I agree that the umpiring could have been better. We also had some bad luck with injuries; Franklin sprained his ankle in the first quarter and Hannebery strained his knee in the third. Had these players remained fit throughout the game, the result may have been different.

But I think you're not giving enough credit to the Dogs here. The Dogs played well and earned their win.

I just wish we could break our drought. It's now six times in a row that we have finished on top of the ladder and not finished the job in the Grand Final: 1935, 1936, 1945, 1996, 2014 and now 2016. Minor premiers and runners up in these six years.
    Well said. I am glad for the Dogs, and happy it wasn't another Hawthorn premiership.

Regular in the Side
    The integrity of the AFL suffered a serious blow today. These three men are suppose to the best three field umpires in the entire country. Yet they led the Bulldogs stay afloat until they were able to move forward in the final ten minutes.

I do however pose an interesting 'what if'. What if the umpiring had been fair and competent, we could have been 4 goals ahead with 10 minutes to go, AND they could have won by a whisker a la this season's Round 15 SCG game.

Perhaps even more devastating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Senior Player
    We were on the wrong end of some bad calls , but the injuries to Franklin and Hannebery were probably a bigger issue.
    And we were not quick enough.And we did not execute well enough.
    We can complain about umpiring and bad luck , but the truth is , we did not play well enough to win.

Goes up to 11
    Lol at this 'I'm a sore loser' thread. At least some of the most recent posts are more balanced.
    Congrats to the Dogs and congrats to my Swans for another fabulous year.
    ????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    We were on the wrong end of some bad calls , but the injuries to Franklin and Hannebery were probably a bigger issue.
    We can complain about umpiring and bad luck , but the truth is , we did not play well enough to win.
    +1.

There were too many times when there seemed to be more Dogs at the ball than Swans, but I'm sure that's an appearance generated out of their working hard. There were some players for the Swans who didn't have good games and it had nothing to do with the umpiring. I was in the Ponsford stand, too high to catch all the details of the umpiring; that said, I don't believe the umpiring was crucial. I do believe Luke Beveridge and his boys deserve much credit for today's effort. I also reckon that, given the number of youngsters we brought into this team this year, Horse and our boys also deserve a lot of credit for a terrific season. I'll not be abandoning a great club, despite a day that has disappointed us all. Life goes on.

I look forward to the first Sudanese premiership player hanging a medal around his neck at the end of next season!

Go Bloods!!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Lol at this 'I'm a sore loser' thread. At least some of the most recent posts are more balanced.
    Congrats to the Dogs and congrats to my Swans for another fabulous year.
    ????????????
    Wow, what are you on?
    Last edited by stevoswan; 1st October 2016 at 09:15 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    And how did the injury to Hannebery occur? Because his legs were blatantly taken out

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Wow, what are you on?
    Disappointment.

Anyone denying @@@@ umpiring has their head in the sand

But in saying that despite being against 25 men we had it still up for grabs in the last quarter

It (the umpiring) has been consistently against us this year despite us being a pretty clean team. I'd hope that we could quietly pursue a clarification of things generally through the correct channels through the off-season. The players work so hard and are not dirty yet seem to be at the wrong end of the counts. I think most of the calls the Dogs got were there today it's more the non-calls we didn't get that were the problem.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Disappointment.
    We're all disappointed, just not all of us are deluded.......while I also thank the players for another fine season, I feel for them because they were roundly screwed today, and we Swans fans and our club were roundly screwed.....again, and that makes me angry. I am a pissed off supporter of a proud honest team and club, not a sore loser! You might want to get off the happy pills.....or, wait a minute, maybe I need some! No, I prefer clarity and I feel crystal clear about this.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast