Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 2017

I think the problem in the GF is that he didn't cop a knock early on. He seems to play best when he is limping a bit. The opposition have worked him out and left him alone

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Not sure Mcs. He kicked 5 great goals against the Hawks in a dominant display. Had a good prelim final again. Crap gf again.

Even a lock down role on Johannison would have been handy.
    He has his moments - but I still don't think he is anywhere near fulfilling the promise we had hoped when we selected him as a first round draft pick. He has his moments - but can go completely missing in big games as well. You can't afford passengers on the biggest day, as we again found out yesterday
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm a big fan of Gary Rohan, but I don't think you can use his broken leg as an excuse for going MIA at times. He can still run like the wind, take big marks and kick great goals. We all know what he can do, just doesn't do enough of if, and I certainly can't figure out why.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    I'm a big fan of Gary Rohan, but I don't think you can use his broken leg as an excuse for going MIA at times. He can still run like the wind, take big marks and kick great goals. We all know what he can do, just doesn't do enough of if, and I certainly can't figure out why.
    It's hard for we spectators to know, but the obvious pain he was in against the Crows after than knock to the knee shows that his mended leg is susceptible to pain in a way a normal leg probably isn't. I have no idea whether he got a knock yesterday that inhibited him, but I suspect he plays under constant duress that most other players don't.

The good players stand up in big games.

Gary and Kurt were both very very poor yesterday and in 2014. Yes they weren't alone but their lack of contribution in a forward line that only contributed 2 goals was incredibly telling.

In terms of what yesterday means for 2017 I'll make the following suggestions

* Ben McGlynn should not be offered a contract for 2017
    * A fit and motivated Sam Reid is an absolute must for a successful 2017, Xavier was found out massively yesterday and whilst his development has been pleasing I'm still of the opinion he may end up in our backline, possibly next year
    * McVeigh should not be captain in 2017

Overall the development of new players this season has been an absolute highlight for me but a few got found out yesterday. I have been nervous about Hewett being good enough to be in a premiership team all season and for mine he was very poor yesterday so he needs another big pre-season for mine as I just don't think he does enough. Mills I think we can excuse and Heeney had a good finals series so you'd hope they'll come back burning next year. Papley is a player I worry about getting found out next year so he needs to really crack on as well.

As for next year I fully expect Aliir to become an elite defender in the comp. O'Riordan and Newman I expect to play a lot of senior footy, possibly along with Foote and Dawson.

Our trade period will be interesting. We traditionally bring one experienced player in so I wonder if we'll do that this year. I'd personally like to see us keep our powder dry and bank a future pick for Mitchell and keep faith with the guys from this year and maybe also keep some cap space free as well but time will tell on that one

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It's hard for we spectators to know, but the obvious pain he was in against the Crows after than knock to the knee shows that his mended leg is susceptible to pain in a way a normal leg probably isn't. I have no idea whether he got a knock yesterday that inhibited him, but I suspect he plays under constant duress that most other players don't.
    It's difficult to eliminate the pain of a fractured leg completely. As time passes it subsides and there are usually/often pain free periods, however, pain still occurs & not necessarily consistently (either for the individual or comparing different individuals). There are also a near infinite number of variables that contribute to their pain frequency and severity. I am astounded that Gary has actually come back to play some good footy (at times) but I can fully appreciate that he is not his pre-injury self ... and may never will be. A fractured leg can have a lifelong impact.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Not sure Mcs. He kicked 5 great goals against the Hawks in a dominant display. Had a good prelim final again. Crap gf again.

Even a lock down role on Johannison would have been handy.
    Occurred to me too - wonder why they didn't do something about this?

Also showed up what I thought was one of our greatest weaknesses (and was once a real strength), the run off the half back line. JJ and Boyd smashed us but we saw little to no run from our HBFs. Something to be addressed next year, but it's looking like the Tippett, Talia and Sinclair contracts are going to be real millstones around our recruiting necks - we'll struggle to bring anyone in this trade period.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Burra View Post
    It was interesting that Gary said in interviews a couple of times during the year that he was 'gaining more confidence in his body' which suggests to me that his recovery on various levels is still a work in progress. As has been pointed out, he has played a couple of great games recently and what Goswannies says reveals that we need to appreciate the good games and cut him some slack when he doesn't meet our expectations even if it is a GF.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Occurred to me too - wonder why they didn't do something about this?

Also showed up what I thought was one of our greatest weaknesses (and was once a real strength), the run off the half back line. JJ and Boyd smashed us but we saw little to no run from our HBFs. Something to be addressed next year, but it's looking like the Tippett, Talia and Sinclair contracts are going to be real millstones around our recruiting necks - we'll struggle to bring anyone in this trade period.
    Its going to be interesting to see what we do next year in terms of structures in the backline, in particular in trying to generate more of that run off the Half Back line. Our young Irishman could be an answer to that puzzle in time - but I'm not as convinced as others that he will be quite ready to play AFL in 2017. We really need a new Reece Shaw style player that can break the line with sheer pace. Maybe things will improve with another pre-season into Aliir and Jones (with the point there being a pre-season in which they know they are highly likely to be part of the first 22 next season), who in their own way can help in that space. It would not surprise me if we seek to trade someone in as well if we can get a player at a reasonable price - the rumoured interest in Tuohy would make some sense in that regard.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its going to be interesting to see what we do next year in terms of structures in the backline, in particular in trying to generate more of that run off the Half Back line. Our young Irishman could be an answer to that puzzle in time - but I'm not as convinced as others that he will be quite ready to play AFL in 2017. We really need a new Reece Shaw style player that can break the line with sheer pace. Maybe things will improve with another pre-season into Aliir and Jones (with the point there being a pre-season in which they know they are highly likely to be part of the first 22 next season), who in their own way can help in that space. It would not surprise me if we seek to trade someone in as well if we can get a player at a reasonable price - the rumoured interest in Tuohy would make some sense in that regard.
    I could well see an IN off the half back flank, especially as we'll need to throw Mills into the mids.

I think Jones is very good off the flank and will be even better next year so he just needs someone else there. Newman and Colin will be challenging but I suspect it will be an area to be addressed.

Senior Player
    Nothing like a(nother) grand final loss to shake some realism into a person.

Joey should be captain. I like Kieren, but he's presided over two grand final losses. McVeigh has been a great and very important player, but is no longer either. He will probably play on, but probably shouldn't and I cannot see him affecting finals games. Joey has been our on-field leader in big games for some time. He's about to win his 4th Paul Roos Award in his 7th year at the club. He is not quite the media performer of the current two, but he spoke best both before and after yesterday's game and was clearly best in it.

Benny is done.

I can't see Laidler playing much of a role next year. He signed a two year contract extension this year, but that's looking rash. Although only 27, he's a couple of steps too slow and not getting any faster. Aliir, (hopefully) AJ and who knows, maybe even Talia will be ahead of him next year. Aside from that, he back-line actually looks really good. Grundy, Rampe and Nick Smith clearly premiership quality.

I am not sure Xav will make it. Underwhelming in each final. Doesn't seem confident/believe. Doesn't seem to really *want* it. He'll be back-up to Reid next year, but need to become harder.

I think I must be missing something with George Hewett. Ghosts in and out of games. His best contributions are winning free-kicks in our forward 50 and then hitting the set shot. But rarely wins the ball in a contested situation around the ground. I am not convinced.

Mills, Heeney and Jones are very important players. Hopefully this stings and they want it more next time. Heeney had a great finals series. Mills' GF was a little like some of his games earlier in the season - a little mistake prone. With Newman coming in at halfback this year, hopefully Zak moves into the midfield, where he was dynamic against Geelong.

I thought Naismith had a great first half to the GF, and promises a lot. Lloyd should be most improved. Papley will be better for the experience.

Towers and Hiscox should be delisted. Neither are premiership players, clearly. I can't see any way in for Brandon Jack, given he is reportedly making the same disposal decision-making errors in reserves games.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I think O'Riordan will get another year on the rookie list and will more of a factor in 2018. But for next year we will have Nic Newman, who is just the player we are looking for in back 6. He's a precise kick of the ball, has good pace and tackles well. I have often compared him to Malceski. I think our starting back 6 next year will be Grundy, Aliir, Talia, Smith, Rampe and Newman, with Jones and Mills dropping back to help out.

For those questioning where Hewett is heading, remember that he is still only 20 yo and has done around as well as Jake Lloyd did in his first year. George's contribution his year has been around the same as Rohan's, but he goes about it more quietly. Many questioned Jake's worth to the team as well. Now after 3 years few would question his importance to the team. He's improved every year continuing to take on more responsibility as his experience grows. I expect that will happen with Hewett. He's an elite kick both for goal and around the ground, is dual sided and a good decision maker. Revisit this post next year. I'm sure the doubters be be on board.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast