Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think O'Riordan will get another year on the rookie list and will more of a factor in 2018. But for next year we will have Nic Newman, who is just the player we are looking for in back 6. He's a precise kick of the ball, has good pace and tackles well. I have often compared him to Malceski. I think our starting back 6 next year will be Grundy, Aliir, Talia, Smith, Rampe and Newman, with Jones and Mills dropping back to help out.

For those questioning where Hewett is heading, remember that he is still only 20 yo and has done around as well as Jake Lloyd did in his first year. George's contribution his year has been around the same as Rohan's, but he goes about it more quietly. Many questioned Jake's worth to the team as well. Now after 3 years few would question his importance to the team. He's improved every year continuing to take on more responsibility as his experience grows. I expect that will happen with Hewett. He's an elite kick both for goal and around the ground, is dual sided and a good decision maker. Revisit this post next year. I'm sure the doubters be be on board.
    I rated Jake higher after his first season than I do George. Jake got a little more of it, and seemed a little more influential. You're right that if George improves at the rate Jake does we'll have some player. Jake's average disposals have risen from 15 to 20 to 24 over his first three years. I think George needs to work on imposing himself on games more and prove he can get more if it at this level. Jake's running capacity ensures he will get it, I'm not convinced George can - he's a little slow and doesn't seem capable of outlasting opponents with endurance.

If you're comparing Hewett's contribution to Rohan's *this year*, I disagree it's been the same. Rohan has broken games open and provided a real threat and can worry any opponent. Hewett has won some key free kicks, but is less of a threat and does not trouble top teams as much.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I rated Jake higher after his first season than I do George. Jake got a little more of it, and seemed a little more influential. You're right that if George improves at the rate Jake does we'll have some player. Jake's average disposals have risen from 15 to 20 to 24 over his first three years. I think George needs to work on imposing himself on games more and prove he can get more if it at this level. Jake's running capacity ensures he will get it, I'm not convinced George can - he's a little slow and doesn't seem capable of outlasting opponents with endurance.

If you're comparing Hewett's contribution to Rohan's *this year*, I disagree it's been the same. Rohan has broken games open and provided a real threat and can worry any opponent. Hewett has won some key free kicks, but is less of a threat and does not trouble top teams as much.
    George is not the quickest player, but he is evasive. He doesn't have the tank of a Jake Lloyd and will need to improve on that, but I see no reason why that should be an obstacle at this stage of his career. He is one of the best kicks on the team, is a good decision maker and goes in hard at the contest. It's normal for the younger guys to defer to the more senior players when it's a choice of who gets to go for the ball, but he will take his turn when required. He had 9 tackles in the prelim final.

The challenge George faces is that his best position is an inside midfielder. He comes to a club which is already the best in the league with the likes of Parker, Kennedy and Hanners. Then he need to fight for a spot against emerging superstars in Heeney and Mills. As much as I think of Hewett, I wouldn't put him into this category of player. Then there is Zak Jones, who also will likely end up in the midfield and offers genuine breakaway speed from the contest. George may be at the bottom of an incredibly talented midfield group, but he's still a very good young player.

Notice that I haven't mentioned Tom Mitchell. Tom is a very talented player, but we simply have too many good midfielders. Tom has good trade value now and we are better off letting him go and give a little more space for our young midfielders to move into. I think Longmire will have to adopt a strategy next year which involves more midfield rotations, instead of concentrating on Kennedy, Parker, Hanners and Jack constantly at the coal face. We started see more of that at the end of the season and it certainly showed the potential of Heeney as a midfielder.

I see 9 players taking turns in the midfield rotation: Kennedy, Jack, Parker, Hanners, Heeney, Mills, Jones, Hewett and Lloyd. That's a very strong group and so young too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Because he is a player of unique talent. He also has the same birthday as Noam Chomsky. That's got to count for something.
    Made me laugh that one. Next you will be dropping gestalt theory on us. You brighten me.

Take it! For the dosh he's on, and the chances he has been given, he should be delivering more than 5 possessions in a game, any game. Not good enough. I won't take that.

Longmire has said repeatedly, he will select only fit players. Gary Rohan's problem on Saturday was not his leg, it was inside his head.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Longmire has said repeatedly, he will select only fit players. Gary Rohan's problem on Saturday was not his leg, it was inside his head.
    Yet he picked Mills and McVeigh who were both clearly underdone.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danz4 View Post
    We need speed.
    And a lot of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Not sure Mcs. He kicked 5 great goals against the Hawks in a dominant display. Had a good prelim final again. Crap gf again.

Even a lock down role on Johannison would have been handy.
    I thought this might be a match up before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    I don't think Gary is unfit, per se, any more than Daniel Chick was unfit with his the tip of his finger amputated or Nathan Brown was after he returned a lesser impact player after his broken leg.
    Gary's base level is now simply different. His daily level of discomfort will be present (to a degree) and he will sensitise to it & adapt to living & performing with it. I expect that if his performance is inadequate to Horse's expectations, there will be consequences but if Gary is playing his role to Horse's satisfaction (& we don't know what that is) he'll continue. Just an opinion.

Veterans List
    Of all of our newbies who debuted in the seniors this season, Mills, Aliir, Jones and Papley were the standouts and have bright futures. Those worried about Papley should chill, he will only get better. Hewitt will benefit a lot from this finals series and will come back an improved performer next season, he shows a lot of composure at times, especially in traffic, he is a great kick, and I think we will see marked development in his game next season. Marsh will be a handy depth player and may cement a spot if he continues to improve and of course needs to be given chances to do this. Talia's form will have a bearing on this. Of the older players, McGlynn is finished, Macca should be but will probably play on, but should relinquish the captaincy. I agree with others that Joey should be skipper, the sole skipper. There is no better example setter in our team. Kizza will probably stay as co-captain, but based on example setting, Bud should also be considered for a co-captain role, if they continue with that leadership model. Laidler......depth, hopefully AJ and Talia return successfully. We have the midfield depth to cover for Tom, and those calling for Tippett to be traded should seek a reality check and cast their minds back to his All Australian rucking form from earlier in the season. He will return to that form and hopefully stay injury free.....that is the big unknown with Kurt. Off season recruiting should seek a player/s with speed off half back who possess dogged defensive skill. Our rucks and midfield stocks are fine, forward line....maybe another Papley type to replace McGlynn, not sure Rose is the answer, but we'll see how he develops. I will place my trust in the coaching/recruiting panel to make the right decisions over the break to bring in what we need to go to the next level and snag the cup we deserved this year. We can do nothing about the umpiring......lets just hope the fallout from this years GF cheat-fest causes change and helps set the record straight next year, although I won't be holding my breath on that one. I fear any 'fallout' will be lost in the 'fairytale' of rigged history......

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

Considering George's age I think you are being a bit harsh. He is a different type of player and still has a way to go physically.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    If I recall correctly, we also got their 4th rounder last year to use for points, swap of 4th rounders, last years for this years, basically got Talia for free

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast