Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 81

Thread: AFLs review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

  1. #1
    Pushing for Selection ASSASSIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ᴘᴀʟᴍ ʙᴇᴀᴄʜ ɴsᴡ
    Posts
    85

    AFLs review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

    Tell us something every swans supporter didn't already know....

    THE AFL has found the umpiring in the 2016 Grand Final fell short of the standard expected from the three umpires of that elite calibre
    The league has reviewed the umpiring from the Grand Final and found that there were three to four decisions that were incorrect that went against the Sydney Swans.
    Those decisions deemed incorrect by the review included some failures to call sliding free kicks, most notably the contentious slide by Easton Wood on Dan Hannebery that resulted in a medial ligament injury to the Swan in the final quarter when the game lay in the balance.


    Read more here Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports
    Last edited by ASSASSIN; 7th October 2016 at 01:56 AM.

  2. #2
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    268
    Only three to four, what a joke.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Only three to four, what a joke.
    They're the ones they simply can't deny because they were so glaringly obvious. Example, the one on Papley hasn't received as much public outcry and thus gets overlooked.

    This is merely a PR move by the AFL. If everything went the way they wanted to, they wouldn't have heard a peep out of us.

    Like good little boys, our club has remained quiet.

  4. #4
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    799
    I blame the coaches a bit for the lack of outcry re poor umpiring. They all have multiple meltdowns during
    the match then say diddly squat about it after the game. Longmire is a repeat offender here, and I think it's because
    the coaches fraternity is a boys club that makes Eddie's media scrum down in Melbourne pale a bit by
    comparison. He doesn't want to offend his good mate Bevo by suggesting the Dogs may have be benefitted from
    the umpires giving them a free reign. They are all as bad as each other in this area.

  5. #5
    I seem to be very different from the average internet posting footy fan in that I don't believe in attributing to conspiracy that which is adequately explained by incompetence. I don't think the AFL or the umpires are "out to get us", and I think that umpires rarely make much difference to the outcome of a game. If everything went according to the AFL's plan, they wouldn't have heard anything from the media about the umpiring, because the game would have been umpired better.

    I think this is what coaches are talking about when they say they only worry about what they control. They have enough to do without coaching the umpires as well - that's Hayden Kennedy's job. The question in their heads is "did I see anything that requires me to coach my team differently", and rarely would that be the case.

    Having said that, the umpiring was clearly below standard and I don't think it's a coincidence that the non-calls mostly were for "below the knees". Once one call gets made, the umpires try and be consistent and the bulldogs went in lower and harder than us all day and so benefitted. It's the same with the 50m against Laidler - that was a bad call, but Joey Kennedy benefitted from a similar call later in the game (although Joey's I thought was a borderline right call, whereas Laidler's was clearly wrong).

    We were beaten by a better team, but the bad umpiring was salt in the wound of the loss and felt like an insult to us. It makes me feel a lot better that the AFL have acknowledged it.

  6. #6
    Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fools' Paradise
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Tell us something every swans supporter didn't already know....

    THE AFL has found the umpiring in the 2016 Grand Final fell short of the standard expected from the three umpires of that elite calibre
    The league has reviewed the umpiring from the Grand Final and found that there were three to four decisions that were incorrect that went against the Sydney Swans.
    Those decisions deemed incorrect by the review included some failures to call sliding free kicks, most notably the contentious slide by Easton Wood on Dan Hannebery that resulted in a medial ligament injury to the Swan in the final quarter when the game lay in the balance.



    Read more here Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports
    It was impossible for them to say anything else because the umpiring was so obviously horrendous. I have friends who dislike the Swans but were ringing me to say WTF WAS THAT!

    The "three to four" is called damage control - acknowledge a problem so you look fair and even handed but downplay it to the greatest extent possible.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

  7. #7
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    14,053
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I blame the coaches a bit for the lack of outcry re poor umpiring. They all have multiple meltdowns during
    the match then say diddly squat about it after the game. Longmire is a repeat offender here, and I think it's because
    the coaches fraternity is a boys club that makes Eddie's media scrum down in Melbourne pale a bit by
    comparison. He doesn't want to offend his good mate Bevo by suggesting the Dogs may have be benefitted from
    the umpires giving them a free reign. They are all as bad as each other in this area.
    It's rare that I don't agree with practically everything you post, but in this case I don't think criticism of the coaches (for not criticising the umpiring) is warranted. What happened had happened, and no comments were going to change the result of the game. Making any comment about the umpiring as a losing GF club would just come across as ungracious. One thing that I am immensely proud about this club is that it is consistently and uniformly gracious in both victory and defeat.

  8. #8
    I wonder whether clubs like the swans should be analysing the opposition prior to a grand final and then making public the aspects of the game that the umpires have to watch. For example the bulldogs are known for going in too low, and for throwing the ball. Perhaps the swans should have met with the umpires prior to the game to highlight their concerns about this, and gone in the media before the game highlighting the need for umpires to be vigilant in respect to these frees.

    I'm not sure the refusal to acknowledge the issues by the club helps much. I think they need to be more proactive and develop an umpire management strategy. Hawthorn have certainly benefited over the years from such an approach.

  9. #9
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,951
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    They're the ones they simply can't deny because they were so glaringly obvious. Example, the one on Papley hasn't received as much public outcry and thus gets overlooked.

    This is merely a PR move by the AFL. If everything went the way they wanted to, they wouldn't have heard a peep out of us.

    Like good little boys, our club has remained quiet.
    If the club open their mouths, they get fined and every little troll on the internet will call us sooky la las.
    They F'd it up badly.
    I hope that Stevic umpires the under 17s next year.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

  10. #10
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    799
    Yeah, probably my comment is a little harsh (it was early and I hadn't had my first coffee yet.... I'm blaming that)
    but I do think the fraternal nature of the coaching community does make them tread lightly around the issue.
    The coaches are clearly frustrated by umpiring decisions during games if the footage of all their gesticulating in
    the box is anything to go off. Complaining about it immediately after a GF or any game is not a good look, but
    you'd think there are avenues to make their opinions heard once the hubbub has died down a bit. Maybe they
    do, and we just don't hear about it. For me the thing that lost us the GF was our inability to stop the Dogs scoring
    from stoppages in their forward 50. Or forward 20 actually, they kicked a lot of goals from very close in.

  11. #11
    It's Goodes to cheer!! Site Admin ScottH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Master of the house, keeper of the zoo
    Posts
    23,641
    Blog Entries
    2
    I was over the loss, but now after reading that article and seeing it reappear on my news feed over and over again, I'm even more pissed off!!

  12. #12
    Some accurate kicking for goal from set shots by our blokes would have kept us in it .
    Umps favour teams like the Dogs who play rapid movement free flowing footy so they have less descisions to make .

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO