Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AFL�s review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

Veterans List
    Champion Data record individual umpire stats on free kicks paid etc, but the AFL forbids the release of those stats.......for obvious reasons!

Senior Player
    I'm with Stevo here. If some people want to "move on" from the issue, well they can. They just don't have to involve themselves
    in the discussion anymore. Moving on from the footy season itself is another thing entirely. Trade week is only so interesting.
    I don't really care where Tyrone Vickery ends up, just as long as it's not with us. I think I'm going to head out to oh so royal Randwick for
    the next few weeks and make a series of poorly thought out investments on some very large horses carrying very small people
    as they run very fast whilst drinking beer with a high alcohol content and eating food with a high fat content.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    It frustrates me when people tell others to move on......it's far from the first time we've had to 'move on' and while we'd all like to (again!), when do you suggest we move on to? The next time the Swans get shafted by the league or the umpires? You know it will happen.......but I suppose we can just 'move on' yet again, while the AFL smile smugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    a correct umpires decision doesn't change his injured knee
    But that's really the key point. If the umpires had correctly paid the two previous sliding tackles then it is doubtful that Hanners gets injured at all as the players would have adapted to the officiating. The umpires failed in their duty of care.

The article is a bit weird though. Why would the AFL say that the umpires made 3-4 errors. If they checked the game in the review they would know if it was three, four or ten. There shouldn't be any ambiguity at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    2 goals the difference, and I honestly think their last 2 goals, and it might stretch to their last 3, came because we left ourselves open defensively when trying to score quickly (I think we tried to go long down the middle from a kick-in twice to no avail, which I can't recall seeing all season and can't recall seeing work late in a game since 2005).
    This is a horrible thread. I can't stand it. I have been trying all week to let the disappointment subside. I try to persuade myself that the umpiring wasn't the reason we lost, but I can't actually convince myself that it wasn't a factor. It's not just about goals directly scored, it's also about momentum (as I think others have pointed out). And with a differential of 12 frees in the Dogs' favour, at, say 40 metres per kick, that's about 500 metres gained. Any player would like to have a stat like that.

I fully agree with Stellation's observation about the last couple of goals; when we started going long down the middle, that was the moment I thought, "We're gone. The boys are losing their faith, we've switched to panic mode."

I don't believe in conspiracy, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if even the umpires got caught up in all the Doggie Dream hype.

This much I will say. When I drove from Melbourne up to Sydney to see the first final and saw Isaac's mark denied and the turnover converted to a goal, I ask myself, Do I really want to make this kind of trek in order to see the game live, when sub-standard umpiring can be so influential to the momentum and outcome of a game? I'm rusted on to the Bloods, but no way, AFL, am I rusted on to your product.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm with Stevo here. If some people want to "move on" from the issue, well they can. They just don't have to involve themselves
    in the discussion anymore. Moving on from the footy season itself is another thing entirely. Trade week is only so interesting.
    I don't really care where Tyrone Vickery ends up, just as long as it's not with us. I think I'm going to head out to oh so royal Randwick for
    the next few weeks and make a series of poorly thought out investments on some very large horses carrying very small people
    as they run very fast whilst drinking beer with a high alcohol content and eating food with a high fat content.
    Yes, I know. I'm not sure if I've really come to terms with the lack of Friday night football tonight?

Senior Player
    It's not good. On Foxtel tonight they were going on and on about this weird sport where there is no marking, handpassing or tackling.
    They were calling it football. It had a round ball and a net. Looked pretty silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I know. I'm not sure if I've really come to terms with the lack of Friday night football tonight?

DVDs are solving that for me! The 1909, 2005 & 2012 grand finals. And the successive West Coast, Essendon & Richmond games of 1987. & 1982 Round 1 v Melb & night Grand final vs North. It's a start

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This is a horrible thread. I can't stand it. I have been trying all week to let the disappointment subside. I try to persuade myself that the umpiring wasn't the reason we lost, but I can't actually convince myself that it wasn't a factor. It's not just about goals directly scored, it's also about momentum (as I think others have pointed out). And with a differential of 12 frees in the Dogs' favour, at, say 40 metres per kick, that's about 500 metres gained. Any player would like to have a stat like that.

I fully agree with Stellation's observation about the last couple of goals; when we started going long down the middle, that was the moment I thought, "We're gone. The boys are losing their faith, we've switched to panic mode."

I don't believe in conspiracy, but I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if even the umpires got caught up in all the Doggie Dream hype.

This much I will say. When I drove from Melbourne up to Sydney to see the first final and saw Isaac's mark denied and the turnover converted to a goal, I ask myself, Do I really want to make this kind of trek in order to see the game live, when sub-standard umpiring can be so influential to the momentum and outcome of a game? I'm rusted on to the Bloods, but no way, AFL, am I rusted on to your product.
    Yep, this is a great post. I also think the best explanation for the awful umpiring is that the umpires had a self-conscious bias to the Bulldogs, swept up in the city's will for the Bulldogs to win. So one-sided was it, it reached the point where I was stunned Stevic awarded the Hewett the HTB free in the final term (until I saw the replay and it was unavoidable). The accepted narrative of the game is that the Bulldogs had 22 contributors and we didn't, but even if that is true it only became telling in the final term. Had we led by 8 at halftime (as we should have had the awful awful free not been given against Jack for kicking in danger when his legs we taken from him) the game may have developed differently in the second half. I consumed way too much AFL media in the month leading to the grand final, and by the end was impassioned by the bias and myopia. That has been amplified by the manner of this loss.

You drove from Melbourne to watch the first final? Respect. The drive back to Canberra was bad enough (my phone battery died, and I was condemned to silence). I then dragged my family down for the grand final. We had a great day at the zoo on Sunday, thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    DVDs are solving that for me! The 1909, 2005 & 2012 grand finals. And the successive West Coast, Essendon & Richmond games of 1987. & 1982 Round 1 v Melb & night Grand final vs North. It's a start
    I was hoping that I'd be on my fourth or fifth replay of the 2016 grand final by now, but so far I haven't got to the third quarter.
    1909 GF ??

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I don't really care where Tyrone Vickery ends up, just as long as it's not with us.
    This
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I was hoping that I'd be on my fourth or fifth replay of the 2016 grand final by now, but so far I haven't got to the third quarter.
    1909 GF ??
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Screen shot from my TV
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    It goes for maybe 10 and a half minutes showing grainy B&W highlights from the game, pre-game & post match South celebrations.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast