Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: AFL�s review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    More on the umps tucked away in Tim Lane's article:Asking the hard questions of the Western Bulldogs' win for the ages
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Just going back to the article that started this thread, does anyone know if this is the only article that claims to know the results of the AFL review? I mean, when originally reading it, I had the impression that the journalist was preempting an official AFL announcement, but so far I haven't heard anything from the AFL about the umpiring?
    To me, the two main possibilities are. One: the journalist was just making crap up, which may be a reasonable assumption. Or two: they got it right, but the AFL bosses have decided that yes, the umpiring did unjustifiably favour one side and they really don't want any attention drawn to that fact. If this week's episode of Whistleblowers is still yet to see the light of day, then that may support that theory.

Sorry to bring up this old chestnut but the free kick count in yesterdays Dogs vs Saints match was 40 - 14 in favour of the Dogs! Is this a sign of things to come?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Sorry to bring up this old chestnut but the free kick count in yesterdays Dogs vs Saints match was 40 - 14 in favour of the Dogs! Is this a sign of things to come?
    That is an astonishing stat - hope it is an aberration. Stirs up a bit of mental scar tissue.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    That is an astonishing stat - hope it is an aberration. Stirs up a bit of mental scar tissue.
    The Saints still won.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 56-14 View Post
    The Saints still won.
    That's astonishing as well

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Their AFLW team got an armchair ride against the Dees as well, although the Dees just got over the line.

And don't apologise for bringing it up - we should never, ever forget!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    That's astonishing as well
    Not really. Free kick differential is a very poor predictor of result; there's almost no relationship.

I know, I know, no-one wants to believe this! But it is true. I'll post a chart some time

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Not really. Free kick differential is a very poor predictor of result; there's almost no relationship.

I know, I know, no-one wants to believe this! But it is true. I'll post a chart some time
    I understand and can believe you re differential but 40-14!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

23 frees in the forward half.....and they still lost. Doesn't say much about there forward line....but it says a lot about the standard and 'impartiality' AFL officiating.

Round one will be interesting indeed.

The 2016 was basically the beginning of the end of my love for AFL.

If it was Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon on the end of that umpiring they’d probably have had a royal commission into Jefferey, Meredith n Stevic.

If that was a Cricket World Cup final the First thing the media would have highlighted was the possible collusion between umpires n bookmakers.

But in hindsight I’m not surprised one bit, it’s the AFL where the game is run so amateurishly run sfa was done about it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast