Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL�s review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    It definitely hasn't helped my cause either. So frustrating - the Jack one before half time and the Rampe one were two critical calls that swung the play around and led to goals. Rampe one was worse because of the @@@@ free that followed straight after.

Takes a lot to go your way to win a flag. I hope we see another one soon after the two missed chances in 14 & 16 after winning the minor premiership.

Senior Player
    We all know the umpiring was farcical. At least it has been officially acknowledged now. Maybe if we make another GF in the near future the outcome won't be decided by terrible officiating. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Umps favour teams like the Dogs who play rapid movement free flowing footy so they have less descisions to make .
    This comment on their natural bias this is very true when you look at the stats. We were always going to be hard done by by the Umps in a Grand Final vs the Dogs. Just a pity that some of their 'errors' appeared so blatant.

Interesting analysis here by Matt Cowgill.... Who won the free kick race in 2016? – The Arc

frees2016-totalbar.png

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Had to check the Calender to make sure it was not April Fools Day. Just the Giant AFL propaganda machine rolling along. If they had a replay of the GF next weekend, we would have the same umpires and the same bias. Longmire cannot complain, because its pointless. He will get fined for his criticism and he will have a discussion with the Umpiring boss, who will admit we got that wrong and that wrong etc etc. Yes its was poor umpiring!!

Then behold the following week the exact same umpiring will occur.

Pushing for Selection
    I watched the North Melbourne GF Breakfast, and the "celebrities" were introduced to music. So, Julie Bishop, a Dogs supporter, comes in to "Sons of the West". Fair enough.
    Gordon and Swans Vice Chairman come in, to a bit of both teams songs. Again, fair enough.
    Then Gill and Fitzpatrick enter to, yep, "Sons of the West".
    I knew we were toast then.

The only proof of anything tangable being done is if stevic and co are demoted from finals duty in 2017.

Otherwise its AFL PR bull@@@@.

Has the AFL actually said anything publicly? I read this story to be just a leak not officially confirmed. And certainly not a 'culpa nostra'.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I watched the North Melbourne GF Breakfast, and the "celebrities" were introduced to music. So, Julie Bishop, a Dogs supporter, comes in to "Sons of the West". Fair enough.
    Gordon and Swans Vice Chairman come in, to a bit of both teams songs. Again, fair enough.
    Then Gill and Fitzpatrick enter to, yep, "Sons of the West".
    I knew we were toast then.
    No Julie Bishop is an Eagles supporter. And for Gil and Fitzblatter they played the GWS team song when they entered. They were taking the piss out of them .

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Notwithstanding all the impacts from a little bug going ka-choo that means nothing is as simple as all this (Parker goaled a few minutes after the Jack miss, for example, and I can't remember if it was because we were able to build pressure after the miss), but;

1. the AFL acknowledge the Rampe HTB was wrong, which allowed them to keep the ball in there and ended up in a goal from a head high free (can't blame Clay too much, anyone would go weak at the knees with Dashing Dane nearby!). 22-6 = 16.
    2. they don't mention the Jack non-50 after being cleaned up early by Wood, but I genuinely don't understand why it wasn't given*. Kicked a behind, 50 would have meant a guaranteed goal. I'd love to see if this was assessed and the ruling. 16-5 = 11.

2 goals the difference, and I honestly think their last 2 goals, and it might stretch to their last 3, came because we left ourselves open defensively when trying to score quickly (I think we tried to go long down the middle from a kick-in twice to no avail, which I can't recall seeing all season and can't recall seeing work late in a game since 2005).

*This one kills me the most. If they pay the 50 he goals and the brave act is rewarded and the team lifts around their captain, they don't pay it and the Bulldogs get to have the tone set by their captain.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I don't think that Jack mark was 50, but was more of a 50 than was paid against Laidler.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I didn't think there was anything particularly malicious in it beyond just a regular "make him earn it", but I did think it was there. I'm pretty sure he'd completed the mark before he was cleaned up- if a guy is going back with the flight and someone bashes into him coming the other way even a split second after the marking contest it's usually paid.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

The umpiring was terrible and bias against us..But I think it's a stretch to say it cost us the game.

Buddy injuring his ankle in the first 5 mins was a mortal blow.

Most of our other forwards, most notably, Tippett, Rohan, Richards, went missing.

Loosing Hanners early in the 4th (a correct umpires decision doesn't change his injured knee), another mortal blow.

Dogs finishing the 4th quarter stronger than us.

To me, these are the main reasons we lost, not the umpiring
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast