Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AFL�s review of Grand Final finds umpiring was not up to the standard expected

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    It goes for maybe 10 and a half minutes showing grainy B&W highlights from the game, pre-game & post match South celebrations.
    It's on YouTube and is apparently the oldest surviving footage of a game. Very interesting to see how things have changed (slapping the ball, kicking off the ground). Think it was posted in a thread a while ago, here it is again.

Last edited by neilfws; 8th October 2016 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I don't really care where Tyrone Vickery ends up, just as long as it's not with us.
    I think you've found something we can all agree on, KTiger!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    The article is a bit weird though. Why would the AFL say that the umpires made 3-4 errors. If they checked the game in the review they would know if it was three, four or ten. There shouldn't be any ambiguity at this point.
    There are probably some 50/50 calls which they would be happy to call either way. (I'm ok with that. More than most sports, the rules of AFL require umpire interpretation).

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yep, this is a great post. I also think the best explanation for the awful umpiring is that the umpires had a self-conscious bias to the Bulldogs, swept up in the city's will for the Bulldogs to win.
    Do you mean sub-conscious (ie. they weren't aware of it)? That definitely happens. It's pretty well established that the home crowd affects the umpires and the Bulldogs had the crowd well and truly on their side all week. I'm sure they try and ignore it, but it's very hard to stop things which affect you subconsciously.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    There are probably some 50/50 calls which they would be happy to call either way. (I'm ok with that. More than most sports, the rules of AFL require umpire interpretation).

Do you mean sub-conscious (ie. they weren't aware of it)? That definitely happens. It's pretty well established that the home crowd affects the umpires and the Bulldogs had the crowd well and truly on their side all week. I'm sure they try and ignore it, but it's very hard to stop things which affect you subconsciously.
    Yep, subconscious. That was a typo.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    It's on YouTube and is apparently the oldest surviving footage of a game. Very interesting to see how things have changed (slapping the ball, kicking off the ground). Think it was posted in a thread a while ago, here it is again.

I love the spikes on the fence. Very Rollerball-esque.

Veterans List
    I thought what Laidler did was plain dumb, but the non 50 to Jack early in the game beggars belief. Marks the ball and is hit by a player no where near being in the contest. He kicks that goal and we are off and running. How any club can have a +99 free kick differential in a season is very strange. No mention by the AFL of blatant rugby throws by the Dogs.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Interestingly that it was filmed by a C Spencer from SYDNEY....

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

Good explanation of what happens in every day of life. Pre-bias, subconscious, environment, pressure, management, outcomes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Good explanation of what happens in every day of life. Pre-bias, subconscious, environment, pressure, management, outcomes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    You're not trying to tell me umpires are human are you?

Regular in the Side
    I like the idea of slapping the ball. Dogs were throwing it anyway so might as well make throwing legal as it seems it is almost impossible for umpires to detect. Would speed the game up and make for less congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    I like the idea of slapping the ball. Dogs were throwing it anyway so might as well make throwing legal as it seems it is almost impossible for umpires to detect. Would speed the game up and make for less congestion.
    I once invented a game so an AFL team could theoretically compete with an NRL team.
    The only real difference was that you could throw the ball but like in NRL & NFL it had to be "completed".
    So passing the ball by hand wasn't allowed to hit the turf.
    Get tackled anytime and don't get the pass away to another player (or kick) is holding the ball.
    Imagine how simple umpiring would become.
    give it to the game

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    It goes for maybe 10 and a half minutes showing grainy B&W highlights from the game, pre-game & post match South celebrations.
    Nice. I quite liked the fact that the uniforms weren't all that uniform. Maybe each player got a wife or a mother to make them one? Some followed the pattern, some decided to improvise?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast