Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player & Coach Comings and Goings - Who's Going Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    With 19's playing Prems I guess the overriding factor should the environment in which their going into and wether or not it will improve their football.

I am sure in many cases U/19's going into a Prems team because they are low on quality players and getting beaten most weeks is going to be a very different learning experience than playing in a winning, well structured team.

If I was an youngster looking for a taste of the big time I know a few games in the winning team is going to be better for my football than a season in a losing team.
    Let's not forget that Manly finished 6th, with some of those 17 year olds being in the best players in games where Manly beat sides like North Shore and Penno. So your statement, if it relates to Manly, is not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    An interesting discussion point.

My personal view is that the game is in the best shape it has ever been in Sydney and that this is largely due to the Academy system and thus indirectly due to the introduction of GWS. I still have my doubts about their longevity in a brutal sporting market, and I think most of the spinoff benefits at grassroots level have flown the Swans' way but only time will tell re them.

Having said that I think the SFL (i.e. Prem Div) is weaker than it was 10 years ago. And the reason for this is simply that 40 or so of the best players in Sydney are in NEAFL programs at Sydney Uni or as toppies at the Swans/GWS when they would be playing for their local sides. I know some NEAFL players at the Students would not be here at all in an SFL team (e.g. Xav would have gone home) but on the whole I think that argument holds.

That's not a criticism of the NEAFL or Sydney Uni because I actually think that having that third elite player pathway at Sydney Uni, who run a college like program, is very important long term. And I think in time Sydney Uni NEAFL will effectively become a Sydney rep team who are very very competitive against AFL programs because let's be honest here they are the only organisation that can fund the operation required to compete at that level. It just means that at this point in time it dilutes the SFL of it's elite level talent.

But in time, and I mean in 5 years, as the trickle of talent from the academies becomes surge, I expect that the SFL will increase quite quickly to a point where it is at its strongest ever standard.

I also think that this will reward strongly clubs with strong juniors like never before and punish those that don't.

Winners
    Pennant Hills (Pennant Hills, Westbrook)
    Baulko (once they get their house in order, traditionally a strong junior area)
    North Shore (St Ives, Willoughby, Mosman plus kids coming through the private school system now they have a comp)
    Manly (very strong juniors at Manly, Forest and Pittwater plus new clubs at Balgowlah and Wakehurst)
    Easts (Maroubra and Easts are strong junior clubs plus kids coming through the private school system now they have a comp)
    St George (traditionally very strong junior base)
    Sydney Uni (Inner City junior clubs Newtown and Moore Park continue to grow plus kids coming through the private school system now they have a comp)

Losers or at Risk
    UTS - no juniors, suspect their long term future is as a powerhouse of the lower divisions
    Wests - small number of clubs and terrible demographics in the inner west (increasingly Asian and Arabic)
    Balmain - Small junior base at this stage

As for all the western Sydney teams (Parramatta, Penrith, Hawkesbury, Camden, Liverpool, Campbelltown) I'd say they are all risk of becoming second class AFL areas in Sydney as the Swans Academy goes from strength to strength unless the GWS equivalents also start pulling their weight at a grassroots level in Sydney.

Other obvious areas of growth and improvement are the women's game (virtually non existent 10 years ago) and the quality of coaching.

The two other major areas, umpiring and administration, my impression is that any improvement is marginal.
    Excellent summary Mug Punter. Now that the GWS has apparently lost the Murray as part of their zone perhaps they will put more effort into Sydney. It is a shame that their current under 18 squad has only 4 out of 40 from sydney. This is a complete contrast to the swans who have diligently worked to foster sydney talent, and also integrate coaches from most of the sydney clubs. In two weeks the swans under 18s square off against GWS for the first time in the Div 2 national championships. It will be Sydney vs Riverina with the swans definite underdogs. We couldn't be more proud of the effort and preparation Chris Smith and Jarrod Crouch have put into the team and they are doing ok. (they accounted for north shore prems by about 10 goals last weekend). Nearly every player in the squad is signed up with one of the prems clubs (including kids from out of sydney like jack hardman) so the swans academy is basically an under 18s sydney side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    You guys are going great guns from a junior perspective these days. I believe you have a new team at Balgowlah because you had to stop turning kids away at Manly Bombers.

Plus you've got a new club at Wakehurst along with the old timers at Pittwater and Forest. Are there any more new clubs in the offing? Any chance of getting any of the local private schools like St Augustines getting an AFL program?

One thing that does seem crazy is that parents still have to drive such distances for games. Surely you could go back to the old North Shore Many JAFA with the following teams

* Manly
    * Pittwater
    * Balgowlah
    * Wakehurst
    * Mosman
    * Forest
    * Lane Cove
    * Willoughby
    * St Ives
    * Hornsby/Berowra
    St Augustines is one of the most anti afl schools around. Even Shore school has now embraced AFL. It is getting so popular their that they will field two senior sides this year.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Is it untrue? The last mail I got out Camden way was obviously on the mark with no one able to say why they sacked a coach 6 weeks before a season (and a few months into a preseason after finishing first in 2015 and winning the flag in 2016).

8 interstate players because North Shore is better than it was? Nice.
    Is it untrue - yep!!

Sorry if I'm undermining your rally cry for round 1, but saying something that's untrue over and over doesn't make it true!! It's just boring.

Something else to agree with Barra on, Manly will be competitive. Plenty of good players there and a different voice to freshen them up. I reckon only 2 teams solid for prems top five, ECE and St G, with everyone else having a shot at the other 3 spots.

Makes it interesting!!

Sydney Uni will be interesting with the massive NEAFL list they have at their disposal, how many will go back to clubs? Or will they be strongly encouraged to play for Sydney Uni Prems

Quote Originally Posted by 5yearplan View Post
    Sydney Uni will be interesting with the massive NEAFL list they have at their disposal, how many will go back to clubs? Or will they be strongly encouraged to play for Sydney Uni Prems
    Good point. Jarrod Irving was allocated to us last year, but didn't play and I see that other players that were allocated to other Sydney AFL clubs are still on the NEAFL list, so I wonder if the players get to choose the club they want to play at now, or are they are still allocated to the clubs they went to in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by bomber. View Post
    Good point. Jarrod Irving was allocated to us last year, but didn't play and I see that other players that were allocated to other Sydney AFL clubs are still on the NEAFL list, so I wonder if the players get to choose the club they want to play at now, or are they are still allocated to the clubs they went to in the first place?
    I thought the fact that the ex swans academy guys were on the uni neafl rookie list meant they were still registered with their original club. That way they would be permitted to play for uni neafl on a week by week basis. I think there are about 6 North Shore players in this group who, if I am right, would still be North Shore. On the other hand James Brain from Manly is listed in the main squad which tends to say something else.

Does anyone have the answer to this?

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I thought the fact that the ex swans academy guys were on the uni neafl rookie list meant they were still registered with their original club. That way they would be permitted to play for uni neafl on a week by week basis. I think there are about 6 North Shore players in this group who, if I am right, would still be North Shore. On the other hand James Brain from Manly is listed in the main squad which tends to say something else.

Does anyone have the answer to this?
    Pretty sure it works the same way with the main list. I think players have a choice of playing with Sydney Uni or staying with their Sydney AFL club. So I reckon James Brain would be able to select Manly and play for them when he doesn't get a game in the NEAFL.

Wait and see I guess.

I think the issue raised before was what happens to those players who don't have a Sydney AFL club. Do they all play for Sydney Uni?

Yeh i heard they scrapped the "draft" they use to have.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Bomber if you have brought in 8 interstate walk up starts for your prems and have got back 3 from uni where will the so called kids fit in? The only balancing here is the cheque book imo as 5 of the 8 are costing you 40k +.
    your havin' a right laugh if you think north shore has 40k to throw away on 5-8 players

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Forget about '2017 player and coach comings and goings - who's going where ?"..................

........What's happened to our very own Norris Lurker - "the people's choice ?" Norris, are you to be replaced by five RWO online contributors?
    There is such vast expertise at our little table of knowledge here but nothing could ever replace you, Norris - would it take a pay rise to keep you at our games with your trusty camera phone, notepad and two loyal assistants with pooch ?
    Will it be put to the vote with an election and can we hand out how-to-vote cards for you ?

Could there be a few extra "bomber-bucks" thrown your way to keep you as our mentor ?
    LOL!

I'll still be around. But I can't be in 5 places at once. And between what I do on here, club stuff and galivanting around the country with my GWS gig, as well as holding down a job, I can't run the AFL Sydney media on my own.
    As was noted on here, the AFL Sydney website was a bit light-on last year. They're all too aware of that and are keen to get some more content on this season. But without wanting to look like one person's running the entire propaganda unit lol......
    But I'll have an involvement with it. All will be revealed soon.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Saviour I have a question as Ive also heard that young Roosy will be flown up for ten games plus finals and this was a little while ago from a non Sydney AFL or AFL source who I believe has reliable information. My question is what is the logic given that St George promote developing their juniors and dont pay players? Surely he is taking the spot of a local and who is paying given no obvious heartfelt connection to the red and white?

BTW I dont think you have a fixation on Camden rather you were using them as an example to prove your info shared here previously was on the money. However as Giants said JL will happily divulge their reason behind the big fellas departute. I cant comment on what happened but understand.

Also I believe the games tomorrow at Camden are off due to weather.

Almost Football Legend
    I'd be surprised if anyone gets to play any trial games this weekend. Even Blacktown ISP is closed.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty