Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Footy lingo - especially for newbies

Footy lingo - especially for newbies

I'm always puzzled by the phrase "gut runner", which seems to mean someone who runs very hard for most of the game, even if they aren't particularly quick.

Am I close?

RE: trivia question

All were players on the 2016 list. So far as I know, none of them had completed formal qualifications. The plumber and the carpenter have been correctly identified (at least they were who I had in mind).

Loving the other contributions. Never head of the term 'sheep dog' before. Nor did I actually know the difference between banana and checkside. For that matter I don't know how you kick a torp or why it goes further.

My understanding of 'Tiggy Touchwood' is that it is a children's game from the playground and is used to distinguished the hard, tough game played on the footy field, as in "We're not playing Tiggy Touchwood out there, you know!!" The connection to pedantic decisions might arise when umpires overlook the hard realities of the game and give 'soft' (albeit possibly technically accurate) decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I'm always puzzled by the phrase "gut runner", which seems to mean someone who runs very hard for most of the game, even if they aren't particularly quick.

Am I close?
    Pretty close, it refers to the endurance to run at pace for extended periods up and down the field. Also often referred to as "two way running". Usually associated with midfielders, Hanners and Jack are noted Swan gut runners and JPK demonstrated a memorable example in the Prelim

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post

Am I close?
    I think so. I can't perfectly explain it but it's about digging really deep and perhaps running until you throw up and then keep on running.

A term increasingly used that I find very annoying is the continual reference to "Midfield Bulls", i.e. heavy bodied inside mids who are hard at the footy. JPK being our classic example

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'm pretty sure Derickx is pursuing a music career (not joking)
    Didn't Teddy give him a shout out in his retirement speech? And then there's also his modelling career. Despite Ludwig's numerous posts this is also not a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Didn't Teddy give him a shout out in his retirement speech? And then there's also his modelling career. Despite Ludwig's numerous posts this is also not a joke.
    Even Horse made note of what a popular member of the playing group Tom was, every footy club has a Tom Derrickx and they are usually the centre of all shenanighans

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think so. I can't perfectly explain it but it's about digging really deep and perhaps running until you throw up and then keep on running.
    It probably has its origins in the phrase, 'busting a gut': which means something like, running through the abdominal pain that you can get from running to exhaustion.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Great thread.

Tiggy Touchwood is a highly questionable technical pedantic decision. Not necessarily a shocker (as in GF) but one that is nonetheless questionable

Re Banana and Checkside, both are curved into goal but a banana is kicked with the in-step whereas a checkside kick is kicked off the outside of the boot. For a right footer a banana will curve to the left but a checkside will curve to the right.

As few other terms

* Selling the candy - a baulk or other fancy play where opposition players are given a glimpse of the footy and then left in the holders wake being made look silly in the process. Well known candy sellers include Cyril Rioli, Isaac Heeny and indeed just about every indigenous player to have played the game

* Spud - an overpaid and over-rated player, can be but is not always a list clogger who is a player on a list that has no hope of playing senior football (e.g. Tom Derrickx)

* Charlie - The Brownlow Medal

* Crumber - somewhat of an outdated term that refers to a small player who picks up the ball at ground level, often from the ruckman or as a small forward, often as a resting rover in the forward pocket (think Steve Wright, Tom Papley)

* Hanger, Speccy, Screamer - A mark taken above ground level, usually having gained leverage using an opposition player as a step ladder

* Sausage Roll - A goal

* Showpony, Flat Track Bully, Sheep Dog, Pea Heart - a player who is gifted in the skills area but shirks the tough stuff and "goes missing"
    "Selling the candy" sounds American to me. The original Aussie Rules term is "Selling the dummy"

"Charlie" is a Channel 7 fabrication and has never been in the vernacular of the game.

"Sheep Dog" is exemplified by Nathan Buckley
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

What's a FLOG ?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    "Selling the candy" sounds American to me. The original Aussie Rules term is "Selling the dummy"

"Charlie" is a Channel 7 fabrication and has never been in the vernacular of the game.

"Sheep Dog" is exemplified by Nathan Buckley
    Yes "Kelpie".

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    What's a FLOG ?
    I love the term flog! It's so nasty. (I don't actually like nastiness but it is a term that gets its message across colourfully and immediately.) I don't know what it means but it reeks of contempt. Perhaps wanker (someone who 'flogs' themself)? Or just an idiot. As in you could flog them but it would make about as much difference as flogging a log, they still wouldn't get it? I dunno.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast