Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Footy lingo - especially for newbies

"Flog" is a lazy term used by people who want to go along with the crowd and express their dislike for someone, even though they have no idea what it is about the person they supposedly dislike. It's a term I abhor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    My understanding is that a checkside in South Australia and a banana from Victoria are the same thing and kicked with the outside of the foot. A kick using the instep is a 'snap', I would have thought.

Posing the question, what do they call the banana in WA? The most common response being, "Who cares?"
    That's my understanding too. I always called it a checkside when I played footy in Vic (unless I was always wrong?). It's a banana here in SA

Senior Player
    Some more for you , Bloodspirit :

1)TOYME - a measurement of seconds/minutes . This term is used by Leigh Matthews.

2)Sevva-neen : a favourite of Brian "I have a pet sleeping on my head" Taylor.
    It is not exactly a word , but a number , between sixteen and eighteen.

3)Across : a simple word , but if you ever utter it in relation to Australian Rules Football , it must - MUST - be followed by "half back".
    One CANNOT play "across half-forward" or "across the back line". AFL rules prohibit this.
    Infractions carry a minimum one-game ban , even with an early plea.

4)"Yeah-no-yeah-no" : This is the answer given to the first journalist question at all Paul Roos's press conferences.

5)"Nothing in that" : a phrase used by commentators (ex-footballers only : never , ever Bruce or Sandy) .

It means "He's just been run over by a freight train , but there's no need for a free-kick."

It sounds like serious commentary , but in reality , it's an attempt to send the subliminal message of "back in my day , we were a lot tougher".

One can only marvel at how such laconic phrasing can convey so much meaning.

I don't think there's an AFL-specific term for how Cameron Ling creeps around dressing-rooms at half-time , whispering , in a faux attempt to convey both tact and pathos. The best I can offer for that is "plain bloody annoying".

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    What's a FLOG ?
    I absolutely hate that term. After all the Goodes rubbish in 2015, I'd love to see that term sent to the dustbin of history. It was the excuse used by most for their abhorrent behaviour - he's just a 'flog'.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Some more for you , Bloodspirit :

1)TOYME - a measurement of seconds/minutes . This term is used by Leigh Matthews.

2)Sevva-neen : a favourite of Brian "I have a pet sleeping on my head" Taylor.
    It is not exactly a word , but a number , between sixteen and eighteen.

3)Across : a simple word , but if you ever utter it in relation to Australian Rules Football , it must - MUST - be followed by "half back".
    One CANNOT play "across half-forward" or "across the back line". AFL rules prohibit this.
    Infractions carry a minimum one-game ban , even with an early plea.

4)"Yeah-no-yeah-no" : This is the answer given to the first journalist question at all Paul Roos's press conferences.

5)"Nothing in that" : a phrase used by commentators (ex-footballers only : never , ever Bruce or Sandy) .

It means "He's just been run over by a freight train , but there's no need for a free-kick."

It sounds like serious commentary , but in reality , it's an attempt to send the subliminal message of "back in my day , we were a lot tougher".

One can only marvel at how such laconic phrasing can convey so much meaning.

I don't think there's an AFL-specific term for how Cameron Ling creeps around dressing-rooms at half-time , whispering , in a faux attempt to convey both tact and pathos. The best I can offer for that is "plain bloody annoying".
    Brilliant! Thank you.

What's ESSADEN ?

Off topic now, but one of my favourite pieces of commentary was when an umpire measured a very long 15m penalty and the commentator (Dennis? Sandy?) said "gee, I wouldn't mind buying some land from him!"

What's ESSADEN ?
    Essenscum.

- - - Updated - - -

And my new favourite.... whorethorn.

(goswannies, you deserve an AO for that one.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    "Flog" is a lazy term used by people who want to go along with the crowd and express their dislike for someone, even though they have no idea what it is about the person they supposedly dislike. It's a term I abhor.
    The tripleM footy team use that term a lot. Far too much. I too hate it.

Goes up to 11
    What's a FLOG ?
    The correct term for use on social media is "your a flog".

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes, I've never liked it: to the extent that I haven't even bothered trying to find out, what exactly it's supposed to mean.

[QUOTE

* Spud - an overpaid and over-rated player, can be but is not always a list clogger who is a player on a list that has no hope of playing senior football (e.g. Tom Derrickx)

* Showpony, Flat Track Bully, Sheep Dog, Pea Heart - a player who is gifted in the skills area but shirks the tough stuff and "goes missing"[/QUOTE]

Why am I thinking Kurt 'the log' Tippett here?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast