Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Footy lingo - especially for newbies

I think the reason I like the word 'flog' more than others is that I have never actually heard anyone say it, only seen it in print. It seems to be a bit of a Melbourne word and so for a Sydneysider like me it has novelty value that I'm sure it might quickly outgrow if I heard it often enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The correct term for use on social media is "your a flog".
    Or in the plural "yous r flogs"?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Brilliant! Thank you.

"Yehdefinally": a word players are media-coached to use as the first part of any (positive) response to an interviewer's question.

Just wild about Harry
    "Transference of play" actually means "Transfer of play"

And while we are at it, "R-limpics" is similar to the Olympics but is only for adults.

And why do commentators wonder if the player "has got the trip" when lining up for a long range goal rather than just query if he has the distance?

And what about "Oh he's only kicked a minor score". (For years I puzzled why they called a point a "minus" score until someone told me they were saying "minor"). It's a point - so why not call it a point??

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And what about "Oh he's only kicked a minor score". (For years I puzzled why they called a point a "minus" score until someone told me they were saying "minor"). It's a point - so why not call it a point??
    What did you think when you heard "Oh he's only kicked a behind"?

I believe its called a Behind. So when you total your Goals and Behinds you get your Points.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I believe its called a Behind. So when you total your Goals and Behinds you get your Points.
    Ah well, back to the topic of footy lingo - why is it called a 'behind'??? (It's behind a goal in importance? It's kicked behind/outside the goal post? The player responsible needs a kick up the behind?)

Ah well, back to the topic of footy lingo - why is it called a 'behind'??? (It's behind a goal in importance? It's kicked behind/outside the goal post? The player responsible needs a kick up the behind?)
    I always thought it was because from the goal umpire's view a missed kick would be behind the goal posts....

Footy Speak :

So its good.
    i.e., I have no idea how to finish this sentence.

AAaahhh.....
    i.e., I am not sure what to say now and I need to fill in the sound void while I'm thinking (this does not apply to Hanners, or Ted for that matter, and I suspect Mills)

I dunno
    Specialty for one player who was taken aside and given some instruction. I was almost disappointed his next interview after the game was lucid. Mumms the word.

Nah he's good
    i.e., its only a flesh wound, he'll be right (I hope)

I don't know yet
    i.e., he's gone to hospital and I'm not sure if he's ever going to play again.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    Blind Turn

The art of running towards a player, then turning your side then back to him in a spinning motion, then around to face away from him and then run down the ground. Peter Bedford was a star at this.

Turn it up.

A common non abusive, expletive deleted term, used to disagree with an umpires decision.

Squib

A player who doesn't like the hard stuff. Usually the outside runner who plays on the wing.

Speedy squib

A fleet of foot squib.

Will of the wisp

The player who darts in and out of the play. Usually a half forward flanker who bobs up for the sneaky or flukey goal. Kevin Bartlett was termed as such. Often the half forward flanker of this type was also termed the speedy squib because they could be hidden on HFF.

Pea hearted

See speedy squib.

You dirty bludger You dirty mongrel

Were commonly used in the 60's, 70's and 80's when referring to a Hawthorn player. Example being the greatest player ever (LOL) Leigh Matthews who was a pure sniper. Delicate Des Dickson who just went round belting players and Kevin Coverdale who I saw as probably the most unscrupulous player I saw as a youngster. Don Scott was an angel compared to him. Matthews had plenty of role models.

Like a Catholic outside the chemist shop

Got the pill but doesn't know what to do with it.

Bring out the Pentridge doctor

Used by opposition supporters when they played Carlton and John Nicholls hit the deck (see You Dirty Bludger). The famed John Nicholls spent some time in the can for embezzlement. Well that was what he got caught for. Carlton supporters particularly hated this saying. Nicholls met his match in Ken Boyd of South at Princes park one day. Centre bounce and Nicholls deliberately kicks Boyd in the unmentionables. Boyd chases him to the forward pocket and decks him with a well aimed punch and broke his jaw and knocked him out.

A kicker

A player who got rubbed out for deliberately kicking another player. McIntosh from St Kilda got 8 weeks and was labelled for the rest of his career. It was not a good tag for a player and kicking was seen as about the worst thing a player could do, and usually carried a severe suspension.

Useless as tits on a bull

Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 2 metres

Poor kick for goal

Can't kick over a jam tin

A weak or poor kick.

Butter fingers

Can't hold their marks. Usually referred to a ruckman

You have to be effing joking

Refers to a poor umpiring decision.
    Last edited by Nico; 13th October 2016 at 07:00 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast